Technical question

busa_boy_69

Registered
I was hoping some gear heads here can offer me some help. I got my Busa out the past couple days and rode her. She is running strong just like normal. My problem is that this morning when i went to push her out of the garage before I had even started it when it was still in nuetral and rolling backwards I keep hearing a popping type noise that sounds as though it's coming from the chain. Now It has only had about 800 miles put on it since the last chain cleaning, however due to it being winter and it has sat a while I am wondering if the lube has kinda gotten old. I looked at the chain and it does appear a little dry. My question is could a chain that needs a good cleaning and lubing cause a popping sound every so many turns on the sprocket? I am working a ton of hours this week so I won't have a chance to clean it till Tuesday but I am hoping the problem is that it just needs cleaned. If not there may be a serious problem here and THAT is worrying me. I guess if you guys can just verify that a dry chain can cause that I can rest easier till tuesday. Appreciate the help fellas.

Clean and lube your chain....if the noise is gone, then you need to take better care of your chain. Being that it probably has not been lubed since some time last fall
rock.gif
and its still cold and damp outside your chain might have some corrosion built on the rollers and pins.

<!--EDIT|BA BUSA
Reason for Edit: None given...|1111210857 -->

Clean and lube your chain....if the noise is gone, then you need to take better care of your chain. Being that it probably has not been lubed since some time last fall
rock.gif
and its still cold and damp outside your chain might have some corrosion built on the rollers and pins.
I think thats what it is. On the outside of the chain there is a little corrosion colored build up like around where the pins go through. I didn't notice it till yesterday. I am not riding the bike until I can get it cleaned and lubed up. I guess I just didn't think sitting would cause that but appearantly it will.

From what you say... I assume it might be a loose chain!
I don't think its a matter of the chain being loose. I checked yesterday and it might BARELY need to be tightened JUST A BIT......but it is no where near loose enough to cause an issue like this. I think it's just the pins are corroded and dry. I am gonna give it a clean and lube job tuesday and I am gonna say there is about a 90% chance thats the problem. At least I am HOPING so

Stupid question but is it adjusted right? How much play do you have in it?
The chains adjustment is right where it should be.
itis? what isit then on your bike and how are you checking it
I check it by grabbing the chain and moving it up and down to make sure the travel distance on it is what the suzuki manual recommends.
so ou have at 1.25" min. on the sidestand and you checked in in 6 different spots?
you sprokect or chain could be toast. how many miles and what chain?
Plus clean you chain? with what?

fast way to handle your chain, clean with wd-40, place dirty towels up under it because grease drips big time, and then lube. the best time to lube is after a good ride, chain is heated lube sticks right on.

Double check to make sure your sprocket is riding straight down the center of the chain. If it is riding to one side or the other then it could pop like that. Especially when backing up. The sprockets wear in one direction and if the chain rubs on one side when backing up, the sprocket is sharper on the back side and could catch easier. Double check your sprocket for wear.

I check it by grabbing the chain and moving it up and down to make sure the travel distance on it is what the suzuki manual recommends.
so ou have at 1.25" min. on the sidestand and you checked in in 6 different spots?
Yes the chain adjustments checked out within specs. It's a DID 530 x ring chain with only just under 1000 miles on it. I put it on just before winter hit here.

Also I never checked the front sprocket cuz I haven't taken the fairings off but I inspected the rear sprocket and it has almost no signs of wear. All the teeth are healthy. It's the original factory sprockets by the way with 9,000 miles on the bike.

Double check to make sure your sprocket is riding straight down the center of the chain. If it is riding to one side or the other then it could pop like that. Especially when backing up. The sprockets wear in one direction and if the chain rubs on one side when backing up, the sprocket is sharper on the back side and could catch easier. Double check your sprocket for wear.
I am going to give it a good cleaning and inspection tuesday and see if it stops the noise. If it's not the lack of lubricatrion which I believe it is my second thoughts were the alignment. Just like you said I will check that second. I am just hoping for the easy fix.

Back