Tech Question

busa_boy_69

Registered
I have a 2003 Busa. I have a set of yoshimura rs3 race baffle bolt ons on it with a power commander pcIII usb and a k and n air filter. Now the problem I have ran into lately is that my bike has begun backfiring rather violently at times. It only seems to do it when I am on hard acceleration and just let the throttle all the way back. When it is winding down and gets to around 5,000 rpms to 4,000 it will backfire really loud once most of the times but sometimes 2 or 3 pops on the way down. Now it only seemed to start doing this when it started getting really hot and humid around here. I am thinking that what is causing the problem is the hot thin air is not giving the engine as much as it needs which is causing the bike to run rich. I have a map that I downloaded off power commanders website for my particular mods. Now I am wondering if you guys have any suggestions on how to fix this cuz I have never really experienced this problem before. I am kinda worried that it may be harmfull to my bike and wanna get it fixed. Any and all help is appreciated. Specially from Johnny cheese cuz u seem to be the man with power commanders.

Yea! If you haven't done the pair valve removal and don't want the buy the block of plates, do the mod with the marble.

no it doesnt have to be removed but will cause the backfiring if the marble mod isnt done
Well now I at least know where to look to fix the prob. Just one other question though. When I put the bolt ons on the bike it only had like 2,000 miles on it. It did not start this back fire problem until about 11,000 miles. IF it is the PAIR valves causing it would it take time for the problem to arise like this?

Anyone care to field this last question? It's been a few days and I still haven't got any opinions yet. If it could take time for the PAIR valves to cause a backfire then that prolly is what the problem is. I just need to know before I order the block off plates.

well thats a good question i dont have the answer for that some one will be along that knows might just take some time  
wink.gif

<!--EDIT|id_gunnut
Reason for Edit: None given...|1120757903 -->

hrmm....

I don't think you need a PC III for bolt-ons. Try disconnecting the PC....

You may also want to check the kinda map you're running with the PCIII. I don't think it would be neccessary to run the map.

And you may also want look into the air filter. It could be clogged up....therefore not bringing enough air into the system and increasing the amount of fuel fumes.

Aside from this, I really don't know why it's backfiring. Sounds odd to me....

I agree with PAC... you dont need a PC3 for a bolt-on!! I suggest that you remove it... or you remove/disable the PAIR. That should solve your problem. Alternatively, you might also want to talk to quasar from suzukihayabusa.org to make a custom map for you...

I agree with PAC... you dont need a PC3 for a bolt-on!! I suggest that you remove it... or you remove/disable the PAIR. That should solve your problem. Alternatively, you might also want to talk to quasar from suzukihayabusa.org to make a custom map for you...
I really don't think the PC is the problem. I spoke with a dynojet tuning center before purchasing it and asked the guy if it was necessary. He told me no it wasn't but having it would only help. He said every bike he's ever tuned with slip ons and a PC he has always been able to squeeze out 1 or 2 horsepower. And it is widely known that a PC is not necessary with slip ons but IS recommended. Now the map COULD be the issue but what I don't understand is that the PC was put on the bike around 5,000 miles. I have not had a bit of trouble up until around 11,000 miles. Something has changed in the equation that is not adding up to me. It coule be the PAIR valve but why would it take so long to have an effect like this? It could be the MAP that I used in the PC but why would it take so long to have an effect?

hrmm....

I don't think you need a PC III for bolt-ons. Try disconnecting the PC....

You may also want to check the kinda map you're running with the PCIII. I don't think it would be neccessary to run the map.

And you may also want look into the air filter. It could be clogged up....therefore not bringing enough air into the system and increasing the amount of fuel fumes.

Aside from this, I really don't know why it's backfiring. Sounds odd to me....
The map could be a possibility. I am running a map from Power commanders website for a pair of yoshimura slip ons and a k and n air filter which is exactly what I am running. I did however JUST clean out the air filter about a month ago so it is totally fine. I guess maybe I need to try a custom map and get the PAIR valves outta there and see if that stops it

Back