targa half tank cover pros cons

I'm not a fan of the half bra's. They make a full vinyl cover or you could buy a carbon fiber tank protector. Not the thin little strip 1's but the protectors that cover that whole area where a belt buckle or zipper may hit. I got a full black faux leather tank cover off ebay for like $50. It has hayabusa scribed on the sides and gets the job done. It had saved my tank a few times from dropped tools, bolts, etc

You want pros/cons? Here you go..

I have one (Suzuki brand) I put it on for long tours, otherwise it stays off.

Pros:
Less tank scratches
Less bug marks on tank

Cons:
Kind of annoying to put on, and the elastic band can mess with the tank insulation if installed wrong
Can't leave them on in the rain if you don't want your paint to "fog"
Not the best looking in the world.

I used to have a tank bra on my 954 and I can tell you if you are in a dusty environment your tank will get scratched. Dust gets under the edge on the bra and destroys the paint.

On the Busa I have a stick-on tank pad on and it keeps belt buckles and zippers from scratching. So far where my legs touch the tank there are far fewer scratches than what a tank bra would have done.

Sounds like many factors to consider. I ran a half bra on my '06, never had an issue. Pain in the arse to remove and reinstall before and after every bath. I've ran the '08 for the past 45K miles with nothing. I know shame on me.

I will be removing mine in a few weeks for shipping. During that time, I will take some pics and let you all know.

tank pad for me. it works and blends in well (hardly notice it)

my experience was water got trapped on the line of the cover which created permanent water spots and such. plus, i like the looks of my bike and those things robbed me of that. so, i use a 3M clear kit from "the tank slapper" link above that covers most of the tank to avoid any scratches and barely noticeable.

:)

7499393420_43973d7f40_c.jpg

7499379770_9402a09623_c.jpg

I had a half tank cover for years. Never had a problem with dust under it or water in it.
I have a bagster cover. Never had a problem.

Basically, I think they both work well. Go for what you'll enjoy looking at... You know that feeling? You park your bike, you're walking away, you stop, you look back and sigh...? I do that a lot.

IMAG1053_zps96e06281.jpg

s6_zpse4170c9c.jpg

I have the half cover. Never removed the cover to notice any issues. When I do, a bagster cover will probably take its place.

Back