Syncing the Busa

Justyntym

The Pessimistic Optimist
Donating Member
Registered
Don't want to use the mecury gauges and would like to know or have another option.

What other gauges would you guys recommend and where?? Some place local and quick would be great.

Vacuum gauge half way down the page. Look under tools/ tuning.
I haven't used then, just saw them as a option

Link

tool_carb_sync_gauges.jpg

why is everyone so scared to use the mercury guages?? if you just take your time and dont REV the engine up real high there is no danger... you dont have to rev your engine up to 9000 rpms to sync your throttle bodies...

I've got a set of Carbtune mercury sticks and they work great. Never have even come close to sucking the mercury out. As Sloto said, if the synch is done properly there is no danger. The merc sticks are easier to read and very accurate.

(Red05 @ Sep. 09 2006,12:08) I've got a set of Carbtune mercury sticks and they work great. Never have even come close to sucking the mercury out. As Sloto said, if the synch is done properly there is no danger. The merc sticks are easier to read and very accurate.
I just ordered a set from the MAC man could use some info on the sync when it comes in thanks for any help in advance
smile.gif

Well let me put it this way, the when I first started the motor #4 was pulling pretty strong and the others were all at different levels. FI light came on and bike stalled.

I rehooked up the green sensor on the box and restarted the bike. 1-3 ran up like normal...4 was dead for a second or two, then started sucking mecury up the tube in little spurts. I killed the motor before any of it got to it. But now a few little balls of mecury were up towards the top of the tubes and would not go down.

So I'm thinking...if I try again, it's suck the few little balls at the top in (maybe not, but not willing to take that chance).

I call it quits for a few minutes to rethink my game plan...I come back out the 'fn thing has decided to fall over and the hose on the back popped out and mecury is all over my garage.

Wonderful....it was at this point I decided mecury sticks are not for me. Not my day to be sure. Least the bike is fine. Usually when my Karma is going like this I get as far away from the bike as I can
tounge.gif

In rhetrospec I believe I had the sticks at a slight angle, which led 1-3 to fill up normally and take all/most of the mecury leaving 4 to skim off the top and just pick up small surges or balls and being lighter they travelled higher than acceptable. Why the balls didn't travel back down the tube...I don't know. Probably to light, they were very tiny.

Sooo....I learned my throttle bodies are way out of sync (like I suspected due to my idle) and I can't fix em..yet.

Ordered these today...

carbopening2.jpg

8-10 working days...I'll try again.
mad.gif

(Justyntym @ Sep. 09 2006,14:10) Well let me put it this way, the when I first started the motor #4 was pulling pretty strong and the others were all at different levels. FI light came on and bike stalled.

I rehooked up the green sensor on the box and restarted the bike. 1-3 ran up like normal...4 was dead for a second or two, then started sucking mecury up the tube in little spurts. I killed the motor before any of it got to it. But now a few little balls of mecury were up towards the top of the tubes and would not go down.

So I'm thinking...if I try again, it's suck the few little balls at the top in (maybe not, but not willing to take that chance).

I call it quits for a few minutes to rethink my game plan...I come back out the 'fn thing has decided to fall over and the hose on the back popped out and mecury is all over my garage.

Wonderful....it was at this point I decided mecury sticks are not for me. Not my day to be sure. Least the bike is fine. Usually when my Karma is going like this I get as far away from the bike as I can  
tounge.gif

In rhetrospec I believe I had the sticks at a slight angle, which led 1-3 to fill up normally and take all/most of the mecury leaving 4 to skim off the top and just pick up small surges or balls and being lighter they travelled higher than acceptable. Why the balls didn't travel back down the tube...I don't know. Probably to light, they were very tiny.

Sooo....I learned my throttle bodies are way out of sync (like I suspected due to my idle) and I can't fix em..yet.

Ordered these today...

carbopening2.jpg

8-10 working days...I'll try again.  
mad.gif
uhmmm Justyntym?...

"But now a few little balls of mecury were up towards the top of the tubes and would not go down."

i never.....sump'ins really wrong there...mercury is like liquid lead with a mind of it's own when spilled but.......it always goes..."down".
rock.gif

thgese have always worked flawlessly for me and my good bud Ivan has been using the same exact set in his shop for 17 years...

SYNCH4.jpg

SYNCH5.jpg

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

I know, weird right...I even tapped it on the bottom lightly trying to knock em down. They weren't very big, but I figured any mecury in the motor was very bad.

Ex-wife snagged the camera this week-end or I'd take a picture.

I don't think it was the sticks, I think it was just me having a bad day. To much snafu and the risk was just to high for any comfort level.

just saw that above.

I believe we take the 5mm fittings. Is this correct?

I'm going to order the extras while I'm at it.

runeight

adapbrass.jpg

My set came with the correct adapters. Spkerhed, just make sure and warm the bike up first, and "bap" the throttle a few times as you're adjusting, letting the sticks settle back to position each time. If you need any help, send me a PM. Bill, nice evenness
cool.gif
. Nice picture, too  
smile.gif

That carbtune unit looks nice... the one i used at a friends house is the one Jinkster has in his picture and it worked flawlessly!

It truely comes down to personal preference. I have seen several people use the Merc gauges and they work flawlessly and Like Jinks has said before they are probably more accurate.

I am one of those picky people that I just prefer not to have mercury laying around whether it is in a container or loose, just don't want the mess or the probability of spillage so I use the dial gauges. with the proper technique and a way to regulate the vacuum pulses the gauges work good enough for me.

So what ever works for you is what you should stick with IMO.

Back