Switching 2000 tank with 2001

fastphil73

Registered
Ok guys thought I had it all worked out with my 2k busa. Stuttered really bad when I bought it and I read on here about fuel screens. When I put it back together the fuel pump was bad. I talked to a guy at a local shop about switching to a newer tank with internal pump. He had done this but he switched out the wiring harness and cpu to do it. My question is cant I just switch the tanks out. I know that the plug on the bottom will have to be checked and my harness spliced to work as well as running fuel line. Has anyone here done this before. Can anyone think of anything else I will have to do? Alot of guys on here know alot about these bikes please share the knowledge.

99-00 busa has external pump on rail and 01 up has internal pump....you can do one of two things buy a 01 up tank paint to match and take the plug off the old pump and attach it to new one or buy another external fuel pump.

Seems easier to me to buy a fuel pump, I don't think there are any advantages with the newer setup..........

(Mr Brown @ Nov. 03 2006,17:56) Seems easier to me to buy a fuel pump, I don't think there are any advantages with the newer setup..........
i hear ya cn get a little more hp outta the internal setup than external,no biggie for a street bike though...

(GoldenChild @ Nov. 03 2006,20:01)
(Mr Brown @ Nov. 03 2006,17:56) Seems easier to me to buy a fuel pump, I don't think there are any advantages with the newer setup..........
i hear ya cn get a little more hp outta the internal setup than external,no biggie for a street bike though...
Yeah right sure buddy. What are you the guru or something?
LOL

How much hp we talking, is it worth the switch?

(Mr Brown @ Nov. 03 2006,18:04)
LOL

No guru,and never will claim that...not worth a switch unless you had matching body.

I am going for reliability. These 2k pumps are junk and everyone I have talked to said the same thing. I figured all I needed to do is change the plugs just wanted to make sure before dropping the money. Found a 06 tank and pump locally with reasonable price. Does anyone know the wiring on the newer pump (pump pos/neg, fuel gauge relay) this could really save me some time
beerchug.gif

(GoldenChild @ Nov. 03 2006,21:18)
(Mr Brown @ Nov. 03 2006,18:04)
LOL

No guru,and never will claim that...not worth a switch unless you had matching body.
I'm just playin Daniel, I appreciate all the knowledge you have passed on to me!

You'll also have to shim the newer tank,I think its a bit shorter than the 2000,atleast I had to when I put an 04 tank on my 99.

any ideas on what i should do with the vaccum line from the old fuel pressure regulaior? Should i just block it off? This is the last thing I need to finish up

(fastphil73 @ Nov. 04 2006,13:35) do you have any pics you could post of the shims
You'll need 4 (bushings) a little over half inch thick to mount the tank on the bracket effectively moving the tank forward as the 99-00 tanks are longer,I no longer have the bike,so no pics,sorry,NJ.

Back