Tandem skydive gone wrong

skydivr

Jumps from perfectly good Airplanes
Donating Member
This is why you should NEVER try to force a refusal:

[video=youtube_share;tZF9GwgCVfY]http://youtu.be/tZF9GwgCVfY[/video]

There are so many things wrong here:

1. Never ever FORCE a refusal. By the time they exited, the passenger had forgotten all the training about arching and was focusing on going fetal. I know what the instructor did it (because she was holding up the entire load and they'd have to have done a go-around and a bunch of shifting to keep her in the aircraft) - but sometimes not going is the right thing to do.

2. Make sure the harness is properly tightened. This one was too loose and it was obvious to me inside the plane. There were some issues like this and the manufacturers altered the harness design to keep this from happening.

3. You have to be able to spot this before you get to the door. I'd never have let an 80 year old woman go first - if she balks, the whole load is shot. If she sees someone else go first, you'll know before she gets to the door that its gonna be a refusal and better to deal w/it way inside the airplane.

I have to give credit to the instructor though. Upon exit, this had the ability to get even worse quickly. That spinning is what's called the Tandem Death Spiral - If they get to spinning too fast, the centrifical force can knock them both out (he's got an automatic opener, but in that configuration it might still not save them). He did the right thing - he pulled the drogue which gave them an anchor in the air and gave him SOME stability to be able to work with. In fact, their instruction tells them to pull the main right away, but this instructor had the presence of mind to hold of to see if he could get his passenger back into the harness before he did it, fearing she'd just let go and fall out. If you look, she's got both arms wrapped around the chest harness, and she wasn't going anywhere (unless she let go of course).

The video guy tried to help get her back into the harness in freefall, but by this time she wasn't budging. Finally, the instructor did what he had to do to save his own life, and that was deploy whether she fell out or not - luckily she didn't. You could see it scared the crap out of him also.

This is why you can't ever take ANYTHING for granted when you jump.

Ok, to heck with that. They are very lucky she didnt fall out of that harness. Wow.

The "instructor" needs his ass kicked!!!!!

From my dunce stool :cookoo:

your putting your life in the hands of someone else and so the last thing you do is fight them... i want to go skydiving so bad but im probably a bit too heavy

Nothing to see but an idiot instructor forcing an old lady out of a plane against her will. Even to the point of holding her wrists so she couldn't resist. He deserves any bad karma that comes his way!!

From my dunce stool :cookoo:

You calling her a toaster? :laugh:

Vid probably went private pending a lawyer battle

skydive gone wrong.jpg

skydive gone wrong.jpg

found it...man that guy does need and Ares kicking.. WTF. If that was my grandma I would have shot the instructor and been in jail.

Last edited by a moderator:
Somebody changed it to private - frankly I think it was probably the better thing that they did. It does make an unnecessary black mark on the sport. While the instructor may need a strong azz chewing about forcing the exit, he STILL, while in FF, probably saved her life by not dumping her in the first place. I suspect he's learned his lesson, and the sharing of this will remind other instructors of the potential consequences. It's standard practice to pull someone's arms in at the exit to prevent them at the last second from grabbing something - that could be fatal for both instructor and passenger. But IMHO in this instance it was pretty obvious that she clearly did not want to go and changed her mind. It's hard to gauge if people really want to go or not - remember how positive she was on the ground video intro....

Remember, when you skydive, you sign a waiver that says "I understand this is a life-threatening sport, and I, my heirs and assigns waive all rights to sue for ANY reason, intentional or accidental..." etc. etc. There may be a lawsuit or a legal battle, but she'll lose in the end.

I once watched a girl balk 3 times. Three times they took her up, she was adamant that she'd do it, but balked before they ever unhooked her seat belt. Wasted 6 seats on the aircraft (3 seats by 3X) so she was not entitled to a refund. But she was in the front of the plane for last out. Watching her face it was pretty obvious.

Oh...the toaster is fine, but it's got this harness tied around it right now...stand by for more exciting news soon!

Somebody changed it to private - frankly I think it was probably the better thing that they did. It does make an unnecessary black mark on the sport. While the instructor may need a strong azz chewing about forcing the exit, he STILL, while in FF, probably saved her life by not dumping her in the first place. I suspect he's learned his lesson, and the sharing of this will remind other instructors of the potential consequences.

Remember, when you skydive, you sign a waiver that says "I understand this is a life-threatening sport, and I, my heirs and assigns waive all rights to sue for ANY reason, intentional or accidental..." etc. etc. There may be a lawsuit or a legal battle, but she'll lose in the end.

Oh...the toaster is fine, but it's got this harness tied around it right now...stand by for more exciting news soon!

I cant wait to see the toaster video :thumbsup:

Wow, I didn't have sound on and I can very clearly see her trying to NOT go out that door (go Grandma! THAT'S exactly what I'd do LOL). It's quite disturbing to see that guy man-handle her and force her hands down and out of the plane... :banghead:

Back