temperature gauge registering off the map at shut down

Sir Charge

Registered
Wondering what the issue is:

Recently purchased a 99 Busa w@9500 miles. Only mods that came with bike are :K&N air filter/power commander/ yoshi cans.

Changed all fluids....and purged the cooling system of any trapped air

But I've noticed that the bike seems to be running hot..(Roasting my boots and.the weather has been dry and @80 degrees, no humidity)..but the temp gauge is staying at the halfway line while operating..that is, until I shut off the bike and then the temp gauge shoots right up to the limit. The fan kicks on while running, but not as often as it should....given the residual heat the motor is throwing off....

this is my fifth 99/2000, so I'm familiar with the model. but this is the first time I've dealt with a heat issue. ....(and the chain is properly adjusted, not tight enough to be causing undo strain on the motor)

temp sensor? thermostat? fan relay?or is the fan not doing its job?
...and shouldn't the fan remain on after I shut the bike off? (which it is not)

bike otherwise runs great.....

input from anyone?:poke::banghead:

You mean when with the key in the 'on' position and ignition in 'off'? That's normal.

Should run in the middle as long as you are moving.

Fan will only be on with the key 'on'. Once you turn it to 'off' everything shuts off.

Gauge will always shoot up a couple seconds after you switch ignition off, even when cold. Reads normal when you ignition is in run position (with kickstand up or gear in neutral).

the gauge is shooting up and staying there in the red zone for many minutes...with bike off , key still on

so what about the extra heat.....this bike seems to be running hotter...and of the previous four, three were stock, one had all the emissions removed, race airbox, power commander, full stainless/carbon HMF system.....I sat in plenty of bumper to bumper traffic on really hot days without this level of heat on any one of them.....and this has been the coolest (temps) summer in the northeast for a number of years

I'm experiencing it at highway speeds, never mind when the bike is stationary...

Used a hondaline coolant...

I'm ready to mount a second fan

Last edited:
it sounds like the thermostat is working ok.. so you may possibly get something if you back flush the rad..drain the cooling system and re-fill with water and see if fault is gone.. if gone drain cooling again and refill with a mix of 1:1 anti freeze and water. anti-freeze is used as lubricant to the pump so it needs to be there in the system even you ride in a hot climate.

If this does not cure it check the pump is working it maybe faulty... fitting another fan would mask the problem...

the temp gauge should sit in the middle of the scale on the gauge even in hot city rough riding... suzuki recommend not immediately switching off the engine after a ride but giving it a couple seconds for the coolant to cycle round..

Low oil level will also give you longer delay in the gauge coming down.

if you park your bike on the side stand moving the bike from off the side stand can bring the oil warning light off...

this warning light will not cancel usually unless you provide a new electrical imput to the bike, switch the bike on/off usually does it

if you still looking at doing a mod i would think copy the car manufactures that have installed a delay switch on the fan.. i.e. if you have switched your ignition off but the temp still high the fan cycles for approx a 60 secs or until the temp is in normal temp range... that should be much cheaper... if you are able to combine this with the pump moving coolant round the engine it would be good solution..

Hey, I don't know if i'm missing something here, but is it doing this with the kill switch in the on position? Mine is a 2000, stock, which when I kill the engine with the kill switch and leave it in the 'On' position, the temp gauge shoots to the top of the gauge (in the red) and 'CHEC' is displayed where the clock is. Once the kill switch is turned to the run position the gauge returns to the engine temp and the clock re-appears. Hope this helps?

Hey, I don't know if i'm missing something here, but is it doing this with the kill switch in the on position? Mine is a 2000, stock, which when I kill the engine with the kill switch and leave it in the 'On' position, the temp gauge shoots to the top of the gauge (in the red) and 'CHEC' is displayed where the clock is. Once the kill switch is turned to the run position the gauge returns to the engine temp and the clock re-appears. Hope this helps?

this will also happen if you have the kickstand down when you turn bike on.

as fast as it sounds like its going up (immediately) it sounds like the kickstand or kill switch. It's normal after you shut the bike off for the temp to rise due to fluids not circulating anymore. You can try some engine ice to help with your temps though or get the muzzy fan blade. Going with a dual fan would help ALOT. You can also heat wrap your headers.

Back