Take - Off Tires

McyMike

Donating Member
Registered
Didn't know where to post this...so I'll put it here...

Anyone have any experience on using takeoff "race" tires on the street. I bought a used set and my dealer and friend recommended against using them on the street because of all the extreme heat cycles these tires go thru...and loss of tire oils. Maybe he's just trying to keep me safe..but take-offs are sure affordable with pleanty of tread in the centers (that where I run - not a knee dragger). Opinions???

I know alot of local guys that run takeoffs on their street bikes.  They swear by them and get them for cheap!  I've never seen anyone have problems with them on any of our "spirited" rides.  Bear in mind that the race compounds require higher running temps for maximum grip... and you won't be able to keep them up to temp consistently on the street for normal riding.

I plan on getting a set of take offs for a long weekend trip in June.  I'll be about ready for brand new tires (PP 2Ct's) and I can't stand the thought of destroying the center of good tires for slabbing over 1,200 miles in a couple days.  And... I also can't see spending money on sport touring or other type tires for a few weekends of 1,200 + miles.  

Take-offs seem the logical choice to me for a situation like that. *shrug* Once I'm back in town I can go put on the brand new Pilot Power 2CT's.
super.gif

In re: " slabbing over 1,200 miles in a couple days."

Why do you think a set of race take offs would last 1,200 miles on the road? That's far longer than any race you know.

Its not miles that kills race tires... its the heat cycles. Most of the racers here destroy the sides of the tire, but there is still 80% tread in the center when they discard them.

1200 miles will be almost all straight up riding down the road.... And once I get back to town, I just put on my new tires and I'm back to normal. The guys here that run take offs easily get 1500 miles out of them.

Race take offs work very well on the street. I run them on my Busa and I also sell them. I can set of up with a very sticky set or a set that will last in upward of 3000 miles (depending on how you ride). That is correct. Just remember when you first install them,treat them as if they were new tires. Break them in for at least 50-100 miles. Here are the pics of my Take offs on my Busa.

Mvc-017s.jpg

Mvc-018s.jpg

Here are my Grooved Slicks. The 2 on the right are a Drag Race groove with minimal groove to give the max traction. The one furthest to the left is a street groove for alot of street riding with little track time. The one that is to the right of that one is more of a mixture of a street/Track groove that shouldnt get you in trouble if you get pulled over.

4Groovedslicks.jpg

So i guess all the marbling on the edges will come off with a little riding - or do you need to scrape it off?

(McyMike @ Apr. 16 2007,08:03) So i guess all the marbling on the edges will come off with a little riding - or do you need to scrape it off?
I will come off with street riding

Take-Offs are a great way to save money, but be warned--these tires are not designed for the street.

In normal street riding you will never get these tires warmed up. They are meant to be pushed hard, as in rode at the track or very aggressive canyon riding.

A little too much throttle in an intersection, and slippidy slippidy
wow.gif

But if you keep in mind that your tires are always cold and be cautious, you shouldn't have any problems
wink.gif
Again, they can save you a lot of money. Unless you lay it down in an intersection...

(Charlesbusa @ Apr. 17 2007,22:11) Take-Offs are a great way to save money, but be warned--these tires are not designed for the street.

In normal street riding you will never get these tires warmed up.  They are meant to be pushed hard, as in rode at the track or very aggressive canyon riding.

wow.gif

But if you keep in mind that your tires are always cold and be cautious, you shouldn't have any problems  
wink.gif
 Again, they can save you a lot of money.  Unless you lay it down in an intersection...
That is totally 100% incorrect. Race Take offs are Great on the street. They are designed to give more grip than normal O.E.M tires. All cold tires give less grip and need to be warmed up to optimal temps.

(Gixx1300R @ Apr. 20 2007,10:55)
(Charlesbusa @ Apr. 17 2007,22:11) Take-Offs are a great way to save money, but be warned--these tires are not designed for the street.

In normal street riding you will never get these tires warmed up.  They are meant to be pushed hard, as in rode at the track or very aggressive canyon riding.

wow.gif

wink.gif
 Again, they can save you a lot of money.  Unless you lay it down in an intersection...
That is totally 100% incorrect. Race Take offs are Great on the street. They are designed to give more grip than normal O.E.M tires. All cold tires give less grip and need to be warmed up to optimal temps.
Unless you're being aggressive in the corners on a twisty back/canyon road, you'll never get race tires to temp on the street. And its hard to keep them hot because they cool much faster than street tires.

(Gixx1300R @ Apr. 20 2007,10:55)

wow.gif

wink.gif
Race take offs are NOT GOOD on the street at legal speeds...they are RACE tires and are designed
to run at a higher temp on the track.

They take MUCH longer to heat up on the street and they cool off very quickly. Street tires have a
much quicker warm up time and are designed for the day after day heat cycles.

I do lots of track days...on my bikes right now I have a set Metzler Racetec's K1 and K2, Pirelli
SuperCorsa's SC2 and SC3, and a set of Diablo Corsa's.

By far the best of the three sets for the street are the Diablo Corsa's...the only reason the race tires
see any time on the street is that I can't see throwing away a $400 set of tires after 400-500 miles on the track.

Thanks - no take offs for me. Traction is already a problem, don't need to make it worse to save $100.00

(McyMike @ Apr. 27 2007,11:01) Thanks - no take offs for me.  Traction is already a problem, don't  need to make it worse to save $100.00
If you can get them hot enough AND KEEP them hot enough...they do stick very well.

Back