TECHNICAL QUESTION

busa_boy_69

Registered
Me and a buddy of mine went out riding yesterday for 3-4 hours. When I got home I let my bike sit in the driveway for an hour before pulling it into the garage. When I sat on it without starting it back up to push it in there was a loud clunking noise coming from what seems to be the front sprocket area. I was wondering if it is from that area what possible problems could it be? Is this common on a busa? Keep in mind the chain was just cleaned and lubed about 300-400 miles ago and the adjustment on the chain has the proper amount of slack. I have not taken the fairing of yet to look at it. I just wondered if someone can steer me in the right direction of a possible problem. Thanks in advance to any who respond.
BB69

Thats definetly not common on a busa!! Are you sure that sound came from the front
rock.gif
...did you bike take a impact on your ride just before you parked it
rock.gif

rock.gif

Thats definetly not common on a busa!! Are you sure that sound came from the front
rock.gif
...did  you bike take a impact on your ride just before you parked it
rock.gif
Nope....it was running smoothly and I don't wheelie either. Never hit anything on the road. Definately coming from the front. Sounds like either a chain or sprocket issue I just don't know what might cause it since it was just cleaned lubed and the tension is right. It never did it until coming back from the ride yesterday but I was riding a little hard.

rock.gif

Are you sure it's the front sprocket? The Cush drive rubbers going bad cause this symptom, but the noise comes from the rear hub.

....Not able to pinpoint anything in perticular, but taking a wild guess I suggest you check your rear suspension ones!! Also suggest you check the rear suspensio dogbones.

Are you sure it's the front sprocket? The Cush drive rubbers going bad cause this symptom, but the noise comes from the rear hub.
I had my buddy kneel down and with his head around different areas of the motorcycle and listen for where it was coming from. He pointed the the left side fairing where the front sprocket area is and said dude it sounds like it's coming from there. It makes the popping noise every few inches. Which it only does when the bike is rolling which leads me to suspect its a drive issue. But the sound for sure seems to be coming from that area. I am really confused.

Hmmmm seems kinda quiet on this response. I am starting to get worried now. If no one on the board knows where to start I may have a serious problem.

I would not worry it unless you can repeat the noise over and over again, maybe the kickstand was not up all the way? I am kind of anal about that sort of stuff so to keep my sanity if I hear something or something happens just one time I dont worry about it until it can be duplicated over and over again.

I would not worry it unless you can repeat the noise over and over again, maybe the kickstand was not up all the way?   I am kind of anal about that sort of stuff so to keep my sanity if I hear something or something happens just one time I dont worry about it until it can be duplicated over and over again.
I can repeat it. Every 4-5 inches the bike is rolled it does it repeatadely over and over. I am anal about my bike to but this is not an issue of me being anal something is not right I know it.

Sounds like a worn chain or countersprocket. Pull the cover and inspect the sprocket. When I replaced my chain I noticed something similar. The reason for replacement was "tight spots" in the chain as I rolled the bike. The rear sprocket looked perfect, but the front showed a lot of wear upon inspection.

FWIW....when I first got my '03 busa w/ 1,600 miles on it about 2 months ago I noticed all sorts of clunkyness that seemed to stem from the clutch side to the cog side...and of the many ill adjusted things the first newbie owner failed to ever address which I did was..."Idle Speed"...and as recieved my new-to-me busa was idling low and rough at 950rpms...and when I touched the throttle the thing would clunk enough to garner strong concern from me..but once I set the idle speed too 1,150-1,200rpm range/area?...much to my amazement about 99% of that clunkyness immediately and effectively...

went away.

I think in my case it was a "Internal Lash Issue" that's only present when the idle revs are adjusted too low.

Hope that helps and L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Sounds like a worn chain or countersprocket. Pull the cover and inspect the sprocket. When I replaced my chain I noticed something similar. The reason for replacement was "tight spots" in the chain as I rolled the bike. The rear sprocket looked perfect, but the front showed a lot of wear upon inspection.
I was kinda thinking that to man. I know it can't be the chain. The back has 10,000 miles right now and I just put a new chain on at 8,000. It's an x-ring chain to so it's been holding up pretty good. The sound pretty much seems like it is coming from the front sprocket area. The rear seems to be fine no signs of wear at all. If it is the front sprocket you have any recommendations of a good replacement? I have never changed a sprocket yet and want something good.

This has not happened on my Busa but on a freinds GIXXER 600. He had to relube his chain. He cleaned the chain and relubbed it and it went away... He shortly replaced the chain there after as well.

ROYZGSX

what size front sprocket? when I went one tooth down in the front, it mad a HUGE difference in being noisier..... the stock countershaft sprocket has noise/vibration dampeners on both sides...

Can you mostly hear it when the engine is off, and you are rolling it forward in neutral?

Me and a buddy of mine went out riding yesterday for 3-4 hours. When I got home I let my bike sit in the driveway for an hour before pulling it into the garage. When I sat on it without starting it back up to push it in there was a loud clunking noise coming from what seems to be the front sprocket area. I was wondering if it is from that area what possible problems could it be? Is this common on a busa? Keep in mind the chain was just cleaned and lubed about 300-400 miles ago and the adjustment on the chain has the proper amount of slack. I have not taken the fairing of yet to look at it. I just wondered if someone can steer me in the right direction of a possible problem. Thanks in advance to any who respond.
                                                                       BB69
I have the limited edition Busa and it keeps blowing the ignition fuse...twice...its in shop now anyone familiar with this??? Help!

what size front sprocket? when I went one tooth down in the front, it mad a HUGE difference in being noisier..... the stock countershaft sprocket has noise/vibration dampeners on both sides...

Can you mostly hear it when the engine is off, and you are rolling it forward in neutral?
Precisely dude. You can ONLY hear it when the engine is off and its rolling in nuetral. I never noticed it until pushing it into the garage

Back