SYNTHETIC OIL

BIKE DUDE

Donating Member
Registered
My first oil change is coming up and I've heard different things about synthetic oil.Can some one answer a couple of questions?
1 That once you go to synthetic you can't go back to regular oil(I don't know why you would want to) Is this true and if so why?
2 How many miles minimum should i have before I switch 500? 1000?
3 If I'm not having any issues with shifting or anything does it even make any difference and is it worth it?
Thanks Everybody

You can go back to reg. oil i hear from a big wig from a quaker state oil company was teaching us about differnt oil and he said we could change back from synthetic oil to reg. oil but why would you do that synthetic oil lasts longer

hay03.JPG

My first oil change is coming up and I've heard different things about synthetic oil.Can some one answer a couple of questions?
1 That once you go to synthetic you can't go back to regular oil(I don't know why you would want to) Is this true and if so why?
2 How many miles minimum should i have before I switch 500? 1000?
3 If I'm not having any issues with shifting or anything does it even make any difference and is it worth it?
Thanks Everybody
1. You can go back and forth between synthetic and regular with no problems as long as both are motorcycle oils.
2. The idea behind a minimum number of miles is that synthetic would slow the break in process. This all depends on which break in method you go by (a whole different bag of worms). I would say 1000 personally, but there's no prescribed magic number.
3. Synthetic oils are said to stand up better to higher temperatures than regular oils, they won't break down as quickly which is why you can go longer between oil changes (but I still would change mine every 3k).

I wouldnt change to synthetic till 1000 miles min. The last thing to seat in are your rings. i have seen more than 1 motor (all cars)that the people ran SYN oil from the day they first fired the fresh motor up to end up having lots of blow-by for a long time after the ring should have seated. I had one motor we took back apart due to way to much blow-by still at 12,000 miles. The motor was built with chrome moly rings (which take forever to seat as it is) at 12k we pulled it apart because the person was told over and over that I had done the cut to fit rings wrong. they where dead on to spec and the rings and walls looked like the motor had never been started (except the carbon on the top of the pistons) I told him from day one how to break in the motor and NOT to use SYN oil till 3,000 miles min. He apologized and paid me to put it back togeather (and for taking it apart) he did as I told him for break in and the blow-by was gone within 2,000 miles. He ran it another 1000 and then changed to SYN oil. The motor when I last set the valves on it (last spring) had 48k and I scoped 2 of the cylinders. it looked like a fresh motor inside that had just passed break in.

You can do whatever  
dunno.gif
you want and the issue of Syn lasting longer, Geezzzzzzzzzzzzz
winkold.gif
, how long do you guys keep any oil in the bike
sadnews.gif
. Cause dirt is dirt, and NO Oil holds up any longer than the other when it's dirty.

Anyway, all I found when I changed to Syn was:
1) It COST a whole lot more
whistling.gif

2) The engine seems to rev up much smoother and easier
3) The clutch is ALOT smoother in shifting
4) I get about 1-2 more mpg's

That's all, but I'll stay with it because of the smoothness, it made a REAL DIFFERENCE
ThumbsUp.gif

2 How many miles minimum should i have before I switch 500?   1000?
Thanks Everybody
1. You can go back and forth between synthetic and regular with no problems as long as both are motorcycle oils.
2. The idea behind a minimum number of miles is that synthetic would slow the break in process. This all depends on which break in method you go by (a whole different bag of worms). I would say 1000 personally, but there's no prescribed magic number.
3. Synthetic oils are said to stand up better to higher temperatures than regular oils, they won't break down as quickly which is why you can go longer between oil changes (but I still would change mine every 3k).
+1

the only thing I'll add is It's always safer to wait as long as possible before going to syth. I'd say 2,000 mi. yes thats concervative. the reason behind it is synth. oil is more slippery and doesnt allow the rings to seat as well while their being broke in. but the majority of the "breaking in" is in the first 50 - 100mi. and trickles off from there. and if i remember right its not completely broke in till around 1500 mi.

Why would you go with synthetic in the first place? I have yet to hear of an engine failing because someone was using dino oil instead of synthetic.

I have indeed however, heard tell of certain types of bikes having serious clutch slipping issues after switching to synthetic.

I wouldnt change to synthetic till 1000 miles min. The last thing to seat in are your rings. i have seen more than 1 motor (all cars)that the people ran SYN oil from the day they first fired the fresh motor up to end up having lots of blow-by for a long time after the ring should have seated. I had one motor we took back apart due to way to much blow-by still at 12,000 miles. The motor was built with chrome moly rings (which take forever to seat as it is) at 12k we pulled it apart because the person was told over and over that I had done the cut to fit rings wrong. they where dead on to spec and the rings and walls looked like the motor had never been started (except the carbon on the top of the pistons) I told him from day one how to break in the motor and NOT to use SYN oil till 3,000 miles min. He apologized and paid me to put it back togeather (and for taking it apart) he did as I told him for break in and the blow-by was gone within 2,000 miles. He ran it another 1000 and then changed to SYN oil. The motor when I last set the valves on it (last spring) had 48k and I scoped 2 of the cylinders. it looked like a fresh motor inside that had just passed break in.
clap.gif

IMO it's of no real advantage to street riders to run synthetic oil. May make YOU feel better but you'll not see any difference (Other than in your wallet) in your bikes performance or behavior. If you race, it's sometimes a good choice as synthetic does not break down as quickly as dino oil under extreme heat? It certainly won't hurt your bike. A personal choice, I suppose?

I have seen clutch slipage problems with synthetic on rare occasions. I use regular old suzuki dino oil and it works great. I change it before every track day and never go more than 3K miles on an oil change. I've had very good success with dino oil.

deadhorse.gif

I am a big proponent of synthetic oil. Yes, I am a synthetic oil addict.

I used Mobil 1 Synthetic 10W-40 Racing 4T at the 600 mile service.

I used it again at 2K, and will continue to use synthetics.

Modern materials used in engine components do not require the arduous break in periods that older engines required.

Take a look at how many engines come from the factory with synthetic oils. VW, Porsche, some Chrysler vehicles, a couple of Italian exotics, even H-D rolls their Screamin' Eagle bikes off the line with their SYN-3 oil in the engine, transmission, and primary (clutch). I know I'm leaving a few out, but there are other manufacturers that use synthetics from the get-go.

I have read white papers from Mobil, Redline, Amsoil, and Kluber. I prefer synthetic, and will always recommend it. Do I think that conventional oil is inferior? NO! Synthetic is just my preference.

Read up and educate yourselves. Exclude the "hype" from any advertising, as well as the urban myths surrounding the negatives about synthetic (my rings didn't seat, synthetic ruined my marriage, etc.). Make your oil choice based on what you feel is right for you. As long as you use a quality oil and filter, and change it regularly, how can you go wrong?

Flame away boys and girls. I know it's coming.

hmmm who hear even knows how you would determine if an engine failure was in direct realtion with the oil that was run...

Just because bearings fail doesn't mean it's the oil's fault.

lurk.gif
argue.gif
lurk.gif

me, I've run full auto (not bike specific) synth. Even when I put a motor together it's got breakin lube and full synth. no problems ever...

do what you feel comfortable in doing and let the other guys do what they feel comfortable in doing.
beerchug.gif

lurk.gif

I use Shell Rotella Synthetic 5W-40. I pay less than $17 for a gallon. I also use a Puralator oil filter which costs me $6. I can't see paying double for oil and filter that reads Suzuki or Motorcycle. My Busa runs quieter and shifts easier.

You can go back to reg. oil i hear from a big wig from a quaker state oil company was teaching us about differnt oil and he said we could change back from synthetic oil to reg. oil but why would you do that synthetic oil lasts longer
sorry to hijack the thread but where did you get that wind screen from scorpion?

deadhorse.gif

I am a big proponent of synthetic oil. Yes, I am a synthetic oil addict.

I used Mobil 1 Synthetic 10W-40 Racing 4T at the 600 mile service.

I used it again at 2K, and will continue to use synthetics.

Modern materials used in engine components do not require the arduous break in periods that older engines required.

Take a look at how many engines come from the factory with synthetic oils. VW, Porsche, some Chrysler vehicles, a couple of Italian exotics, even H-D rolls their Screamin' Eagle bikes off the line with their SYN-3 oil in the engine, transmission, and primary (clutch). I know I'm leaving a few out, but there are other manufacturers that use synthetics from the get-go.

I have read white papers from Mobil, Redline, Amsoil, and Kluber. I prefer synthetic, and will always recommend it. Do I think that conventional oil is inferior? NO! Synthetic is just my preference.

Read up and educate yourselves. Exclude the "hype" from any advertising, as well as the urban myths surrounding the negatives about synthetic (my rings didn't seat, synthetic ruined my marriage, etc.). Make your oil choice based on what you feel is right for you. As long as you use a quality oil and filter, and change it regularly, how can you go wrong?

Flame away boys and girls. I know it's coming.
I'm not going to flame you but the FACT is some cars trucks and bikes do come with SYN oil but they also use different material for there rings, bearings, cylinder liners and other parts that do not need seating as do most parts that are in most everyday vehicles. Just because some things come with SYN oil doesnt make break in a myth. LOL
laugh.gif

Back