Taking off Stock Mufflers

Maybe a fraction-mostly just makes it sound like azz because it still has baffles in the midpipe, and the pipe is all intestinal-looking convoluted and restricts airflow quite a bit. When Search gets back up you can find several how-to's on modding stock pipes to flow and sound better...

I rode without the cans one day and I thought it sounded great!
lurk.gif

Thanks guys, I saw the How-To Shorty Modification (Pretty Cool btw). I am not in any rush to buy a full exhaust or anything now becasue I know I will boost in the future. I just wanted to know if would make it run like total ass. I know the baffles and **** in the remaining part of the piping will still restrict things.

i just replaced the stock cans with yosh CF ovals . With street silencers in place it runs like stock . (i wasn't expecting more) with the little bolt on silencers inserts out the motor had a stumble just right off idle .
So yes, it will affect performance .
I was hoping not to have to buy PC but looks like I'll have to if I want the full sound of these nice sounding canisters.

I ran my bike for a while with no cans. Love the sound, but don't like the look of the mounting flanges just hanging out in space. Does anyone know of a slip on that will sound like baffles only and still look good??

Reality check: (and my day to be in the barrel)

loud pipes do not save lives, but they do piss off the locals... if you are going to run with no pipes, you had best watch your back and your neighbors... they tend to get a bit testy and try to make laws against bikes in general... (look to Florida)

I do not like riding behind them myself, just to much noise, ask Brendan why he put his pipes back on (beside the fact they are nice)
smile.gif

I try not to piss anyone off on purpose. With mid-pipes only, you get a nice low rumble at idle. Yes you can ride it quietly even with no mufflers on. It is the immature people that crave attention that give everyone a bad rap. I ride with several of them. As soon as they pull up to a light, or see someone walking on the side of the street, the crack the throttle to 10k. They will even do this in their own neighborhood! Have some respect. These are just like the cagers that drive around a neighborhood at 1 AM with their stereo turned all the way up.

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i83.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid83.photobucket.com/albums/j293/yoyojeems/Videos/jaybusa.flv">

I found this guy in Texas that takes stock Mid-pipes, removes the baffles, cuts them, turns them, and rewelds them into a pair of really nice shorties that sound great. (loud,, but good loud) These are not just midpipes with the flange cut off. $150 with supplied mids. $200 if he supplies them. I sent him a pair I found on Ebay with my Buell footpegs and he built them so they worked with the pegs. I had the pipes back in less than a week. Really good guy to deal with. He's not running his Ebay ad at this time, but this is his email: JeParsons@cityofirving.org   His name is Jeff. (these pictures are from his Ebay ad)

View attachment 1276304

View attachment 1276305

+1 to Thrasherfox, i wasn't sure where to cut so he called me n walked me through it, I will never go back to a muffled system, i love the roar and attention i get. One girl that wanted to hear it actually got goosebumps, i saw em :p

+1 to Thrasherfox, i wasn't sure where to cut so he called me n walked me through it, I will never go back to a muffled system, i love the roar and attention i get. One girl that wanted to hear it actually got goosebumps, i saw em :p
Right on
thumb_up.gif
Nice way to represent the sportbike community....I bet everybody else loves them just as much as you do
winkold.gif

I run the baffle free stubbys. I like em and yes I do beleive it has affected my performance some. I have over 5k on these little stubbys. Sound clip on one of my other threads some where.

post_49_64317_104__800x600_.jpg

Cut the stock mid header and finish the end with about 25 bucks worths of pipes from autozone.
The end pipes have shorty mufflers in them to take the hard quack off when on idle. But when off idle it sounds like MotorGP. Sound like a proper bike.

exhaust.jpg

Back