Temporary Exhaust baffle ?

Daniel Sanders

Registered
Hi Im looking for a temporary exhaust baffle, of some kind ?

reason is, some times the events i want to goto the Cops do sounds checks on bikes.

Since I have a HMF Big bird, they will ping me, so im thinking is there some kind of suitable baffle i could just stick down the exhaust, and tighten up with a screw or something, I have considered the steel wool down the exhaust idea, but i honestly think it would blow the **** out :p

Any tips from those who have done this?

I've tossed around the idea of running duals with one stock and one gutted with electric cutouts to redirect flow. Like I said "tossed around"lol. I know two brothers makes a cap that reduces a few deb's nothing significant though.

ha that sounds interesting, maybe a progressive control through the rpm.
I've read some idea's were someone drills a hole some where and inserts a wire, and then twists the steel wool around that.

I also found alot of universal baffles on ebay, although i think i would need to measure my exhaust size to make sure it fits, some of them look like they just plonk in side, some look they have a screw.

i just noticed a can of red bull on the table!!!!, bit to mcguiver for me.

I think these could work
motorbike baffle | eBay

I think there worth a shot. Do the cops check before the event or during? Where I live we can get away with alot as far as vehicles.

I've tossed around the idea of running duals with one stock and one gutted with electric cutouts to redirect flow. Like I said "tossed around"lol. I know two brothers makes a cap that reduces a few deb's nothing significant though.

2bros makes 2 different inserts, a 4 db and an 8 db reduction...and they most certainly work, and dramatically.
I couldn't stand to ride my B-king, as it came with 2bros slip-ons. The drone was obnoxious. I bought the 8 db tips and could not belive the difference.

To the OP, the BigBird has an oblong/egg shaped tip on the end of the muffler, doesn't it?(Been years since I've seen one in person).
If you could fab an insert it would definatley quiet it down.
If the stock tip was/is round, you could simply get a piece of aluminum round stock and cut it to the length of the tip.
Drill the center out to around an inch. Drill and tap a hole in the side for a set screw. And, you'de also have to drill and tap the tip of the muffler; which is likely too thin, and would need an aluminum or stainless nut tig welded to it for strength and depth.
Even with an oblong/egg shaped opening in the muffler's tip, a piece of round stock that fits the opening would suffice. Since you're just trying to quiet it, not completely block the flow.
Or, even simpler; I would try a shaft collar. As they have a set screw built in. Find a shaft collar that fits in the tip snuggly. Drill a small hole on the back side of the muffler tip for the bolt to pass through. And replace the set screw with an allen head with a washer.
That'll quiet it down. Especially since all you want is to keep the cops of your back.
If you choose to ride with it in I'de use some medium lock-tite, to prevent vibration from backing the bolt out.

2bros makes 2 different inserts, a 4 db and an 8 db reduction...and they most certainly work, and dramatically.
I couldn't stand to ride my B-king, as it came with 2bros slip-ons. The drone was obnoxious. I bought the 8 db tips and could not belive the difference.

To the OP, the BigBird has an oblong/egg shaped tip on the end of the muffler, doesn't it?(Been years since I've seen one in person).
If you could fab an insert it would definatley quiet it down.
If the stock tip was/is round, you could simply get a piece of aluminum round stock and cut it to the length of the tip.
Drill the center out to around an inch. Drill and tap a hole in the side for a set screw. And, you'de also have to drill and tap the tip of the muffler; which is likely too thin, and would need an aluminum or stainless nut tig welded to it for strength and depth.
Even with an oblong/egg shaped opening in the muffler's tip, a piece of round stock that fits the opening would suffice. Since you're just trying to quiet it, not completely block the flow.
Or, even simpler; I would try a shaft collar. As they have a set screw built in. Find a shaft collar that fits in the tip snuggly. Drill a small hole on the back side of the muffler tip for the bolt to pass through. And replace the set screw with an allen head with a washer.
That'll quiet it down. Especially since all you want is to keep the cops of your back.
If you choose to ride with it in I'de use some medium lock-tite, to prevent vibration from backing the bolt out.

I stand corrected :bowdown: that's what these sites are for :beerchug:

Back