Taking bets if this is fake...

bluetiger

Registered
Ok, so I'm selling my '04 Hayabusa and receive the following email from a potential buyer:

Hi ,
I am Cody from Chicago .I am a marine officer and I want to buy a bike
maybe your.Please tell me if the bike is stil aviable and if yes give
me your phone number to call you or if you dot have one how can I see
it,maybe more pictures.
I will look for your answer.
Cheers

CODY Webb
codywebb3551@yahoo.com

I'm doing this to see if anybody ran into this if it's a scam.  If it's a true buyer, then I would apologize to the buyer, but in the meantime, I wonder how many of you think this is fake.
I think this is a fake after reading it.  I'm skeptical because of the following:

"Marine officer" -->As in Semper Fi or as in Exxon Valdez?

"I am Cody from Chicago" --->  I would think that if you're from Chicago, you would type "I'm Cody..."

Spelling errors:
your :  instead of "yours"
stil : instead of "still"
aviable : instead of "available"
dot  : instead of "don't"

and finally:
"Cheers"  :  I do use this expression, but I would think somebody that uses this would have a good knowledge of the language, specially when it comes to spelling.

I've searched for potential scams and found one where the buyer would send you a Cashier's check for more than the asking price, then ask for a refund before the Cashier's Check cleared.  I think this is what's going to happen here.
If he sends me a cashier check, I'll post a pic of it.
I'm doing this in order to prevent others from getting scammed....unless this is a real buyer, then I just stuck my foot in my mouth....
sad.gif

Scam along with I am president abbu dada and my blah blah blah. Don't trust it!

the f*&ked up grammer and spelling errors should be dead giveaways.

I just checked Marine On Line and there is no Cody Webb listed as active, reserve or retired.

Marines do not spell Marine with a lower case M.

For being a Marine officer - his grammer sucks.

Let him know that you know several Marines and a few of them are officers - ask what he does and where he is stationed. I would play a game with him -especially since impersonating a military officer is a crime.

From a Marine Officer...

(MC MUSTANG @ Feb. 14 2007,01:49) I just checked Marine On Line and there is no Cody Webb listed as active, reserve or retired.

Marines do not spell Marine with a lower case M.

For being a Marine officer - his grammer sucks.

Let him know that you know several Marines and a few of them are officers - ask what he does and where he is stationed. I would play a game with him -especially since impersonating a military officer is a crime.

From a Marine Officer...
Ha.ha. MC. You might need to retrain this kid. I'm glad he isn't doing my admin. Yep, it's crap.

'Me likey your hyabuza. me have us dollarz.'

They are a persistent bunch. got to give them credit for effort.

Traditionally "Cheers" is considered "thank you, or thanks", it's a salutation of sorts used by English (British) and some Australians. Me thinks your Marine Corp Officer / Fraudulent individual may be from across-the-pond. Why waste your time ?.......BURN HIM !!!!
firedevil.gif

Semper Fi
super.gif

regardless if it is a scam or not. When I sold my car on ebay I specifically said the car will not be released until the check cleared. As long as you do that then you should be alright. I would send pics cause you never know.

Said but true, a real fake!  I have had more scams than I care to think about.  The bad english, wants you to send them back money, etc.  If it sounds too good to be true, it is.

I've even gone to the point of trying to play with them, asking for US Dollars in cash, doubling my price when I email them back.  Usually get "account not found for delivery" after the second time!!  Makes me feel better.
guns.gif

I have my Camper and Motorcycle up for sale, the latest was a actual phone call!!

The guy lives in Seattle, wants a bike for riding in California,  I live in Missouri.     He wants to do this in a hurry, wants me to ship the bike out this week to his address in CA and will send payment.  He kept stressing he wants the bike real bad and really needs it next week in CA for riding with some friends.  Really, they sell V-Stroms in Calif, too!!!

Keep your eyes open and don't feel bad about questioning, it is our bike and our money!!!

Roger

I had a ebay buyer from Austria that insisted on using my bank acc info to pay!
SHOCKED.gif
The old i over paid ya are you dumb enough to refund me B4 the draft clears? But what ya gona do! I have had some of the best folk ebay from over the pond! Most won't mind paying the extra for paypal!!
beerchug.gif

I agree with the rest , this is a more than likley a scam. But on another note , i tried to purchase a Busa from a board member here a couple of years ago and he thought i was trying to scam him. I agree there are alot of scammers out there , but some potential buyers arent. I own a business and couldnt take 3 days out of my schedule and leave my job sites unattended , so i lined up a shipper to pick it up. This threw up a red flag in his mind and he wrote me a nasty letter saying i was a scammer and commenced to calling me all these beautiful names. Some guys are worth looking into as a potential buyer , but absolutley beware of the scams , it seems the Hayabusa's attract them more then any.

"Seller Beware" You can't be too safe these days. But according to what MC said, I wouldn't take my chances.

CHEERS

Back