Taking the Bird in for the 600 mile service

Bobby B

Registered
Well, I hope this 280.00 dollar service is worth it! Includes any reflashe's oil change and yatta yata yatta!
Do you think they will void my warranty for any reason for after market levers?

You can do the work yourself and not void the warranty, just save the receipts. Really all they do is change the oil and filter and lube/adjust the chain then look the bike over.

I would guess the aftermarket levers would be ok--I hope. I don't have much faith in motorcycle warrantees anyway.

I agree with the others, you should learn to change oil and do a few other things yourself. You'll save a lot of money and you'll know it was done right. I don't have much faith in dealership servicing, either. Aside from getting tires changed and valve lash adjustment, you can do all the other scheduled maintenance yourself as long as you get some guidance from someone who is knowledgable.

if you already spent the 280, enjoy riding in safety. You have the whole rest of your ownership of the bike to learn your wrenching.

Aftermarket levers are only relevant to any claim that they may have been contributory too.

A first service is minimum cost to a dealer. It's not like they use much materials or their best tech guys!
I normally find that when I have a pen in my hand and we've finished haggling over the price, just before I sign saying "this will include a free first service?" Usually gets it for free.

I'm happy to do my own but get a mate in the trade to sign my book incase they want to argue over future warrantee issues.

Bought a 1200 Bandit new when they came out, within a short time it had a race pipe, 60-shot wet NOS system, heavy duty clutch, Renthal bars, etc etc. I was in the dealers one day and he reminded me my 1st service was free. His face was a picture when I took it back in!!

I have mine coming up next week, $230
$60 labour
$15 filter
$40 oil
$115 inspection report (bs) lol!

I'm going to call Suzuki and see if it's manadatory to have the "inspection" report for warranty as it doesn't say in the owners manual.

I have mine coming up next week, $230
$60 labour
$15 filter
$40 oil
$115 inspection report (bs) lol!

I'm going to call Suzuki and see if it's manadatory to have the "inspection" report for warranty as it doesn't say in the owners manual.

Doesn't the first service require a value lash inspect/adjustment?
I don't own a busa... yet... but have an older service manual.
I didn't see that in your list above.....
... it's gotta add 1 hr or so to the labor cost

Thanks

I make a my living fixing stuff . One way the right way . I started in a small engine shop as a teen / worked my way to the bikes/atvs . Pay/hours blew , and the things I saw techs do to peoples bikes/rides was shocking ! Long story short I fix fire alarms now for the last 20 years at much better pay . However I build
motors/carbs/repair old motorcycles one bike at a time in my spare time . Never one come back in 10 years , and my last 8 second race motor is on season TWO .
One in my avatar .

Think = YOU CAN DO IT ! Buy a shop manual , spend weeks reading it , tab areas of frequent service in the book . Start small , and work your way up .
My self , and another member from another OA type board provide tech support often via phone . I'm sure there are some guys like that here on the busa forums .

Beware of dealers / techs . If you do use one make sure to request the same tech , and throw him a tip on the side . It goes a long way

I make a my living fixing stuff . One way the right way . I started in a small engine shop as a teen / worked my way to the bikes/atvs . Pay/hours blew , and the things I saw techs do to peoples bikes/rides was shocking ! Long story short I fix fire alarms now for the last 20 years at much better pay . However I build
motors/carbs/repair old motorcycles one bike at a time in my spare time . Never one come back in 10 years , and my last 8 second race motor is on season TWO .
One in my avatar .

Think = YOU CAN DO IT ! Buy a shop manual , spend weeks reading it , tab areas of frequent service in the book . Start small , and work your way up .
My self , and another member from another OA type board provide tech support often via phone . I'm sure there are some guys like that here on the busa forums .

Beware of dealers / techs . If you do use one make sure to request the same tech , and throw him a tip on the side . It goes a long way

Thank you for that I do appreciate it. I have a decent set of tools and a huge garage, i'm just guilty of laziness and self esteem issues but I know I just gotta get of my butt!

Back