Tank Splapper at 110

Somebody1010

Donating Member
Registered
Had a tank slapper at 110 this weekend at the track. Good news is that it was on my trackbike. The bike is not in bad shape few holes in fairings from ground, bent gas tank, bent handle bars, busted levers, broken rearset, tweaked the sub frame, broken windscreen. I was wondering how long i was going to slide, it felt like forever. I am really suprised how well my leathers held up. there are no holes and none of the seams busted except where it wore down the string and i could pull it apart. I will get some pics soon. All i can say is WEAR YOUR GEAR at all times. I could not imagine this happening in jeans and mesh gloves.

been there before @ 130'ish. I got lucky and didn't go down, but it sure scared the crap out of me. I am glad you are ok!

i rode it out for a good while it was starting to stabalize then the rear kicked out and sorta bucked me off. I did everything i could to was on the gas to get the front up a little but it did not work out for me.

beerchug.gif
Yup glad you are ok

went out for a ride today ass windy with 3 others 10 miles from my house allmost ate the center divider
wow.gif
. and turnded around went home to dam close got about a foot or 2.

Never experienced a tank slapper, I've heard the term before and it really has me scratching my head. WTH makes it do that?

It would totally freak me out
crazy.gif
. Doesn't the stearing dampener virtually eliminate tank slappers?

glad to hear you came out ok
beerchug.gif
bikes can always be fixed or replaced

Glad to hear your OK,
I had this happen at 115-125 on my TL1KR and I thought it was over for sure, I didnt ride for the rest of that summer and on the way home didnt break 40 mph, Its a scary feeling for sure, I didnt go down, which is still a mystery to me
I laid into the rear brake hard, most say not to do that but it worked for me..... So I imagine if it happened again I would pull in my back hand brake again {gotta love the rear handbrakes, for some reason my hand is much faster than my foot}

(Justyntym @ Apr. 16 2007,04:12) Never experienced a tank slapper, I've heard the term before and it really has me scratching my head. WTH makes it do that?

crazy.gif
Its like, the rear wheel turns faster than the front wheel did at the moment, in other words called speed wobbles...it usually happens when you get on the HWY from access road and punch too quick and trying to reach over 100...at one time...like most squids will do  
rock.gif

Ever since it did happeded to me one time(I didn't fall luckly...) this is how I do...up to 70~80 give a second or 2 and move up to 100 and stay there for a sec or 2 and then whatever...
AAAssjani.gif

PS: the dampers are for that but, its not for sudden speed...unless you replaced with 90 weigh or adjusted it to full stiff some how...

So what your saying is it happens during accelaration. And if I'm just cruising down the interstate, I don't have to worry about it?

Great to here no injuries!
Been there before,29 yrs ago,went down at 80mph.No gear but a helmit.Took a chunk out of the helmit,saved my life.But the road rash was 3rd degree.Covered my thighs,knees,butt,ankles,arms and a chunk of skin off the left palm of my hand.I learned a hard lesson that day.Six days in the hospital.Sat in a whirlpool everyday to soak the bandages off.And I was only 14.
If I would have had gear on,it would have been no big deal.After I flopped around like a rag doll,I got up,walked over to the bike,picked it up hopped on and fired it up.A lady came running up the road screaming for me to get off the bike and she would take me home.BOY was my mom surprized when I walked in the door looking like a piece of hamburger.
My wobble was caused by a new front tire just installed.It wasn't balanced, nor was the rim trued up[spoked].Cause the old tire was slick and I never had a problem.
I was just a kid,didn't know any better.[neither did my dad]
LESSON LEARNED.

i've been thinking of getting an additional stabilizer, one of those gpr ones...

good to hear you're ok, and thanks for posting.

(Justyntym @ Apr. 16 2007,07:12) Never experienced a tank slapper, I've heard the term before and it really has me scratching my head. WTH makes it do that?

crazy.gif
He wasn't on the Busa. I'm not going to say it won't happen, but I've done some shid and the Busa has always straightened out for me quickly.
wink.gif

Hope you're alright dude. Sounds like your gear worked for ya. Good Luck on the repair.
super.gif

(300Busa @ Apr. 15 2007,21:34) been there before @ 130'ish.  I got lucky and didn't go down, but it sure scared the crap out of me.  I am glad you are ok!
Glad you came out OK, never experience a speed wobble but that has to be scary as s**t. Riding an out of control scooter has got to everyone's worst nightmare. But I have a question, what kind of stablizer were you using?

Back