Templates in Microsoft Word ?help?

skydivr

Jumps from perfectly good Airplanes
Donating Member
Ok for the computer geeks out there (includes me but I'm stumped):

In my job, many times I have to send stuff out certified mail (return receipt requested). But I HATE handwriting the two USPS forms (PS Form 3811 and 3800). I got in my mind that I could create a template in MS Word, then cut/paste/print at least the address part, and feed the blank forms thru the printer, but I'm stumped. The form will not feed thru my printer in portrait mode, but in landscape it would without hanging/clogging. In Word, when you address a letter, the print dialog allows you to change the feed direction, but I can't find that in any options.

I have researched the net to see if anyone else has alread done this (GOTTA think someone has) but unsucessful. If any of you come across a link, or know how to do this, please let me know. There's gotta be an easy answer for this.

Thanks!

after digging a couple of those green monsters out of my 8150 I just gave up on the free feed method and tape them to sheet of paper... I now mostly use the USPS site and do pre printed lables with signature confirmation and tracking under $7 per envelope and they supply everything except the adhesive lable.. Priority mail works really pretty well and they have Express if you need overnight.. everything tracks online..

not sure if this is really a viable replacement for "Certified" however.. I just send a lot of medications this way.. I do know my Dymo330 prints a nicely sized label that you can paste over the forms :)

Last edited:
:laugh:

feed it the way it will feed, and in page setup in the template switch the orientation.

:whistle:

Last edited by a moderator:
like this:

howto1 copy.jpg

howto2.jpg

Sending Certified mail for legal reasons. Outtahand, yes that will work, but I will have to create a table and turn the text sideways so it will print like it looks on screen. There's got to be a 'feed' mechanism somehow so it views on screen correctly, then prints sideways when feeding the blank form....

I showed you how to "set the feed mechanism"
It's called portrait or landscape. TRY IT.

1. create a new document
2. make the dimensions the same as the form
3. eyeball where your text will go, set tabs where needed, enter some as a test
4. print one up on the form
5. make adjustments as needed
6. save as template

I'll give it a shot tomorrow time to go home for the day thanks!

Ok, now I got it. Was using newer version of Word confusing over the older versions had to figure out how to reread it. Created custom page size with custom margins, then a table that happens to come out in the right place. Saved as template. That way I can cut/paste address which will make it much easier thanks much!

Now do the same with the other form and I'm good! Thanks much!

what printer are you using? this monster I have wont take the forms..

If your printer will take an envelope it oughta take the card and slip. Works in my old HP Laserjet 4 and newer Color Laserjet 3700

Back