Terrible confort in long travel

OB_RCOREA

Registered
CanuckBusa,
I changed my footpegs to a set of TL 1000
pegs. They match the rear set and lowers it by about 1". Very comfortable and much easier to get your feet on and off.

Cruising above 160-165mph (indicated) extended does not work for me on the busa,too much helmet movement due to wind.Also,top speed is very hard on the busa,because my helmet has to be on the tank(then I can't see).If I raise my head 2" off the tank,I am back in the airstream and start loosing rpm's. No problems on the 12 at extended high or top speeds.I have seen 210mph (190-192 corrected) on the busa, still climbing,and 190-192 on the 12 no more left, both with a tail wind.

All very good suggestions. I didn't see a suggestion to wear ear plugs over long trips. This might not seem like a big thing but over a long time, the wind noise can give you a headache and increase your discomfort and your hearing.

My two cents,

Joe Zulaski

tough it is true the "busa" gives you a "face shield" blast off the wind screen...

I have 10,700 miles ... the wind blast was not bothersome, at and above 120 mph, with my rf700 shoei helmet, traveled 300 miles non stop, no problem!

bought the Hayabusa helmet, it was unbearable until I "padded" the helmet for proper "fit" ...

now that it fits "snug" no problem ...

moral of story ...

check your helmet for proper, snug-tight fit ...

it might return you to comfort with speed!

[This message has been edited by AQUADIOSMED (edited 12 April 2000).]

RCOREA, thanks for the tip. Did you lose the full 1" ground clearance from the TL pegs, or are they thinner than the Busa pegs leaving you with close to the same ground clearance?

Dear friends, last saturday I went to see in Bilbao (Spain) the history of bike show from BMW. The travel (my first long travel with the Busa) was 700 km and when I arrived to Bilbao I was in very bad fisic conditions. I can not run more than 170 Km/h because it was a lot of movement on my helmet and I have a lot of pressure on my head due to air. Is it normal? I am 1'85 cm tall. I tried to modify my position in the bike like profesional pilots but still same problem. I am thinking in new shield, some body experience? Sorry for my English.
Best regards,
Pere

Hola gamuza,

I experienced the same thing one and I attribute it to some weird cross wind. I remember my helmet was bouncing up and down violently and it just seemed no matter where I put my head it did not stop. Afterwards it stopped and have never done it again. I have gone all the way to 190 on the speedo and no problems. Just try it again and see.

Adios, Ride Safe, RJ

Always had the same problem with mine, though Badagindo is right. You makes the speed and you takes the pain!

I've invested in a Zero-Gravity Double Bubble shield, which has two advantages over the OEM unit. First off its higher, this gives you 1) better protection at speed and 2) when trundling around town, you don't have to kiss the tank to see the dash.

Got mine from TTS <http://www.tts-performance.co.uk>

[This message has been edited by Tangram (edited 12 April 2000).]

I have some suggestions: 1) Your helmet could be a bit too large for your head. It should be a very tight fit. 2) If you have the stock screen most of the wind blast goes straight at you chest. So I beleive it could be your helmet. 3) I installed a Zero Gravity sport touring (ZG ST)screen which gives you more protection, the wind seems to play around your helmet. I was informed by the manufacturer that I should install some tyoe of trim around the open edges of the screen and it would be less noisy. They mailed it to me and I installed it yesterday. I thinks the screen great you will love it. 4) I ordered Heli Bars, these raise your handle bars 1 3/4 inches. A little bit more comfortable.

The bike takes a little bit of getting used to, but when you do, it is great.
Browse through this board, there is lot of very good info.

I'm with RCOREA, you need a tight helmet. It is a bit of a hassle taking it on and off compared to the loose helmets lots of guys wear, but once you are on the road it feels just right. You can look over your shoulder at speed and the helmet stays put.

But even then, on a windy day or at speed, some discomfort with the stock bike can be expected.

I have ordered the ZG ST windshield. Something I can crouch behind on those nasty days. I am looking forward to it. We will see how it works.

The other discomfort I get is the firmness of the seat and the pegs being a bit high for my leg length. But I think I can adjust to this by riding and exercising more. You can always go with a Corbin seat and get lower pegs.

My other comment gamuza is how fit are you? The Busa is a big powerful bike, that demands more physical effort than alot of other bikes. If you are an office worker you need to hit the gym on a regular basis.

A GoldWing is comfortable, but they suck.

I am 55 years old.I have a 94 R1100RS, 99 busa, and 12R.Last summer I rode 3800mi in 9 days:90mph+ speeds.The busa was not only as comfortable as the BMW, it had almost as much range;my routine gas stops were 180-220miles to fill up.This was nearly all good interstate(no bumps).I have also taken some 500-1000milers on the busa;I am 5'11" 185lb.The 12 is more comfortable(leg room),has better wind protection,slightly softer suspension settings stock(like the articles say)but 75miles less range.FYI

Back