temp difference from left to right cylinders?

dmallord

Registered
2004, full yoshi, pc, small air box mod, pair valve mod, 16700 on the clock.

hi guys,

doing a little cleaning last night, letting the motor idle as i happily wiped down fairings. i noticed that my left 2 header tubes from the cylinders were glowing orange, yet the right 2 were not anywhere near as bright. combustion efficiency? runs pretty smooth, not like i have dead holes or anything. if this were carbs i would say that i had a mixture issue. so, maybe vacuum leak? i have fairings on currently. im thinking dis-assemble for inspection.

fuel injected/ individual throttle blades/ injectors... control issue?

any thoughts?

my first thoughts would be weak mixture also , as you rightly say i would check for air leaks
does the motor run sweet , ie any signs of missfire ? although i see you say not
if nothing found it may be worth doing a throttle body sync , do the pipes cool if you bring the revs up ?
its running way to hot & could result in valve /engine damage

hi, and thanks.

i called suzuki and was advised normal. however, i still wasnt comfortable. ive been running a generic map for the pc, and i decided to have it dynotuned/ mapped. it turns out that i was lean. maybe not so lean as to cause immediate damage, but over time...

bike runs much better. smoother response from idle. it didnt feel bad before...just better now.

my dyno numbers came in at 147 before, and 155 after. ehhh... isnt stock 160? or is that at the crank, not at the tire?

david

As for the temp, was the bike on the the side stand??

hi, and thanks.

i called suzuki and was advised normal. however, i still wasnt comfortable.

my dyno numbers came in at 147 before, and 155 after. ehhh... isnt stock 160? or is that at the crank, not at the tire?

david

I wouldnt be comfortable either to be told thats normal , but ive been wrong before ???

of course the best test would be to see if the pipes still glow since the tune , as for the bhp not sure what the stock figures are for gen 2
my 99 gen 1 came out at 169 but as long as your happy with the result its all good
cheers Dale

If the bike was on the side stand, the 2 left cylinders will be hotter than the right side!
I wouldnt be comfortable either to be told thats normal , but ive been wrong before ???

of course the best test would be to see if the pipes still glow since the tune , as for the bhp not sure what the stock figures are for gen 2
my 99 gen 1 came out at 169 but as long as your happy with the result its all good
cheers Dale

there is a lot to say with a PC and a good dyno tune even with a stock busa and exhaust.The fuel maps from factory are just crap

All of the exhaust temps should be within 80~100* of each other. Something is not right, they should not be "glowing red" while at idle, the glowing is common under high load or RPM in radical engines (ie: turbo/high compression/racing applications) but shouldn't be the case for a stock 'busa engine.

hey guys,

yeah the tuner said i was pretty dang lean from idle to about 5k. my most used range! it runs great now, no glowing at idle!

and, it was on the side stand. i have to echo the why that matters though?

Back