Tachometer problems

Pop

Prairie Rider
Donating Member
Registered
Finally plugged in the gauge cluster today that I got back from Bluegauges .com.  They are beautiful . There is a problem though.  The tach does not go from 0-redline and back once you turn the ignition on.  I unplugged the back and plugged
it in again and again  and some time it works like it is suppose to and other times it just flickers between 1k and 3k RPM.s   Is there something I can try ?  Everyrhing else works perfect.  Additionally when I start the bike and rev it it is very very sluggish in indicating the actual rpms.   I am not an expert
but it seems to be a "connection" thing.  Can anyone please help ?

<!--EDIT|Pop
Reason for Edit: None given...|1111421181 -->

While holding down the function button on the trip meter, turn on ign, count to two, let go of button then press it twice quickly. The needles will tap their lower stopps about 3 times. This is a reset from the service manual but it sounds like it may not help your particular prob. Give it a go, you never know.

Check connector is not dammaged, give it a spray with contact cleaner.

And make sure the needle is not dragging on the dial face.

Cheers
Ross

I would think it was either a bad connection....bent pin in the connector....or the needle is not on right.

i put on some indiglo gauges a few months agoand now i got the same problem comin home from daytona last weekend and now my rpm needle is stuck at 7K even with the bike off
mad.gif
looks like i gotta pull the cluster out and see WTF is wrong my first though is what nitrousjunkie just said

Well I do not think it is dragging boys. There seems to be quite a space between the needle and face. My worry is that when I squeeze together the connectors that is when it seems to work the best. I hope one of the wires from the harness is not loose in there. I would not know which one! Man I hate electronic stuff!
sad.gif

Well I tried the reset gauge thing. l I reset them tonite and turned the ignition on/off about 10 times straight and the tach worked perfect! I then waited 30 minutes tried it again and this time it got stuck again! As soon as I reset the gauges once again it was perfect again. I guess it is not the connector huh? By the way when the engine is revving it seems to work great although in my opinion the tach is not as responsive as I remember it but I might be wrong on this. Any suggestions?
sad.gif

Maybe all the messing about has caused/aggrivated a dry joint in the unit someware.

Do Bluegauges .com offer any sort of warranty or protection from dammage?

Maybe all the messing about has caused/aggrivated a dry joint in the unit someware.

Do Bluegauges .com offer any sort of warranty or protection from dammage?
Maybe you're right. Either way it just got sent to Bluegages overnight express. I will at least know if the gauges are on or if it is a connector problem.

OK Fellas. Sent the gauges back to Bluegauges.com and this is the respond I got 3 hours after the gauges arrived there!. They are on their way back here today. Yes 24 hour turn around! I highly reccomend this guy!

OK Fotis, here is the deal...

I was able to reproduce the problem the first time I powered them up. The tach needle didn't even move. I checked for pinched wires, found nothing. I checked for the proper square wave signals and all was good. I was at a total loss and thinking about getting a new set of gauges for you.

I then tried to move the needle by hand and found it was sticking to the pin where it sits at rest. Turns out some of the glue from the faceplates must have transferred to the needle and was causing the needle to stick there. This could also have messed up the self test which may have led to inaccurate readings but I couldnt reproduce that. The motors used to move the needles have almost 0 torque so that is why only a tiny bit of glue caused the problem. Once I cleaned it off, the needle worked perfectly. I cycled the power about 100 times with no problems. I also tested the accuracy and found it to be good. This bike will give the impression that they are sluggish but that is normal.

So I will send them back again, I will throw in a sweatshirt for the trouble. And let me know if you want a credit for shipping back to me... I will give you $15 to cover mailing costsl.

Sounds like great customer service! Not only did he fix the problem, but is doing his best to make sure you are compensated for it! I would do business with this guy, but i've already bought the guages and installed them myself, and have this exsact same problem. Please tell us how it turns out after you receive them. did he truly fix the problem? if so i'll tear the guages out and clean the needle too. thanks!

If any of this doesnt work, remove the Tach needle or speed needle ( whichever one thats sticking)  again and wipe with alcohol and a lint free cloth (micro fiber) to remove any body oils that may have gotten onto the metal stem when handling. The body oils is probably causing a bad contact on the metal stem that is the  bottom portion  of the needles that is insterted into the cluster .

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1111761401 -->

If i need to remove the needle, how would i go about doing that? it seemed like it was on there pretty good.

If i need to remove the needle, how would i go about doing that?  it seemed like it was on there pretty good.
[/QUOTE]

Place two spoon on both opposite side of the black cap (needle top portion), then at the same time push the two spoons dowward to lift the needle up out of the cluster.

Use this tool or 2 spoons on on each side of the needle and gently pry off the needle from the gauge assembly.
geocities.com domain gone

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1111779988 -->

I got the gauges back and installed them. They are perfect!!!

If i need to remove the needle, how would i go about doing that?  it seemed like it was on there pretty good.

Place two spoon on both opposite side of the black cap (needle top portion), then at the same time push the two spoons dowward to lift the needle up out of the cluster.

Use this tool or 2 spoons on on each side of the needle and gently pry off the needle from the gauge assembly.
geocities.com domain gone[/QUOTE]
thanks for the info.

My 03 Ann. Edition has the same problem but with the stock tach. The tach bounces all over the place. Dealer checked it 3 times. Did'nt work at all the day I picked up the bike new. Then they got it working and said it was a loose wire?BS

Now again they looked at it and said I need a whole new dash cluster?? The great part is that its back ordered and no delivery date is given.

My tach would read 12k when cruising in 5th gear at 50mph though. Probably not the same problem? My question is why are the dashes not avil. at all?? How many are they replacing?

Back