Tank Splapper at 110

(dmrowe @ Apr. 16 2007,11:39)
(300Busa @ Apr. 15 2007,21:34) been there before @ 130'ish.  I got lucky and didn't go down, but it sure scared the crap out of me.  I am glad you are ok!
Glad you came out OK, never experience a speed wobble but that has to be scary as s**t.  Riding an out of control scooter has got to everyone's worst nightmare.  But I have a question, what kind of stablizer were you using?
I had the same experience at 130. I saved it, but it scared me to death. It was on the VA fall ride. I was decelerating, and it started to Tank Slap... The rear tried coming around at one point too... I'll tell ya, nothing will make you suck that seat up your butt quicker than going sideways at 130!
crazy.gif

I added 80w gear oil to mine. The bike feels much more firm at speed. A little stiffer steering at slow speed. I had the gear oil at the house and the nose off anyway. Cheap mod.

Don

(USN05LE @ Apr. 16 2007,08:45) I added 80w gear oil to mine.  The bike feels much more firm at speed.  A little stiffer steering at slow speed.  I had the gear oil at the house and the nose off anyway.  Cheap mod.

Don
and the step by step instructions are where?
wink.gif

my track bike has no stablizer at this point. It was a combination of things that caused it. It happened after a 85mph right hander i was onto the straight and shifted up. It was windy as hell that day so i was leaned to go straight, hit a bump in the track while shifting and when front landed it was a wobble from hell. I was so close to saving it, and it pisses me off more because it was on my second warmup lap of that session. I was not evan pushing it yet.

glad your ok bro-lesson learned, glad you had good gear.
hope the bike isnt a write-off, and when you put together the next track machine-make sure you add a damper, aight? j/k

rest up n start part-shoppin....thats what I been doin for 9 months!
all_coholic.gif

thats the thing i just bought the bike and was just taking it out for a joy ride track day. new rear sets and dampner were in my future on parts to get. now i have some fiberglass repair to do.
beerchug.gif

Tank slapper/high-sides are caused by a sudden loss of traction on the rear tire.....followed by a short interval of regained traction then, loss of traction and.....you get the idea. The oscillation can amplify & if allowed to continue escalating alternations will....well...prepare for launch.
There are several methods of controlling the condition but essentially all require that you do not panic and in fact Pridmore suggests you do nothing and allow the bike to stabilize on its own.

(ToyKraz @ Apr. 16 2007,09:15)
(USN05LE @ Apr. 16 2007,08:45) I added 80w gear oil to mine.  The bike feels much more firm at speed.  A little stiffer steering at slow speed.  I had the gear oil at the house and the nose off anyway.  Cheap mod.

Don
and the step by step instructions are where?  
wink.gif
I'm not trying to be a pr!ck, but they are on here - just use the search button...

I'd do it for you, but I'm at work right now and it would interrupt my nap....

(Somebody1010 @ Apr. 16 2007,21:55) thats the thing i just bought the bike and was just taking it out for a joy ride track day. new rear sets and dampner were in my future on parts to get. now i have some fiberglass repair to do.  
beerchug.gif
A stablizer is on my 'next' list, there are some good ones out there but I am looking at GPR which is made here in San Diego.  Gives you the option of dialing your degree of stiffness.

http://www.gprstabilizer.com/newsdes....sk_id=4

MSRP is $475 but I priced them out and Motomummy @ $353.

GPR.png

Glad you were wearing your gear and that you are okay . Bummer about your bike though.

Back