Talk about NERVE-WRECKING

RussellJ

Rick Rollin'
Registered
You wouldve thought I was going up in front of hundred of people to perform something but the spark plug threads came out very easily :thumbsup: I popped the extractor on my ratchet and put it down it. Guided it around til I felt a small drop so the revers threads were in the whole and it just started turning about immediately and came out really easy :thumbsup: Im glad what could have been a terrible situation turned out just fine :please:

The threads in the head are not stripped at all. Tightened down one of the other cylinders spark plugs in it to make sure of that. My new Denso Iridiums come in tomorrow or thursday so I will be riding by the weekend :cheerleader: I chose to go with Denso instead of NGK after this...

The Irvin hex head extractors are awesome!

DSC08304.jpg

Glad it worked out for ya Russ! That could have been a real bad if it had not. :thumbsup:

Thanks! :beerchug: I was thinking worse case scenario. I was sweating bullets when I was turning it... It just came out real easy. Then the final test was to tighten a good spark plug down in it... When it tightened down I felt so relieved....

Came out easily huh?
Guess you didn't put enough loc-tite on it :laugh:

Happy you got it out with no probs.

told ya dude- no sweat!:thumbsup:

have had to do this on many diff engines: a 350, a harley, a yamaha, tons of briggs and strattons... as long as you dont get in a rush it usually works out fine. glad you didn't have any trouble:thumbsup:

(not this exact problem always- but very similar)

I had denso plugs in my bike,now im running ngk ...but the old denso needed changed...so far so good with ngk...but denso plugs looked ok when i changed them out but had normal wear..

I had denso plugs in my bike,now im running ngk ...but the old denso needed changed...so far so good with ngk...but denso plugs looked ok when i changed them out but had normal wear..

Im not saying theres anything wrong with NGK or anything. Just because of this it makes me want to have something different. Just a mental thing...

Not sure I'm understanding this thread!

Came out easily huh?
Guess you didn't put enough loc-tite on it :laugh:
Blanca is definitely effing with you, Russell. :whistle: Only use LocTite Blue on the plugs, not the red.

Actually, I'm effing with you too! :rofl:

But seriously, never, ever, screw a spark plug into the hole using a wrench. Always start the plug by hand until you've turned it a two or three full turns. This way you will know if you have accidently cross-threaded it (very bad). If you do it with a wrench, you have too much force and you can accidently strip the threads.

Plug prep - Some people like to use a tiny dab of antisieze compound on the threads. Just be sure to not let any of this stuff get past the threads towards the electrode. The antiseize has metal particles in it which can short the electrode to ground. I usually use a drop of Marvel Mystery Oil or other light machine oil on the threads. A drop of Milk of Magnesia also works in a pinch.

Not sure I'm understanding this thread!

Blanca is definitely effing with you, Russell. :whistle: Only use LocTite Blue on the plugs, not the red.

Actually, I'm effing with you too! :rofl:

But seriously, never, ever, screw a spark plug into the hole using a wrench. Always start the plug by hand until you've turned it a two or three full turns. This way you will know if you have accidently cross-threaded it (very bad). If you do it with a wrench, you have too much force and you can accidently strip the threads.

Plug prep - Some people like to use a tiny dab of antisieze compound on the threads. Just be sure to not let any of this stuff get past the threads towards the electrode. The antiseize has metal particles in it which can short the electrode to ground. I usually use a drop of Marvel Mystery Oil or other light machine oil on the threads. A drop of Milk of Magnesia also works in a pinch.

How would I clean out the thread that have dried loctite in them? I can no longer put them in by hand with the gunk in there. Need to clean them out

How would I clean out the thread that have dried loctite in them? I can no longer put them in by hand with the gunk in there. Need to clean them out
NO LOC-TITE. Absolutely NO LOC-TITE.

There is a tool called a "thread chaser" made just for cleaning up spark plug holes. Let me find one for you....

This is what you want to clean out your threads. It's a $5 - $10 tool.

Same goes as before about starting to screw it in by hand.

41GAKZC0DkL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This is what you want to clean out your threads. It's a $5 - $10 tool.

Same goes as before about starting to screw it in by hand.

So no kind of material to put on the threads to clean it out?

Wonder if autozone carries them... Happen to know the metric size of the spark plug? :laugh:

So no kind of material to put on the threads to clean it out?

Wonder if autozone carries them... Happen to know the metric size of the spark plug? :laugh:

Bring a plug with you, they should also have or sell a thread guage, as well as have bike sparkplug listings in their computer.

Good job RussellJ :cheerleader: and use a threat restoration tool and not a tap. Lots of people get them mixed up. I think someone posted a pic of one up there.

Yeah, what Sixpack and Gpmo said. I think its a 10mm thread, but best to just match it up with a plug. Any good autoparts store will have the tool.

And it will not overcut your threads unless you cross thread it. Now don't be paranoid. You can always get a Chinese made head off of ebay if you eff it up!

+1.... 10MM on plugs size
Had to do a compression test last month and needed the adapter...:laugh:

Great job on getting that sucka outta there. :thumbsup:

no one said it yet so... what's up with the purple socket Russell? :rofl: just messin with you man, glad you got that sucker outta there fairly easy.

Good job man. It is tough when you are treading in new waters. Now you have done it...

Congrats on the easy fix! :easy:

Back