Tapping into the parking lights for power?

jphilipson

Registered
Hey Guys - I am in the process of adding some driving lights to the Gen2, and was planning on tapping into the position/running lights - or whatever they are called on the side of the headlight - for power. Anyone know if it's safe to pull an additional 5-6 Amps of that circuit? It looks like Boost by Smith's Aux harness uses that location for power, so I assume it's safe - just double checking.

Will be adding these bad boys to the Busa when they arrive.

Quad CREE XML T6 3000Lm 12V 30Watt LED Auxiliary Light, 24x7 Diy

3000 Lumens of LED kighting from Quad CREE XML T6 LEDs at 12V 30Watt

So 6000 Lumens combined - not only will the deer be seen, they will be fully cooked and ready for eating when I get to them :laugh:

Lights will be mounted off the mirror stalks, running of the remote control dimmer below.

Waterproof Wireless LED Dimmer with High Beam Bypass

Will run at 30-40% with my low beams on to save the eyes of those around me, then full power via trigger of High Beam power wire. So high beams come on, and the LED's pump out their full 6000lm - then dim again when the high beam turns off.

Hey Guys - I am in the process of adding some driving lights to the Gen2, and was planning on tapping into the position/running lights - or whatever they are called on the side of the headlight - for power. Anyone know if it's safe to pull an additional 5-6 Amps of that circuit? It looks like Boost by Smith's Aux harness uses that location for power, so I assume it's safe - just double checking.

Will be adding these bad boys to the Busa when they arrive.

Quad CREE XML T6 3000Lm 12V 30Watt LED Auxiliary Light, 24x7 Diy

3000 Lumens of LED kighting from Quad CREE XML T6 LEDs at 12V 30Watt

So 6000 Lumens combined - not only will the deer be seen, they will be fully cooked and ready for eating when I get to them :laugh:

Lights will be mounted off the mirror stalks, running of the remote control dimmer below.

Waterproof Wireless LED Dimmer with High Beam Bypass

Will run at 30-40% with my low beams on to save the eyes of those around me, then full power via trigger of High Beam power wire. So high beams come on, and the LED's pump out their full 6000lm - then dim again when the high beam turns off.

Hmmm... Might be a little too much power to run over the stock wiring with the headlights but I could be wrong. Might work fine.

I think that's fine. I was running a GPS & Radar on that same harness and that's 3+ amps. Boost by Smith can tell you the safe limit on the current coming from the running lights. BTW that's a good product. Sounds like a cool setup - pictures and install step by step required!

I think you would be ok, but use the plug that is up there for your source.

That's exactly where i have my clearwater driving lights tapped into for auxillary power. Haven't had a single problem yet, even though your lights seem much more powerful than the clearwaters

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

If you worried about drawing extra power, just use a basic 12v relay and use accessory wire to trigger the relay and pull main power directly through battery.

Back