Tank covers

busaniks

Registered
Hi,
I am new to this group... even new at posting messages too.
Just like to know the reason people would have those protective covers at their fuel tanks and is it a off-shelf item.

I just bought this great Hayabusa (also thanks to the influence Hayabusa.org posting) about one month ago and loving it. However, when I go riding the stuff from my jacket rubs against the tank and leaves marks. Although it could be remove by scrubbing it with soap, I wonder if the protective covers would help.
:please:

Hi and Welcome to the Org!! :welcome:

You can buy tank protectors at any motorcycle shop or on E-Bay. They are great protecting your tank from scratches!

Do you have any pics of your bike that you can post?

Hi,
I am residing on the otherside of the world from US. I really envy you guiys in the US as stuff are easy to get. Living in Penang, Malaysia such accesories is difficult to get. I am planning a trip down to Singapore next coupls of week as they say I could get Hayabusa stuff there.

How much does the tank cover cost?

Pic: Me dring the Busa for the first time from the shop to my hometown (some 300 miles)

002 Ambil Busa Oct 30th 2009 (3).JPG

Exhaust modification
005 exhaust (11a).jpg
Removing the tail
Busa lagi 002.jpg

002 Ambil Busa Oct 30th 2009 (3).JPG

005 exhaust (11a).jpg

Busa lagi 002.jpg

I like tank pads rather than the wrap around tank protectos. They seem to protect the tank from zippers on gear and so on, but i cant imagine they arent scratching the tank themselves, not to mention that the rest of the tank will slowly fade and whats under the pad wont. I've seen alot of cars that used to have Bra's on them and when they are takin off you can see the damage. Just my .02

As for buyin one, internet! My local shops dont have much in the way of Busa gear, check out our sponsors, im sure they can work with you on any purchase you make:thumbsup:

Thanks for the info.
I actually have the tanks pads on and it does a good job protecting but a couple of stripes from my jacket is beyond those tank pads and when it rubs... it really leaves ugly marks on it.
So seems I either get a new jacket or get the tank bra.

:welcome: to the oRg. Tank bras are great at protecting the tank from the rider and look pretty good too. Never had any issues with the one I used on my Gen I for nearly two years. Need to get one for the Gen II.

I just use a clear plastic protector on the back of the tank, protects it from the jacket zippers and power wire running to my tank bag.

I am staying in Singapore.Let me know i can bring you around on what items you can get cheap and where to get them.The best way i see is a full leather tank bra protects your whole tank.Bagster does make good ones.:welcome:

My tank cover was thrown in with the bike. You just need to be sure to remove it from time to time and get rid of the dust that builds up under there. Also it comes unseated to. Only take a minute when washing the bike to put it right.

Hi,

However, when I go riding the stuff from my jacket rubs against the tank and leaves marks.
:please:

You actually just answered your own question...jackets have snaps, zippers, etc, etc, that can damage your tank if you are not careful~!~

A lot of riders will put their arm across the tank on a long ride...this can also rub spots into your tank from snaps, etc~!~

And :welcome: to the org

Ebay... $5

Make sure you clean the tank first before you apply it, and do it in warm, dry weather. :thumbsup:

Nice bike, do they have problems with fake / forged license plates over there?
Seems really easy to replicate.

I leaning on getting a tank cover when I am in Singapore later part of next week... base on comments I am reading. Thanks guys.

On the license plate, it is definately easily forged but the registration for the bike is a seperate crd which you have to carry along in your wallet.... unlike in the US where the stickers at the plate serves the purpose.

Tank bra provides excellent protection against jacket zipper - much better than a tank pad.

The rubbing of the bra on the tank is a legitimate issue, but not nearly so much as a bra on the front of a car, which gets a lot of dirt under it and doesn't get cleaned the way most people take care of a nice bike.

One surprise for my genuine Suzuki tank bra is how much grip it gives my legs on the side of the tank. Makes riding easier, at least for me.

Back