Tachometer/rev counter not working?

BusaVern32

Registered
Hi,
I have a 2001 K1 Busa and for some reason the rev counter has stopped working? Upon initial ignition the dial spins round but once she is running the needle fails to move, any ideas? Thanks in advance.

BusaVern32

Any lights not working as well? Like Red said, check the plug on the back of the cluster.

The cluster is digital, from memory the cable to it has three conductors. I would think that the entire cluster would be gone if it were the connector but that's just a bunch of guess work on my part.

Do you have HIDs installed ? If so disconnect them and see if the tach starts working. If not, download the free service manual Hayabusa Service Manuals | Everything GSX-R and start looking at the circuit. More than likely a pickup coil somewhere sending a signal to the ECU.

Now, the pros should be along shortly to help you sort this out. I rarely use my tach anyway, yes , I would probably just say the heck with it and ride :laugh:

Thanks everyone for the replies, removed instrument panel and checked cabling and still not working. Will check the manual to see circuits etc and last resort will be a set of new clocks if I can't fix it, I will let you know how I get on.

BusaVern32

The needle sweeps so it must be working. Check to make sure the tach pick up off the coil is connected. I think it's cylinder number 1.

Sent from my JKU!

Thanks everyone for the replies, removed instrument panel and checked cabling and still not working. Will check the manual to see circuits etc and last resort will be a set of new clocks if I can't fix it, I will let you know how I get on.

BusaVern32

I agree check the pickup. If it appears OK check the cable. Sometimes there is a tiny amount of dirt/corrosion etc on the connecters so
unplugging and plugging them in a few times MIGHT give a better connection and "cure" the problem.

If you know anyone else with a Busa you might be able to plug your speedometer into their system and if it works you would know
it's not you speedometer. The speedometers are not cheap for a good one. I have a perfect one if it comes down to the speedometer being bad.

Because it sweeps I think it is PROBABLY not the speedometer but a connection issue or pickup issue.

Good luck in figuring it out.
Be sure to keep us informed as someone else might have this problem too.

Back