Sylvania Silverstar headlight bulb(s)

FloydV

Donating Member
Registered
I did a search, and the only reference I am seeing is for a high beam bulb -- 9005 12V. I thought there were two bulbs, one for low and the other for high. I honestly never paid that much attention.

If there are two (2005 model), is 9005 the correct number for both for a Sylvania Silverstar replacement?

Thanks.

9005 = High beam, H7 = Low beam...

Also, if your going to be replacing both headlights, why not go HID's??? HUGE difference.

Where are u guys getting these hids at? What are the best kits?
I been thinking about them but i dont drive much at night..
I was wanting a more of blue color..

I went with DDMTuning.com, they worked out awesome for me, no issues at all.

the lights will get more of a blue color the higher K you go. so pretty much once you go over 6000K the light starts to get blue but go too high (12000K) it starts to get a purple color.

Cool thanks alot..i see ddmtuning has a lot of choices..now here goes the questions...lol
35 or 55 watt??
Single or dual kit?
Are u guys doing the high beam also?
If so i guess i have to buy 2 different kits? Because the dual kit only comes with one bulb choice..

Cool thanks alot..i see ddmtuning has a lot of choices..now here goes the questions...lol
35 or 55 watt??
Single or dual kit?
Are u guys doing the high beam also?
If so i guess i have to buy 2 different kits? Because the dual kit only comes with one bulb choice..

I went with 35 watt (read somewhere that 55 could melt housing so i played it safe), got both high and low (you will never need your high again) and got the 6000K. i ordered 2 seperate kits, one for the 9005 and one for the h7.

attached is my before and after with the HID's.

20111227_103904[1].jpg

20111227_112714[1].jpg

I went with DDMTuning.com, they worked out awesome for me, no issues at all.

the lights will get more of a blue color the higher K you go. so pretty much once you go over 6000K the light starts to get blue but go too high (12000K) it starts to get a purple color.

How much did you pay for the set of two (lower/upper)? To the human eye 6,000 degrees Kelvin is the color daylight at noon. That is color temp that the human eye sees best in. When you start going too blue, the lights may look cool, but your vision at night will diminish. Below 6000K, and you start to go yellow, again suffering loss of visual acuity.

I saw a set of Sylvania Silverstars for a car, and they wanted $50 for the pair. They had a chart on the back saying that they would last 1/4 the time that the cheaper, less bright bulbs would.

I'm intrigued with HIDs. They are definitely the brightest. I've heard people say just replace the low beam, it's all you'll need, and other people say do both. Other posts say that I would also have to install a switch so that starting the bike wouldn't constantly be turning them on and off when you went from on to crank.

I would consider $150 a good price for the low beam. I don't want to spend $300 for two. That money could go to other goodies.

I've been on the fence for quite some time now about the HIDs. Tried PIAA Extreme White + bulbs, but the H7s only lasted 3-4 months, and at $50 per, unacceptable. Like the blue tint (on my blue bike), so I'm going to look into these.
Thanks for the link..:thumbsup:

Some people have suggested going noticeably into the blue light range because the 6K HIDs look exactly like daylight and you are less apt to be noticed (from a safety standpoint).

for the price of the silverstars, you can buy a nice HID setup.I think mine are Xentecs and were like $40 and work awesome.

u get wat u pay for. u buy the junk HID's and they will give u a giant headache. spend a little more money and get a better ballast and bulb that will last

Back