Taller rear tire

wreckwriter

Donating Member
Registered
Just noticed today that my rear tire is a 55 instead of a 50. Front is a 50. Seems this would adversely affect handling. True?

Seat change

25C75FA7-BA84-4927-AD48-688C0DB291E6.jpeg

Just noticed today that my rear tire is a 55 instead of a 50. Front is a 50. Seems this would adversely affect handling. True?
Remember, the profile is a % of the width, so 55 doesn't mean it's higher, 55% of what? 190, 200, 180? I went with a 200/55, raises the rear a little bit and makes the bike feel like it's a bit lighter when initially counter steering into a turn. You can offset this with a sag adjustment on the rear shock and add 5mm of sag, in either case neither of these changes should feel like a big difference.

Remember, the profile is a % of the width, so 55 doesn't mean it's higher, 55% of what? 190, 200, 180? I went with a 200/55, raises the rear a little bit and makes the bike feel like it's a bit lighter when initially counter steering into a turn. You can offset this with a sag adjustment on the rear shock and add 5mm of sag, in either case neither of these changes should feel like a big difference.
190/55

it adversely affects my reaching the ground!
How bad is it?

It should be ok as long as you can get one foot down comfortably when stopped. I can't flat foot the bike so when i need to back it up, I get off the bike and push it. It was embarrassing at first but after a while i stopped caring. I had thought about lowering the bike but didn't want to lose the handling.

If I had a difficult time around town with the height, any minor performance updates would be meaningless to me. I would not hesitate to downsize the tire and have the spring shortened. (I know people love dog bones which are cheaper and easier.)

Having some stability on both feet for this heavy bike is important. One may hit a stop sign where the road is oily. If one is on their tippy toes, in a millisecond they may go down.

One should consider these risks and build in a bit of extra protection.

Rossi could take a busa that is lowered 2" and whip me to last year. My thinking is that I could use a whole lot of practice before I should be concerned about small bike setup compromises.

The Hayabusa has one of the lowest seat heights of any sport bike that I've found... I have a 190/55 and a 1" jack-up kit on my 2005 and I still have lots of knee bend with both feet flat.

And before you assume that I'm a sky-scraping monster like some guys around here, I'm a little guy at just over 6' in height. :laugh:

Yep, I'm 5'10" with a 32"-33" inseam, and
I flatfoot the Busa with slightly bent knees.
Very similiar to the gsxr1k, only the Busa's bars are further away.

How bad is it?

It should be ok as long as you can get one foot down comfortably when stopped. I can't flat foot the bike so when i need to back it up, I get off the bike and push it. It was embarrassing at first but after a while i stopped caring. I had thought about lowering the bike but didn't want to lose the handling.
It's not terrible, only a problem trying to back it up. On my toes doing that. I can flat foot normally.

I too run a 55. Best thing i ever did. Totally changed the handling. I know you are struggling with reaching the ground and feeling secure. Have you lowered your machine? This may help you.
No, I actually brought it back to stock height from lowered. Only a problem when I try to push backwards. Mostly just a matter of getting used to it I think.

Back