Talking Batteries..I must say..

over200

Registered
I recently went to a lithium battery to see if there was a real difference on start up for me and wow!! Keeping in mind the amount of electronics on the bike, there is a substantial difference not only in the turn over power but it literally shaved 5 lbs off the bike! It felt like I was holding a hollow piece of plastic in my hands..Crazy!! My expectations were nothing more than a laugh in anticipation of the outcome. Well I'm Sold!!:bowdown: and the really cool thing is you don't need a specific lithium charger for it! Your battery tender is fine for it if needed.

EarthX
Lithium Battery

I have a shorai battery for mine and Im not impressed. I have it fully charged and when i try to start the bike it barely turns over. I have to turn it on and off several times before it will turn over enough to start from cold. Unless Im doing something wrong it aint worth it I dont think.

I think you're the first person with a negative comment. Could it be that you got the wrong battery or a bad one. I read somewhere in their literature that very cold temps have a negative affect on the startup power but that if you switched the bike on a let it sit for a few seconds, the drain of the headlight would bring the battery up and make starting better. :dunno:

Lithium batteries need a "warm-up" in cold weather. JCH364 that maybe what you are experiencing with your battery. As demonstrated in this video
EVO2 Battery & The Cold Starting of LiFePO4 Batteries - on Motorcycle-Superstore.com TV - YouTube[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a shorai battery for mine and Im not impressed. I have it fully charged and when i try to start the bike it barely turns over. I have to turn it on and off several times before it will turn over enough to start from cold. Unless Im doing something wrong it aint worth it I dont think.

Shorai batteries are junk from what I have heard multiple times from people that know what they are talking about! Full spectrum came highly recommended and was the route I was going down but I got hooked up with pricing on the earthx and so far I'm very impressed!

I have a full spectrum P3 for the Hayabusa and it cranks like a champ even after sitting for 3 months. Does not even compare in size, weight or power to a standard lead acid battery. Since I am selling my Hayabusa, I bought a new lead acid to put in there for the new owner and going to put the lithium one in my FJR (when it arrives).

LiFe batts have a very slow rate of discharge. I use them in my RC TX. A lot safer than running LiPo too. Last thing you want is your bike to catch fire and burn at 2000 degrees after a crash.

You know I have turned it on and let it be for up to 5 minutes before trying to start and still i have to hit the starter several times and turn it off and on and off etc before i can get enough juice to get the revolutions to start and i even bought the battery that has the 230+ cca because i have a 1397 kit. I agree that they,,, at least shorai.... despite their claim, does not like the cold. summer time is like any other battery. I bought it because of longevity. Never had a factory battery I ever got more than 2 years out of at best for some reason. Bad thing is that my other bike has a regular battery and bam cranks up like it was a sunny day. Kinda ticks me off especially with what it cost. Really shouldnt have to warm up a battery. bike yes battery not really... oh well got too much into it now to go back

Trickle charger or not...I have had bikes and jet skis for years and I just replace the battery every year or other year...for whatever reason they do not last....even getting a decent battery 3 years max...I would venture for the weight saving expensive ones but I am afraid that I'd be throwing money out the window.

You know I have turned it on and let it be for up to 5 minutes before trying to start and still i have to hit the starter several times and turn it off and on and off etc before i can get enough juice to get the revolutions to start and i even bought the battery that has the 230+ cca because i have a 1397 kit. I agree that they,,, at least shorai.... despite their claim, does not like the cold. summer time is like any other battery. I bought it because of longevity. Never had a factory battery I ever got more than 2 years out of at best for some reason. Bad thing is that my other bike has a regular battery and bam cranks up like it was a sunny day. Kinda ticks me off especially with what it cost. Really shouldnt have to warm up a battery. bike yes battery not really... oh well got too much into it now to go back

I appreciate your honesty because I plan on replacing the factory battery in my '08 before the Bash. This thread has been helpful. As far as warming up a battery, it's science and the manufacture was up front about cold weather cranking. I don't think I would have the issue, but will check out earthx bc of this thread.

over200, can you give me the exact battery you purchased .... manufacture / model number

I have the factory batt in my bike, I'm going on my 4th year and it works fantastic. Will go new chemistry when it's done. I don't use a tender but I ride it at least monthly in the winter here in Albuquerque

Trickle charger or not...I have had bikes and jet skis for years and I just replace the battery every year or other year...for whatever reason they do not last....even getting a decent battery 3 years max...I would venture for the weight saving expensive ones but I am afraid that I'd be throwing money out the window.

That depends on how stock or modified your bike is..I always replaced my battery every 6 months just for the power factor on start up! So far this battery has solved my problem of sounding like a WWII Bomber turning over! Now it sounds like a machine turning over. On another note shaving 5 lbs off your bike for that price....No Brainer. Compare that to the cost of having carbon fiber or titanium parts to reduce the same amount of weight. Just a thought!:beerchug:

From a friend in the Biz...but honestly I would still buy it @ the $219 which is still significantly less than the full spectrum. I don't need a fancy looking battery :laugh:

I just put a WPS lithium battery in my busa, turns over alot faster than the YTZ14s I had in it. Part# 490-2517 has 290cca, weights 2lbs, and cost me just under $140

I have been running the Shorai batt for 2 years now. I had a few problems at first, but now everything is good. the customer service is top notch. If you use the shorai charger, and you run it in storage mode, the battery will only have 80% charge and the bike will turn over slow in the cold. I have never had a problem. once the bike has been ran for a while and the battery is charged to 100%, it will crank fine in the cold. Do not fret about the battery turning slow. as the battery drains the voltage remains very steady compared to a Lead acid. The lead acid will slow as the battery charge drops due to voltage drop.

Lithium is the way to go. I got my battery from rocket moto.com for 160 shipped and the charger for 40. Great people there, and I love the receptionist gal's british accent. She sounds so hot...

Its been warmer around here the last 2 days so i got the bike out. It cranks a little better but my conclusion is that it does not like the cold on any level. I did have it fully charged by the way. Now once the bike is running and on the road it was fine but I am just not happy with the sluggish so called warm up. Makes me nervous about its ability to do the job. I just dont think i would do it all over again. I would go with a standard battery with higher cca or maybe do more research on other lithium types. I have done everything right with this battery, its just the nature of this manufacturer possibly. just my experience with it. Going to have to stick with it as long as it gets the job done cause i have too much money in it and i have other things i need so as long as it works ill keep it. im just not thrilled with it

Back