switching tanks

smokingness69

Registered
does anyone have info on putting a 05 gas tank on a 00 busa. the 00 busa has an external fuel pump and the 05 has an in the tank fuel pump. im trying to put 05 skins on my 00 busa. im pretty sure everything else matches up. just wondering how the tank problem can be fixed.

use the 05 tank,buy the tank plate that has the bungs on bottom & use the 00 pump setup and run the lines or buy a 05 injector harness and use the 05 tank and pump.

<!--EDIT|GoldenChild
Reason for Edit: None given...|1124081926 -->

Pretty much coverd it the only down side to his first suggestion on the fix is bye bye fuel gauge
sad.gif

99-00 have a black square plug for the power commander and 01 up has a white round plug.

i think i solved my tank problem. what i did was i left the internal pump inside the tank but didnt wire it up. instead i used the pump's sending fuel bung as a fuel return. to do that you have to remove what i think is called the fuel regulater. its the polished piece connected to the fuel pump and held in place by a white plastic clip. after removing that i drilled a 3/8 in hole on the bottom left corner where the fuel pump is mounted. its in the lowest part of the tank. then i went to napa and bought a fuel bung which accepts 3/8 in fuel line and has 1/4 in threads on it. i already had a nut at home to fit it. next i took the nut and welded it to the tank over the hole i drilled. then i applied some pipe tape to the fuel bung and screwed it into the nut. the reason i welded the nut to the tank instead of welding the fuel bung to the tank is because the fuel bung is made of brass and wont weld. after that put the fuel pump back in the tank and used the two wires on it that went to the fuel gauge and spliced them to the ones on the bike. i then connected the return fuel line on the 00 external pump to the 04's fuel sending line which i had converted to a return line. then i connected the fuel sending line on the 00 external pump to the fuel bung i welded to the tank. i also installed a fuel filter in between. i think thats everything. i know this is long and maybe confusing and i wish i had a camera to show pics of everything but i dont. so far its working. i dont think ill have any problems. it is a tight fit though. the fuel pump on the tank butts up against the fuel pump on the frame of the bike. if anyone has any questions about what i did, ill try to answer as best i can.

Back