Tank slappers

Dulimon

Registered
Are there any devices that would stop/limit a tank slapper. Ex-steering dampers w/special valves, very thick oil in them etc. Any ideas or known devices?

get better damper or somewhere there is a post on changing the oil to improve it but not sure where link is do a search on board should find it
cool.gif

actually if your suspension is set up properly u shouldnt have a tank slapper and dont need a steering dampner...

Heh, if you have much tank slappin going on with the Busa your doing something really wrong, or something is wrong with your bike. If you get a BIG Slapper though like when you fudge up landing the front end... There isn't much out there that can help you. Otherwise day to day, yeah, what the others said, Increase oil weight in Damper or buy a premium aftermarket damper like Scotts, or Ohlins and call it good. But really I have only been longing for a stronger damper once, and yeah... it's when I got it all wrong...

Relaxing and lettnig the bike work is probably one of the best ways to settle your chassis though, and Getting into the throttle hard... Both will ease a burly slapper...

Relaxing and lettnig the bike work is probably one of the best ways to settle your chassis though, and Getting into the throttle hard...  Both will ease a burly slapper...
Makes sense...The front wheel/tire is causing the problem, so the best cure is to get it back off of the ground.
laugh.gif

I've only had one on the Busa, and it was relatively minor. During a full throttle run getting on the interstate, I upset the bike during my shifting, and the wobble started around 130-140. Scared the living shid out of me, but it calmed down pretty quick. I slowed down and pulled the seat upholstery out of my azz then rode the rest of the way home thinking about how bad it could have been.

From what I see at the track, most tank slappers begin with the rear brake. Inexperienced riders are usually the receipents of this toss my ass into the air experience. To much throttle in the corners can produce the same results. I have watched a number of crashes which began with skidding or spinning the rear tire. When I went through Mike Sullivans race school, the very first thing he told us was to keep or foot away from the rear brake unless you are a professional rider and know what you are doing. He said the rear brake is the cause of most tank slappers and crashes for new riders. I actually crashed a busa once by playing with the rear brake setting up for a corner. I got the mother of all tank slappers that was so violent it snatched the handlebars out of my hands, the bars were going from stop to stop so fast and violent that I couldn't count them and it actually launched me airborne like a bucking bronc. I ended up with bruises in places I didn't know I had and a totally lunched busa. I have since left the rear brake alone. Most all of the track guys and all of the racers use aftermarket steering stabilizers. The Scotts Damper seems to be the most popular. I myself us a Scotts Damper. I have found it to be much better than the stock one. It usually takes care of a slapper before it has time to get momentum. It's really benificial to those of you who like to loft the front tire in the air. Once in a while you'll bring her down a little off center and a good aftermarket damper will usually keep you out of trouble. Some guys put heavy oil in the stock damper and that will improve the results but makes it hard to steer. If you have a buddy with a scotts damper, or any other aftermarket damper for that matter, try his bike out and see what you think?

Thank all of you for your replies...My two worst fears while riding are dumping it with my significant other...Is a tank slapper. Never had one, never want one to start. Since the 05 wasn't updated and winter coming, time to make my own updates. THNX BTW-Everyone doing Va fall pre-ride enjoy and be careful wish I didn't have to work Saturday. My girlfriend and me are bummed.
down.gif

No worries man, For the Most part the Busa is pretty un-Slapable...
biggrin.gif

Back