Tell me about the AMS 1K

Kevin Jones

Registered
I have done my research, determined that had I gone that route to begin with, I could have avoided some of the things which it seems I purchased to deal with problems that could have been handled by that device. IE, wheelbase. I could have stayed swb with it set up properly $, even on the track. Which means I could have stuck with the stock shock $ Which means I could have avoided a tiger tail, etc. Its all water under the bridge but I am willing to accept that a boost controller is a tool that I need even though my bike must function on the street as well. I do have some questions though.

According to IDBL rules, a "electronic two step" precludes you from certain classes although the terminology of the rules doesnt specify. Can a boost controller keep you from running in certain classes where turbos are legal?

Also, is the datalogging in the AMS any good as opposed to the logboxpro I already have? Of course the provided map sensor with the AMS is going to be spot on which is one of the problems I have been having with the LBP, calibration. The LBP does not calibrate easily with the gen 1. It is a battle. Quicksilver and I were just talking about this and the frustrations.

Can you tell me your experience, would you have upgraded/gone with another brand?

the AMS is legal in all classes. 1000 will data log boost. 2000 is a full data logger but that is $1800 complete. I disagree with stock wb and shock. I still think u benefited with both if ur lookn to go fast! ull jus go faster now with an 1000 imo.

I just kind of feel foolish now. I fought the need to do it but I look back now and all those other guys were using progressive nitrous controllers. Why did I think this was anything different? I can be so stubborn.

Don't be so hard on yourself. You have come a very long way with all the stuff you have been doing with the bike. Its not easy to control that boost in the lower gears,thats why I had suggested a while back about turning it down a little with a simple $30 regulator setup.

One thing to consider though,being that you are strictly limited to how much boost you can run at this point,I'd opt for using Co2 as a pressure source instead of plenum pressure because it's much more accurate at holding your target boost. If you were to exceed your max boost by a few psi that could be catastrophic. Co2 gets a bit pricey,because now you need a Co2 bottle&a hi pressure regulator($$$). You also need a convenient place to access the bottle valve like a bottle holder on your swingarm. This is one of the main reason's I just bought a McIntosh Alumipro arm,I now have a place to mount the bottle instead of shoving it behind the side fairings on the back which is a pain in the ass to access to turn on&off.
Another thing,if you're gonna use the controller for drag racing most guys will run a small 2lb or 4lb spring since the AMS will be controlling boost at the launch and you dont wanna leave the line at 10lbs or whatever big spring you have in your gate.
So now when you go out for a nice street ride and wanna roll into some boost on the highway,you will have to have the AMS activated otherwise you will be on the WG spring and,which depending on what size spring you have,may only give you 2 or 4psi. Riding around with 4psi is boring!!! Lol.
Anyways,you should have your new phone by now so shoot me a text later;)

Gotta wait till the GF gets off work to activate it but in the meantime on the way to the 1/8th mile right now!!!. All in like Texas hold em for a 6.50. Damn, I never thought that would be hard. Nice n easy today. May not even go 100%TPS till I hit 3rd. Lets see and will keep some slips.

Gotta wait till the GF gets off work to activate it but in the meantime on the way to the 1/8th mile right now!!!. All in like Texas hold em for a 6.50. Damn, I never thought that would be hard. Nice n easy today. May not even go 100%TPS till I hit 3rd. Lets see and will keep some slips.
Good luck!!!
and Co2 will build boost faster as well so its a win-win.

True true. Im jealous you have the 2000 lol. Damn you & your being-single antics!!:moon: :rofl:

I have a co2 bottle already for my shifter. Today went off like a lead balloon. The cheapo quick access cover I bought came apart probably during my burnout and I didnt know it until I came off the line in my typical spinning fashion which surprised me (tire was covered in oil, I didnt know it), I thought I had it figured out. Then I went to short shift to get out of it and it wouldnt go into 2nd. I knew something was up. Went to the end and it had blown oil all down the track. I dont have many fans right now lol. But, good thing it happened there and not on the highway and I think the motor is ok as it didnt blow out too much oil before I reacted to the problem. It was a converted stock clutch cover made into a quick access. I have the one that came with the clutch just not quick access, will try again tmrw.

Something is up with that tire. I dont know, i did 2 burnouts with it but it seems like the oil changed the texture on that side. Is it ruined? I didnt know an oil spill on a tire could mess it up like that, Shinko hook up.

I drove it around after those burnouts, seemed like it worked ok. There is something different about that texture, not sure if its old or new style. I will grab a bead breaker on the way to track in morning and take the MT slick and if the hook up acts funny after the first pass, just pop on that slick. Brett, your insomnia is worse than mine.

lol I know I was jus lookn at that and was like I'm glad I'm not the only jerk up at this hour:beerchug:. well, there were certainly problems with some with the old hook-ups. rob at boosted cycles had a chunk come off of his but I'm pretty sure it had somthn to do with the burnout and that tire not likn that or gettn too hot but he wasn't the only one.

I personally never had an issue and it hooked like velcro on my old setup at 335 whp at 61.5 inches. but..... i do have an ams and without it it wud hav been a wheelie machine. I can't honestly see how ppl ride a Turbo bike without a BC. guess its all relative to power.

but the new one is the cats ass and if I didn't have a brand new Power One on my bike no doubt 100% id be gettn the new hook up. PST guys have gone deep in the 6's with it this year....

can't remember wat separates the two. its a color in the line in the tire or somthn can't remember

2nd attempt today. Stopping by harbor freight on way to track for bead breaker. Dunno if I have the capacity to make a bead on the slick with just a 12v tire pump though. Prolly not.

Burnouts. I did a lot of them today/ 6.48 best with a 1.86 60'. I dont have any fiber left on my plates which is stupid that I tried to set up and tune a locking clutch without installing a new pack. Im learning as I go.

Ok a solvent may have removed most of the oil with a burnout following for final clean

if you have gone through a set of plates already its about time to check the oil pickup

Back