Take A Knee Or Hide In The Locker Room?

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
Okay so I have to ask what you guys think about a few of the weekends NFL Teams decisions to camp out in the locker room or in the tunnel during the National Anthem?

As this group is usually very articulate and able to get thoughts across like grown adults this should be a good conversation.

Okay Go!

Stand up, hats / helmets off, show some respect. I am all for free speech and one's right to protest etc, but there is a time and place. These millionaires have so many other platforms and times they could be doing something. I think it's a bad idea what they are doing. I have friends and family that serve and have served and I just feel it should be respected more. Plus, why bring politics etc into football. Just play the dang game and do that in your "off-time"

Most Americans are sick of this social justice warrior crap and this move isn’t likely to turn out how they think it will. Notice they take a knee or hide in the locker room as a form of protest (protest against what who knows, most are privledged, wealthy cry babies) instead of having some actual skin in the game by taking a knee once they get the ball on the field? I for one will enjoy watching the collapse of their profits and the league instead of their games. We are free to ignore reality, we are not however free to ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Keep pushing...

This just about sums it up for me:

22007864_1408874642560192_2285583935929437427_n.jpg

go to fb if you wanna whine and protest something that doesn't even exist but disrespect the American Flag for which many have and currently still do die for is pathetic!

I'm still not sure why anyone thinks Professional Football players are some sort of roll model for others to follow and take advice from being some of the dumbest athletes on the planet!!! thats the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard! half of them can't read or write properly and virtually NONE of them would have a high paying job if they were not talented athletes!

being talented and having parents that gave you genetics to play a sport hardly qualifies ANY of them to be some sort of role model that others shud emulate or take advice from! I honestly just LOL when I see these dudes who probably need their agents to read the contracts to them cause they can't read it them selves before they sign and THESE are the ppl others are now looking up to in protest? really? that truly makes me LOL literally!

IF these football players want to make a statement that will actually affect ppl's lives then why don't they protest the black on black MURDERS that take place every day in record numbers in the neighborhoods many of them grew up in? and even more importantly is the single motherhood rate in the black communities which absolutely tears their communities apart and starts the cycle all over again...... THESE are REAL issues in the Black community. its NOT the Police.

93% of blacks are killed by other blacks! where is the out cry from the BLACK athletes who are so concerned about other blacks being victimized? 258 blacks where killed by Police officers in 2016. 6,000 Blacks were killed by other blacks in 2016...... maybe they shud be kneeling in protest to THAT!

Yeah I think these players need to find a better platform for their cause. Go to your community, be it your hometown, your teams town, or pick a place they feel matters to them. Then go there and spend whatever of your own $$ and time you like to bring about change. If it weren't for that flag and this country, they'd not be making more millions than most of us would ever see. You are being paid these huge sums to play football, not take on social causes. Do the social causes on your time.

I'm sure I'll be called out as a racist now.

maybe some will Tom but thats reserved for those that cannot separate RACISM with REALITY!

Yeah I think these players need to find a better platform for their cause. Go to your community, be it your hometown, your teams town, or pick a place they feel matters to them. Then go there and spend whatever of your own $$ and time you like to bring about change. If it weren't for that flag and this country, they'd not be making more millions than most of us would ever see. You are being paid these huge sums to play football, not take on social causes. Do the social causes on your time.

I'm sure I'll be called out as a racist now.

Opposing points of view are important, that's how we improve ourselves and our nation. All those soldiers are fighting for that, and protesting is as American as anything. It's interesting though that people move the conversation to "these guys are disrespectful" ignoring the issues they are protesting (peacefully I might add), which many simply want to look the other way and pretend aren't happening. That's the real shame here.

On the other hand, if the NFL wants to punish players that do this I think they have a right to do it (within the law of course), just as fans have a right to not patronize the NFL if they object. The players who are protesting are using the NFL's brand to make their statement so I see both sides of that. It seems people forget that the right of free speech protects us from an oppressive government, not private citizens or businesses. It does not say "you have a right to free speech without consequences."

I recently saw where a little league football coach took a knee and had his team do it too. I draw the line here. I think kids should always be taught respect for flag and country. When they get old enough to understand the issues and how protesting the flag is not to be taken lightly, they can make their own decision on what to do. If it were my kid he would be off that team. Now if my kid said they truly believe they must protest this, and they are not doing it because the coach said to, I would support them as long as they understood and accepted the consequences.

A lot of these players do a lot for their community (and obviously a lot don't). In fact, what Kaepernick is doing is mostly for the black community (whether you agree it's the right thing or not it's certainly not helping his pockets). Besides, the history of Athletes making social statements is long. From protest statements by ancient Olympians and gladiators to Jesse Owens, Muhammad Ali, Jim Brown and many athletes from many other countries. Athletes have always used their notoriety to speak out on issues be it tennis shoes or social injustice, Kaepernick didn't invent this.

Opposing points of view are important, that's how we improve ourselves and our nation. All those soldiers are fighting for that, and protesting is as American as anything. It's interesting though that people move the conversation to "these guys are disrespectful" ignoring the issues they are protesting (peacefully I might add), which many simply want to look the other way and pretend aren't happening. That's the real shame here.

On the other hand, if the NFL wants to punish players that do this I think they have a right to do it (within the law of course), just as fans have a right to not patronize the NFL if they object. The players who are protesting are using the NFL's brand to make their statement so I see both sides of that. It seems people forget that the right of free speech protects us from an oppressive government, not private citizens or businesses. It does not say "you have a right to free speech without consequences."

I recently saw where a little league football coach took a knee and had his team do it too. I draw the line here. I think kids should always be taught respect for flag and country. When they get old enough to understand the issues and how protesting the flag is not to be taken lightly, they can make their own decision on what to do. If it were my kid he would be off that team. Now if my kid said they truly believe they must protest this, and they are not doing it because the coach said to, I would support them as long as they understood and accepted the consequences.

A lot of these players do a lot for their community (and obviously a lot don't). In fact, what Kaepernick is doing is mostly for the black community (whether you agree it's the right thing or not it's certainly not helping his pockets). Besides, the history of Athletes making social statements is long. From protest statements by ancient Olympians and gladiators to Jesse Owens, Muhammad Ali, Jim Brown and many athletes from many other countries. Athletes have always used their notoriety to speak out on issues be it tennis shoes or social injustice, Kaepernick didn't invent this.

It didn't start with Kapernick and it isn't limited to athletes. I grow tired of actors(tresses) in Hollywood deciding they need to use that forum for politics. It is no different to me. I simply will stop watching them in anything they act in. Its the only way the message can get sent is to NOT continue watching them. It may not seem like much but it works for me.

And yes a lot do a lot for their communities. I'm all for that. Look at it this way. If you were being paid to make widgets and you decided to protest something unrelated to widgets in the parking lot of your company, I'd expect that company and the rest of its employees to decide they didn't need you working there. He or she would be using private resources and large footprint to foster personal causes.

I just don't think its the right time or place. I support Kapernicks right to protest. Just not the chosen format. And if he is going to use his fame and fortune to push his agenda, I'll try to take away his fame and fortune just a tiny bit. Until more millions decide to do the same and he at some point becomes a liability to his team. He didn't have a contract for reasons that nobody will discuss before. Maybe that will begin to change.

I don't think being famous means they can't have and voice an opinion. If you don't want to watch them don't, I'm pretty sure they considered that when they made their statement and are prepared to accept it. I don't think Kaepernick is protesting something unrelated to him being a black person. The NFL pulls a big chunk of it's players from the very conditions he is protesting against. Still, the NFL has the right to not want to be a partner to his protest.

I also hope the Steelers support the ex-ranger who went out and stood for the flag when the team didn't. That was a very touching sight to see. The NFL can show that they are bigger than POTUS by supporting people having and expressing different opinions on complicated issues.

Everyone has a right to an opinion no matter the profession or economic status. Its how they try to shove it down peoples throats that make the difference. I know Hollywood is pretty liberal by and large. And they choose to express their frustrations more and more these days.

I just hope that they can take it as well as they dish it out because as we are seeing, Trump if nothing else, is forcing things that have been kept quiet for too long, to be discussed now. Like it or not. People that have been pushed into quiet corners are beginning to have a voice. I don't think that this will end in a week.

Willie, I don't think we are too far off but some things in my opinion are just off limits. The flag is sacred to me, many of my family have died in wars and conflicts for that flag. I see men and women that have served long and hard for many years and survived many wars but I can't recall a single one disrespecting the flag by stomping on it, burning it or dragging it behind something. The flag is more than just some hodge podge of cloth it symbolizes sacrifice, blood, Love for country, Love for each other and respect, duty (civic and military). When I see someone take a knee to our National Anthem it's sickening to me because they are unwilling and in all honesty just ignorant to the blood sweat and tears that others have given to offer them the freedom to complain. While there is no legal reason that a person can't take a knee or not sing the Anthem these players have taken a stance that they don't believe in or hold in high regard the flag or the National Anthem as high as a citizen should.

Just because you have the right to do something doesn't mean that you should! There is a greater good for country that could come out of this but instead they have taken something that has always been a rallying few minutes for all in a stadium to remember that we are all American's, we are all brothers and sisters and use those what should be cherished moments for their personal agenda's. The attention has come off of the Love of country and moved to the hate and discontent of a few. We are slowly being eroded away from the inside... Who need a nuke, we have pro athletes to take us all down..

cap

but instead they have taken something that has always been a rallying few minutes for all in a stadium to remember that we are all American's, we are all brothers and sisters and use those what should be cherished moments for their personal agenda's. The attention has come off of the Love of country and moved to the hate and discontent of a few. We are slowly being eroded away from the inside... Who need a nuke, we have pro athletes to take us all down..

cap

I think its just another attempt to keep pushing up the threshold of what gets tolerated before they are met with finally becomes boiled over hatred for them. Like what line can we cross a little, then a little more, to the point of empowerment where they think they can say or do anything they want and dare anyone to retaliate.

I honestly don't think they know what they are really doing, if they truly knew the history of our flag, if they really cared about our country they would trample all over it.

Willie, I don't think we are too far off but some things in my opinion are just off limits. The flag is sacred to me, many of my family have died in wars and conflicts for that flag. I see men and women that have served long and hard for many years and survived many wars but I can't recall a single one disrespecting the flag by stomping on it, burning it or dragging it behind something. The flag is more than just some hodge podge of cloth it symbolizes sacrifice, blood, Love for country, Love for each other and respect, duty (civic and military). When I see someone take a knee to our National Anthem it's sickening to me because they are unwilling and in all honesty just ignorant to the blood sweat and tears that others have given to offer them the freedom to complain. While there is no legal reason that a person can't take a knee or not sing the Anthem these players have taken a stance that they don't believe in or hold in high regard the flag or the National Anthem as high as a citizen should.

Just because you have the right to do something doesn't mean that you should! There is a greater good for country that could come out of this but instead they have taken something that has always been a rallying few minutes for all in a stadium to remember that we are all American's, we are all brothers and sisters and use those what should be cherished moments for their personal agenda's. The attention has come off of the Love of country and moved to the hate and discontent of a few. We are slowly being eroded away from the inside... Who need a nuke, we have pro athletes to take us all down..

cap

Captain I get where you are coming from. I grew up as an Air Force brat and I stopped my bike in the middle of the street and got off, took my hat off and put my hand over my heart every day when they played the national anthem on base. You were in for a serious paddling if my father found out otherwise. Frankly, I don't think I would personally voice my grievances in this manner. But my uncle lost both legs in Korea. Another Uncle won a silver star in Vietnam. My father spent many nights clutching his rifle and starring into the jungle from FOB's. Many minorities gave the same as their white brothers in arms for this country but when they came home things were not equal.

America is not the same for everyone and I, as a person who believes strongly in the idea this country represents, respect these differing views. These are very serious issues for minorities that historically get pushed into the shadows and "America" forgets about them. We shouldn't be asking "why are you not respecting the flag", we should be asking "what has driven you to this extreme position and what can we do about it."

In any event, ask yourself why the protest of a failing pro football player gets you more angry than a POTUS who disrespects this country in meaningful ways daily?

Arch your assumption is that I agree with the POTUS on every topic but I don't. In my opinion President Trump's was the best of two terrible choices, I made this claim back during the elections. If we can't agree on National Pride then what can we agree on? Do you really think that any of those players really care? Where a person spends his time and money is where his treasure is. If the NFL was so concerned with the situation I assure you they have the money and resources to make change.

I think the problem we have right now is perspective, all of those multi millionaires telling the rest of us about how rough it is. I saw something about Jerry Jones taking a knee tonight, what decade do you think was the last time he went without? We need people to stop making statements and start taking action to fix problems.

So what are you going to do Capt?

I am going to do the same thing I have always done Willie, I will teach my kids about hard work, respect, honor, dignity, values and morales. Now that my kids are starting lives of their own I will do the same with my grandkids but it doesn't stop there. I spend a week every year at camp with our church working with youth. I teach Sunday school for the senior boys in my church every week. I invest in other friends and families and we talk, we work through challenges together and learn what it's like to care for each other.

I stopped watching most sports years ago as I saw behaviours and politics coming into the athletes and organizations. I don't have time to do all the things I want to do that are positive and great in my life much less spend any time watching someone else tell me about how rough it is. I would prefer to get out there and do something about it so I read and study my bible for the lesson on Sunday. I try to make changes for those people that I have some influence over by example and not by just showing my solidarity with them in identifying that there is a problem. I get dirty and listen to kids talk about shool and things in their lives that are troubling them and then give them and even their parents sometimes some advice since I have been there with my kids too.

I think we have too many people standing (or kneeling in this case) for a cause. What we need is less people talking about change and more people making it... For me Willie it's every conversation I have every day all the time.

If I made millions of dollars to play a game, I would stand for the national anthem of any country I am in. These people are blessed with talent to again, play a game as a professional. Spoiled. They need to support our country, even if they dont agree with the president.

Back