TAIL LIGHTS WORKING BUT NOT MY BRAKE LIGHTS  HELP!

BAD BUSA 05

Registered
Hey guys, i have yet another problem i need some experienced advice on.my undertail is a hotbodies piece and my L.E.D.S quit working in it.well i emailed the company and they sent me some new replacements right out.well i don't know if i was having this problem before cause i had so many lights out, well i put the new lights in and hooked them up.o.k now my tail lights work fine and my turn signals work fine but my brake lights won't work when either the foot brake or hand brake are pressed,what could be going on here? i doulble checked the wiring and eveything is right.is there a plug up at the levers or is there something else i can check? please help me out here. thanks

BB, There are two switches for the brake light... one is under the right side peg bracket, the other is in the right side switch housing. If neither is turning on the light, check and ensure that the wires are all good to both the lights and the wiring in the tail... if you can, take a pic of the wiring with the tail off and post up so that we can have a look!

MCM

BB, There are two switches for the brake light... one is under the right side peg bracket, the other is in the right side switch housing.  If neither is turning on the light, check and ensure that the wires are all good to both the lights and the wiring in the tail... if you can, take a pic of the wiring with the tail off and post up so that we can have a look!

MCM
the wiring is fine.you have a plug from the harness on  the bike and then on the tail itself you have 2 black wires hooked together 2 blue wires hooked together and 2 reds hooked together and they are all plugged into the harness on the bike.turn signal even work just no brake lights

there has to be something thats supplies power to both at the same time cause neither of them won't work front or back.is there a fuse that might cause this or any kind of box just for this or what?all the wires from the undertail plug into the same plug on the harness why are they not working??

I am wondering if the brake lights are on but won't turn off, instead of the tail lights.... Does anything happen when you hit the brake lever? Lights dim or go out?

this is a long shot so don't flame me, but when i had a similar issue w/ the brake light it was because i over adjusted the foot lever. i know that black connector thingy can be rotated too much which was the cause of the brake light malfunction.

Disconnect the brake light wire to the undertail and see if the lights dim. If they do, one of your brake light switches is adjusted wrong or bad. If they don't use a test light at the connector to make sure you are getting power when the brakes are applied. If you are, then its a problem with the wiring on the undertail. I threw away the LEDs that came with my hotbodies undertail and did custom lighting.

Disconnect the brake light wire to the undertail and see if the lights dim.  If they do, one of your brake light switches is adjusted wrong or bad.  If they don't use a test light at the connector to make sure you are getting power when the brakes are applied.  If you are, then its a problem with the wiring on the undertail.  I threw away the LEDs that came with my hotbodies undertail and did custom lighting.

o.k B.W,i just done your check on the lights by unhooking the brake light wire and that seems to be it.the lights went dim when unhooked and when hooked back up they brightened back up again.the swiches you talk about,do you have a pic of them or can you help me locate mine somehow?? i hope maybe it's out of adjustment.awhile back i did adjust my foot lever but i still had brake lights then.i have just noticed that they don't work in the last 2 days.

The arrow is pointing to the rear brake switch. Turn it to make it more/less sensative. If I remember correctly, clockwise is less sensitive and counter clockwise is more sensitive. I never did adjust the hand brake switch. But if you changed the pedal height, its probably the rear brake switch out of adjustment.

100_4710.jpg

HEY GUYS I FIGURED IT OUT! THE FOOT BRAKE SWICH WAS OUT OF ADJUSTMENT.SO FOR THE ONES THAT BROUGHT THIS TO MY ATTENTION THANKS ALOT.I JUST TURNED IT DOWN A LITTLE AND THAT DID THE TRICK.BUT HOW DOES THAT SWITCH AFFECT BOTH FRONT AND BACK BRAKES?CAUSE IT MADE BOTH START WORKING

HEY GUYS I FIGURED IT OUT! THE FOOT BRAKE SWICH WAS OUT OF ADJUSTMENT.SO FOR THE ONES THAT BROUGHT THIS TO MY ATTENTION THANKS ALOT.I JUST TURNED IT DOWN A LITTLE AND THAT DID THE TRICK.BUT HOW DOES THAT SWITCH AFFECT BOTH FRONT AND BACK BRAKES?CAUSE IT MADE BOTH START WORKING
your front was always working correctly. The problem was you rear was keeping everything lit up, so you didn't see a difference when you applied the front brakes.

that was exactly what i was trying to explain. that sucker is very sensitive. good to hear your up and running again.
super.gif

Back