Synced up the throttle bodies today

BusaWhipped

Donating Member
Registered
This was the first time doing it myself. i usually have the shop take care of it every couple oil changes. I borrowed a carbtune set from CrashTestDanny. It wasn't too bad, considering having to hover over a hot Busa engine when its 100 degrees outside and 80% relative humidity :firedevil:

I know there is a how on the org, so here are my cliff notes. I put Luci up on the service stands, I don't think that matters. Take off the seat, lift the tank, remove the air cleaner. Leave the vacuum line attached to IAP sensor and remove the mounting bolt. You'll need that attached when you do the sync. Remove the IAT sensor from the airbox, plug it back into the connector, and set it somewhere out of the way.

I the PAIR valve removed and the small airbox mod, so I'm not sure if there are other things that need to be removed/plugged to get the air box out or not.

The carbtune doesn't need to be calibrated (or more accurately cannot be calibrated) so we can jump right into the sync.

Disconnect the vacuum hoses from the throttle body and connect the vacuum tubes from the carbtune where indicated by the blue circles. Disconnect the vacuum tube indicated by the red circle and connect the IAP sensor there. The 3 adjustment screws are circled in white.

Start the engine, let it come up to normal operating temp, and set the idle at 1150 RPM (the factory tach isn't that accurate but its somewhere near there). Luci was pretty far off. I knew it from how bad the exhaust was smelling and how rough she was idling. After playuing with the adjustment screws for a little bit, much better. It isn't perfect, but its much better than it was. Maybe with some more practice I'll be able to get it spot on. I'd rate this a 2 out of 10 on the difficulty meter.

100_5081 (Medium).JPG

100_5080 (Medium).JPG

IAP Sensor.JPG

100_5085 (Medium).JPG

100_5084 (Medium).JPG

100_5086 (Medium).JPG

100_5088 (Medium).JPG

100_5089 (Medium).JPG

The best part is you saved money by doing it yourself! Seems fairly easy. Should be just as simple for the Gen II correct?

Good job, Dennis! I need to go through the engine tune up specs on mine and the sync thing is pretty close to the top. I've been trying to find an accurate tuning set up and wondered if anyone could outline any accuracy differences in the vacuum gauge, mercury scale, or mercury substitute type gauges. I would like to buy my own set as I'm not sure there is anyone close who would be willing to loan a guage set out, I know I'm kinda partial that way myself. Thanks for the tips and the info and have a good weekend. :thumbsup: :beerchug:

Good job, Dennis! I need to go through the engine tune up specs on mine and the sync thing is pretty close to the top. I've been trying to find an accurate tuning set up and wondered if anyone could outline any accuracy differences in the vacuum gauge, mercury scale, or mercury substitute type gauges. I would like to buy my own set as I'm not sure there is anyone close who would be willing to loan a guage set out, I know I'm kinda partial that way myself. Thanks for the tips and the info and have a good weekend. :thumbsup: :beerchug:

You can get the Carbtune on ebay for $112 new.

After completing this tune, what is the resulting improvement? Does it ride smoother? Does it provide better mileage? I think the before/after pics of the gauge are pretty dramatic.

It idles smother and throttle response is better. I usually have it done every 7,500 mies or so. Its been more than 15,000 since the last one this time.

It idles smother and throttle response is better. I usually have it done every 7,500 mies or so. Its been more than 15,000 since the last one this time.

You'll get better gas mileage, too.

--Wag--

Got to do mine, too. Change out all the vacuum lines and check wires. One of these days I'll figure out that intermittent lurching/stalling problem that I always manage to solve, then a week later comes back. :banghead: :cursin:

so if the bike has a tendency to die out for no apparent reason when the throttle is snapped shut at idle, this may be something good to do? anyone in the kalispell area have a set of these gauges i can borrow?

so if the bike has a tendency to die out for no apparent reason when the throttle is snapped shut at idle, this may be something good to do? anyone in the kalispell area have a set of these gauges i can borrow?

Throttle body sync and idle adjustment should fix that.

what in the world is going on? you washed her and synced her too? good grief, are you planning on going somewhere or something? :laugh:

Back