Ten Commandments.

Taoism was created as an anti-religion, actually, and to a lesser extent Buddhism. They are more philosophies and ways of life than religion. Of course, they were turned into religion with rituals, temples, etc. to compete with Hinduism and later Taoism with Buddhism. Of all, Taoism is really agnostic. I am not sure how you can be a devout agnostic, though. Atheist perhaps, but the other is like decidedly undecided. :super: :laugh:

Anyway, if you look at any religion, you have two levels. The higher level is the scholar level. The scholar studies the text, interprets them and applies the philosophy accordingly. The lower level (where most people in the world stay) is the religious level. It is filled with prayer, ritual, superstition and temples, churches, priests and monks are necessary part of it. The people following at this level are generally stubborn, they take the written word literally and are seemingly incapable of seeing the deeper meaning. Of course, there is nothing wrong with staying at this level, so long as you don't go burning people at the stake or go strapping bombs to your chest in the name of your religion. Unfortunately, for some, that seems to be the case, bringing us back to the problem of religion again. :D

I have studied many religions and just wanted to bring a few of those points here.

Oh, and one other point. I believe that the removal of the monument had a lot more to do with the judge than it did with the monument itself. He was pretty much using the court room as his religious preaching sesson. Had he kept a level of professionalism, I am sure none of us would be the wiser that the monument even existed in the first place.

Unfortunatly, it seems as if the media spun this one off in the wrong direction... as usual.

Believe in what you must or what you need ,for it is your believe.  Nobody can take that away from you.  
Believe in what you feel, but do not make others feel inferior in their beliefs.

Share your happiness with your beliefs, but stop when it becomes a push rod on others.:D

Quick thought here:

THEY took the Ten Commandment out of that Courthouse now.

What is the first thing that THEY ask anyone to do before taking the witness stand in a courtroom? Raise your right hand, place your left hand on the BIBLE, and repeat after me...

OH THE IRONY!

:devil:

A lot of interesting thoughts on the subject, but it does appear that at least here, the support is for keeping the monument. I do believe in Jesus Christ as my personal Savior. With that said, the removal of the monument has more to do with than religion.
The constituation does state that the federal government can not make laws reguarding religious issues concerning individual states, and the Judge in this case actually stated that he could not define religion. Judge Moore is upholding the Alabama constitution that recognizes God in the Alabama constitution.
This issue does not only concern religion, but it concerns the Federal Government's power over individual states. Once that happens, watchout the Feds have too much power. This case could give the Feds the begining to absolute power over individual states, I do realize that would be a ways off, but it is a start.
just my .02

Imagine

Imagine there's no heaven,
   It's easy if you try,
  No hell below us,
   Above us only sky,
  Imagine all the people
   Living for today...

Imagine there's no countries,
   It isn't hard to do,
  Nothing to kill or die for,
   an' NO RELIGION TOO,
  Imagine all the people,
   Living life in peace...

Imagine no possesions,
   I wonder if you can,
  No need for greed or hunger,
   A brotherhood of man,
  Imagine all the people
   Sharing all the world...

You may say I'm a dreamer,
   but I'm not the only one,
  I hope some day you'll join us,
   AND THE WORLD CAN LIVE AS ONE.

....of 'course everyone recognizes the song....an' the artist...Imagine....by John Lennon .    I'm especially fond of verse two, line four .

It's so sad that a man with such peace in his heart , and tallent in his hands and mind , had to be struck down by a guy with such STRONG RELIGIOUS BELIEFS .

Sorry KS   but I dont get it .  You mentioned that General Lee liked to read the bible ,   was that before or after he went out to slaughter black people , and those trying to get them equal rights .     Perhaps he missed the part , the part that says "All men are created equal".

Hitler was a religious man as well , loved to read the bible, it just seems sorta funny that he chose Jews to annihilate.
  After all , wasn't Jesus/God....a Jewish carpenter.

I loved those ancient times .   You remember...when they would burn you at the stake,for being something or other,THEN....say a prayer for yer soul .

Is'nt the belief in god a couple thousand years old?

It seems odd then that the belief in other things(religions) can be traced back far beyond a couple thousand years.

I dont know....actually....NO ONE DOES FOR SURE , thats what makes it such an interesting topic .  All I can say forsure is , HISTORY will atest to the fact that more than one religious fanatic wasn't altogether a very nice person . Fanaticism , usually turns out to be GENERALLY(General Lee) or most likely , against the common good .

Belief in anything that often results in destructiveness against what we really know...our fellow man for instance, cant be called a good thing .

In the end....common sence should prevail .

We live on a planet , a planet with many beliefs . We constantly kill one another over these beliefs .  When will we wake-up and realize its these beliefs that are constantly causing us(the worlds people) tremendous grief .

There are people out there willing to kill anyone , women ,children,   our fellow man .   Its the children that get me the most .   There are people out there ready willing and (the scariest) able , to kill helpless children over a belief .  
    NOT A PROVEN FACT .   NOT A REALITY .  Not a worked out scientific equation.....just a BELIEF .  They are willing to kill you and me over what ALLAH says .   Or what God says .
  Isn't just about time to wake up and realize that killing one another over whats been written in some book,perhaps hundreds or even thousands of years ago just isnt the LOGICAL aproach .

It might just be me....but I think its time for us .  You and me .  Its time to use our brains . Not the ones given to us by some almighty un/being .  Not the ones afforded us by some theorist like Darwin...
                               Just the brains given to us by our parents . The same parents who hoped for us , the next generation , to have a better world .  

REALITY HAS ENOUGH PROBLEMS , why dont we just deal with those first....

WE can deal with the hypothetical later .  

my usual closing......have a good 1.....RSD.

'God did not create man, man created God.' ;)
wow....I never really thought of it just that way before,thats cool Narc...makes me wanna take back what I said about yer "Fartin'-Sumo" paintjob on yer bike...then I thought...nah.

I workin' on this bumper sticker to give out on the board:

I fuggin' hate RSD :cussing:

I hope he burns in hell

Whadda ya think Narc....have I got a big seller or what?

Hey RSD, Man You are no longer allowed from this point on to give me any Sh*t about being "Deep" or writting too damn much.
Well Said, I may not agree with you on all points but well said.  

I knew there was a sensitive side in there...Or maybe not...  ;)   I won't tell anyone...

I workin' on this bumper sticker to give out on the board:

I fuggin' hate RSD  :cussing:

I hope he burns in hell

Whadda ya think Narc....have I got a big seller or what?
My brain seems too small to fully understand RSD's post.
WTF are you trying to accomplish, Rubber?
Are you running for governor of Cali too?
I don't know what you want, but you have my vote... :beerchug:

Back