Tech head question?

ks-waterbug

Group Buy Guy
Donating Member
Registered
Have a friend who drives a tractor/trailer and his job takes him back and forth across the United States. He just bought a laptop and was looking to be able to surf the web/e-mail while on the road. What are some of the available options for internet access? Any personal experience? Whats the fastest access, most reliable, & who to get it through?

heavybusa

Just another guy
Donating Member
Registered
So he has a few options:

I use a Verizon Wireless Card and can connect anywhere there is coverage (which is pretty much anywhere). There is a monthly fee and he can write it off as travel expenses.

29047_pdi.gif

This option also stays in the laptop so if he goes in a hotel, diner, or wherever it will still work.

There is also the more Expensive stuff that is commected to the truck. BUt it provides a lot of features like navigation, TV, internet and other goodies.

Professor

Hayabusa Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Registered
(heavybusa @ Dec. 07 2006,08:32) So he has a few options:

I use a Verizon Wireless Card and can connect anywhere there is coverage (which is pretty much anywhere). There is a monthly fee and he can write it off as travel expenses.

29047_pdi.gif

This option also stays in the laptop so if he goes in a hotel, diner, or wherever it will still work.

There is also the more Expensive stuff that is commected to the truck. BUt it provides a lot of features like navigation, TV, internet and other goodies.
I'm almost afraid to ask. What are you seeing in monthly fees? I'm afraid because I sure don't need another monthly service fee for entertainment!
wink.gif

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
I have one and have used it for awhile... The biggest problem I see is that Verizon requires you to be a business to qualify for the service. That may not be the rule anymore but I could not get one personally the company had to get it. Pricing runs about 80 bucks a month... A little more for the G3 equipment, if your ok with 256k downloads the G1 and G2 are pretty cheap these days...

cap

heavybusa

Just another guy
Donating Member
Registered
(captain @ Dec. 07 2006,10:34) I have one and have used it for awhile... The biggest problem I see is that Verizon requires you to be a business to qualify for the service. That may not be the rule anymore but I could not get one personally the company had to get it. Pricing runs about 80 bucks a month... A little more for the G3 equipment, if your ok with 256k downloads the G1 and G2 are pretty cheap these days...

cap
+1 If you dont have a business liscense you should get one so that you can write a lot of expenses off on taxes.

I also remembered that my Blackberry 8700 has a tethering option that alows me to use it as a modem.

But I do not know how much that costs off the street.

SAMBUSA

TATTOO'D WHITE TRASH
Donating Member
Registered
Guy I work with has a cord going from his PC to his cell phone. Connects that way. Dont know how it works or how much it costs him. He has a sprint phone
rock.gif

semi

Whoooosh!
Donating Member
Registered
Sprint also has a Wireless Card just like heavy's verizen one...don't know how they would compare...one of my local friends uses it for work and also a friend of mine that drives a truck out of TX uses it...just talking to them makes me think it works great along major highways and in major population areas but loses contact in the boonies

my Sprint cell phone (Samsung SPH-A920) is phone-as-modem capable so a laptop can be linked to the internet through it...not sure what the cost for either service would be

guido4512

Donating Member
Registered
My sister in law has the Verizon plan / card. She does not have a business account. She bought the card and plan at Best Buy. I think the card was 100 bucks? not sure, but the plan is 60 bucks a month......
also I think there is a limit on the amount of data you can send / receive. No streaming movies, etc.

semi

Whoooosh!
Donating Member
Registered
also, you might ask what kind of chip he has in his laptop...mine has a Centrino chip in it and i can access the internet through any networks that aren't protected...a lot of hotels, truck stops, coffee shops, nice neighborhoods (hehe) have unprotected wireless modems you can tap into...just make sure you have enough protection (firewalls, passwords to sensitive info, virus protection, etc.) before you do that...good luck

SAMBUSA

TATTOO'D WHITE TRASH
Donating Member
Registered
(semi @ Dec. 07 2006,11:31) also, you might ask what kind of chip he has in his laptop...mine has a Centrino chip in it and i can access the internet through any networks that aren't protected...a lot of hotels, truck stops, coffee shops, nice neighborhoods (hehe) have unprotected wireless modems you can tap into...just make sure you have enough protection (firewalls, passwords to sensitive info, virus protection, etc.) before you do that...good luck
Brother does that in NYC

ks-waterbug

Group Buy Guy
Donating Member
Registered
Good advice... Keep em coming! I'm passing this info along over the next day or so.

BusaCruise

speachless
Donating Member
Registered
the verizon edge card is so/so on it's abilities (at this time) ....best bang for the buck (of the ones available)...if you want to avoid having to find a 'hot spot" is the Sprint EVDO card they offer. Merlin is the series and they have a couple of different models in the series.

I can check emails /IM/streaming music/ get videos and even use Skype all from the highway (not all at the same time of course
wink.gif
)

As with any of the services....your coverage and signal strength will determine your throughput.

beerchug.gif

Latest Bikes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2scars