SWITCHED TO OCTANE 87

1127 TO 1299

Registered
This morning i tried 87 octane,
i am not sure if i am hallucinating
but the bike sounds better.
Maybe because it burns better.
Felt the bike a bit better responsive at low revs.
The lows rpms stutter becam negligent.
But now, when i cut off the gas completely and pressing on the clutch, engine stalls (shut down)

what is happening?

What is your idle rpm set at??
hummm
rock.gif

didn't ckeck
i'll check tonite

can changing the octane change the idle rpm?

I don't think octane effects the idle... But, you sometimes need to adjust it anyway.

Check the idle... That is your problem (9 times out of 10).

Always start with the cheapest fixes and move to the more expensive ones. It can't hurt to check.

Mine did the exact same thing. But if I let her warm up for a minute or two then take it out I have no problems. Its when I am in a hurry and dont give it to much \warmup that it stalls. Just my 2 cents and I also use 87 octane

bike was warmed up
it's only at the end f the ride when I got back in the city street where i had to go slow enough to pull the clutch in.

I'll check the idle the next time.

Octane is gasolines resistance to burning. Higher octane ratings are only to prevent detonation or preignition or line OPEC's pockets.

Should not have any effect on idling or stalling.

Don't know bout the mo powr thing but using any more than 87 with no engine mods is a waste of money.

What Mikey said and... because Octane slows combustion, any more Octane than needed to prevent preignition slows combustion too much resulting in parasitic power losses in our fast-burn combustion chambers.

What Mikey said and... because Octane slows combustion, any more Octane than needed to prevent preignition slows combustion too much resulting in parasitic power losses in our fast-burn combustion chambers.
Ummm...

To my understanding...

Octane increases the initial compustion point (temp) of the gas, It shouldn't slow down the burn, just keep it from igniting before it should.

<!--EDIT|Mikey D
Reason for Edit: None given...|1090123277 -->

not an expert on the whole octane thing.....all I know is 93 costs .20/gal more
tounge.gif

seriously, I've used 87 (min octaine you can buy here, then 89, then 91/93, then 104) for a year now after the techs said running the good stuff isnt doing anything but making opec and the d*cks that own the oil companies locally richer
laugh.gif
Mine hasnt had any issues and runs just fine....though I have had my idle adjusted 2x now because of stalling issues.

Ummm...

To my understanding...

Octane increases the initial compustion point (temp) of the gas, It shouldn't slow down the burn, just keep it from igniting before it should.[/QUOTE]

Hmmmmm... this may be largely a matter of semantics but your comment started me thinking about it so I did about an hour of research on the matter at credible web sites (S.A.E., Sandia National Labs, Univ. of Western Australia, US Government, various fuel manufacturers, etc.) and it seems that we are both correct. Most of the explanations were highly technical in terms of chemistry and physics but the most commonly recurring themes that I found were:
1- That Octane delays the ignition of compressed air/fuel mixtures.
2- That Octane slows the burn rate of compressed air/fuel mixtures (combustion).
I'm a Physics major so most of the chemistry was over my head. One thing that was unequivocally clear though is that once an engine has enough Octane to prevent preignition and/or detonation (which, contrary to popular opinion, are different things), additional Octane has no beneficial effect upon engine performance and actually reduces power slightly because it further dilutes the air/fuel mixture (displacing fuel) resulting in less potential energy from combustion. To get back on the thread point, I see no way that engine stalls or low idle speed could be caused by changing to a slightly lower Octane gasoline.  
smile.gif

Back