Synthetic Oil

Strickland604

Registered
I have owned several sport bikes. I have always used Royal Purple oil in my bikes. Now some people are telling me not to use synthetic oil in my Hayabusa that it will mess with the clutch. Has anyone heard of this? Like I said I have ran it in my other bikes and never had a problem.

It's safe to use synthetic, no worries there.

I've been using Mobil-1 Racing 4T, with a stock filter. Zero problems.

Well, if the cost becomes too much, you cant go back to a mineral based oil, so yeah there is a downside to switching to a synthetic.

thumb_up.gif
to synthetic

Used the blue magic in my last 3 bikes as well as my cars and lawn mower. Never had a problem with the clutch slipping even with -1/+2 gearing.
rotellat.jpg

Thanks for the info. I did not think it would hurt it but just had to make sure. I never had a problem with it in my R1 or CBR1000 RR.

This is going to be a very unpopular opinion but, here goes. Synthetic costs more for no real positive effect. You also take the risk of your clutch slipping. Oh yes, it's true.

I have yet to hear of a single motor failing because of it running dino oil as opposed to synthetic.

The dealer puts dino oil in your bike at the recommendation of the manufacturer. I'd bet that the people that made it know a little something.

Let the flaming begin.

This is going to be a very unpopular opinion but, here goes.  Synthetic costs more for no real positive effect.  You also take the risk of your clutch slipping.  Oh yes, it's true.  

I have yet to hear of a single motor failing because of it running dino oil as opposed to synthetic.  

The dealer puts dino oil in your bike at the recommendation of the manufacturer.  I'd bet that the people that made it know a little something.  

Let the flaming begin.
Questions:

What exact brand and viscosity rating - mineral based engine oil do you use , how long have you used this oil and what are your oil change intervals in time or miles ?

Where did you get your information concerning  synthetic base oils being cause for motorcycle clutches to slip ?

Quote:

"The dealer puts dino oil in your bike at the recommendation of the manufacturer"

Citation needed on that one .

BTW , knowing what i know there is NO DOUBT i personaly would buy and use " some " mineral based oil formulations before using " some " synthetics for free but thats not the point i'm fixing to get at .

Manufacturer puts mineral based oil in because it is cheaper and the break in oil is extremely thin and light weight. Closer to the gravity of water. It is not what you should be running after your first service.

http://www.firstfives.org/faq/oil/oilartcl.html

I don't remember exactly why not to go back to mineral based oils but I believe its something to do with the oil bonding to the metal of the your engine and the synthetic residue not allowing the mineral to bond properly. As stated, not 100% on this but someone should be able to correct me shortly

I have owned several sport bikes.  I have always used Royal Purple oil in my bikes.  Now some people are telling me not to use synthetic oil in my Hayabusa that it will mess with the clutch.  Has anyone heard of this?  Like I said I have ran it in my other bikes and never had a problem.
I use Amsoil 10w-40 full synthetic with Amsoil filters ; my clutch and gearbox work smoother than they ever did before.

Well, if the cost becomes too much, you cant go back to a mineral based oil, so yeah there is a downside to switching to a synthetic.
Never heard that one before....do you have a reason? When I swapped the cam in my Nova I switched back to regular oil for the cam break-in and back to synthetic 500 miles later, no harm no foul, why would a bike engine be different?

While we are on topic the royal purple 10-40 you guys run is it the same stuff you put in cars or is it a special motorcycle oil that you use? Sorry I still new

Back