TECHNICAL QUESTION

I have the limited edition Busa, keeps blowing the ignition fuse...anyone familiar with this?
rock.gif
He's not worried about me getting help with my problem is he? Could have started his own thread. lol

Not too big of a job to take a peek at the countersprocket. Guess it looked ok when you replaced the chain?

Not too big of a job to take a peek at the countersprocket. Guess it looked ok when you replaced the chain?
Yeah it looked fine. BUT I put the chain on in the fall last year and it got really dry over the winter and developed a slight popping noise on the first time I had it out this year. Cleaned it, lubed it, took it out and rode and it went away. I assumed it was just a kink I worked out in the chain. But after a few rides it is now back and worse.

Put the bike on a stand and roll the rear wheel. If the chain has any tight spots you have probably found the source of the noise. You may be able to get away with replacing the sprockets alone if the chain is new enough and undamaged. As a rule,chain and sprockets are recommended to be replaced as a set. Often sprockets will be worn to the point of causing problems like this, but still show no signs of obvious wear to the naked eye.

what size front sprocket? when I went one tooth down in the front, it mad a HUGE difference in being noisier..... the stock countershaft sprocket has noise/vibration dampeners on both sides...

Can you mostly hear it when the engine is off, and you are rolling it forward in neutral?
Precisely dude. You can ONLY hear it when the engine is off and its rolling in nuetral. I never noticed it until pushing it into the garage
okay,

is it stock front sprocket? if so, new chain or sprocket will be needed - inspection pending

if aftermarket sprocket - 99% sure the noise is from just that.... an aftermarket sprocket.

.........the first time I rolled my bike with the 16t ft sprocket, I thought I broke somethin.. just sounds wierd.

If you need a pic of a stock sprocket to compare to yours, just holler.  or ask.  
wink.gif

Chains and sprockets should be changed at the same time....take some kerosene and clean the chain again. Then take it around the block for a short ride, then check it again for the noise. How many miles on the chain
rock.gif
How many miles on the sprockets
rock.gif
What gears are you running
rock.gif
Stock gearing is 17/40. Did the noise go away or change in any way after you cleaned it
rock.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif

Put the bike on a stand and roll the rear wheel. If the chain has any tight spots you have probably found the source of the noise. You may be able to get away with replacing the sprockets alone if the chain is new enough and undamaged. As a rule,chain and sprockets are recommended to be replaced as a set. Often sprockets will be worn to the point of causing problems like this, but still show no signs of obvious wear to the naked eye.
Thanks a lot man. I did not replace the sprockets with the chain so that could be the issue. I am gonna tear into the bike thursday on my day off. I will let you know what I find.

what size front sprocket? when I went one tooth down in the front, it mad a HUGE difference in being noisier..... the stock countershaft sprocket has noise/vibration dampeners on both sides...

Can you mostly hear it when the engine is off, and you are rolling it forward in neutral?
Precisely dude. You can ONLY hear it when the engine is off and its rolling in nuetral. I never noticed it until pushing it into the garage
okay,

is it stock front sprocket? if so, new chain or sprocket will be needed - inspection pending

if aftermarket sprocket - 99% sure the noise is from just that.... an aftermarket sprocket.

.........the first time I rolled my bike with the 16t ft sprocket, I thought I broke somethin.. just sounds wierd.

If you need a pic of a stock sprocket to compare to yours, just holler.  or ask.  
wink.gif
It's the stock sprocket......got 10,000 miles on it to. It's prolly due

Chains and sprockets should be changed at the same time....take some kerosene and clean the chain again. Then take it around the block for a short ride, then check it again for the noise. How many miles on the chain
rock.gif
How many miles on the sprockets
rock.gif
What gears are you running
rock.gif
Stock gearing is 17/40. Did the noise go away or change in any way after you cleaned it
rock.gif
The chain has about 2500 miles on it. and the sprockets are stock 17/40 and have 10,000 miles on them. The noise went away the first time after a clean and ride but this time only 400 miles after a clean and lube it is back and worse.

rock.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif

There's a big part of the problem.... You should always change the sprockets with the chain. They work as a team. My guess is the front sprocket is worn or you have a misalignment problem between the rear and the front.

Well I believe this is the problem to. But here is my next question.......the rear sprockets looks fine I see absolutely no wear on it so I think it's just the front. Would you guys switch just the front or do both and if so can you recommend a good sprocket? I have never replaced them and want a good wearing quality set. I will be going with stock gearing.

I replaced both, despite the fact that the rear looked fine. Didn't want any problems and haven't had any.

Back