Switch to turn off....

greg3852

Registered
Don’t judge me, but I used to have a bike that I could cut off the rear lights and turn signals. It came in very handy. Was thinking of doing the same on the busa.

I’m guessing I could just wire a small switch in between the wiring going into the tail or am I dreaming?

Greg,

A quick and dirty way to accomplish this is while you are riding, press the start button. This kills all the tail lamps and as long as you dont squeeze the clutch in the starter never engages.

To achieve what you would like as you said all you have to do is put an "interrupt" switch inline with the rear lamps. You would snip the parking light wire, put one side to the in leg of 2 pole switch, the other side to the other leg and your golden. Because the brake and park lights are independent circuits you would either need 2 switches, could use a relay, or could utelize diodes.

If you were to use the relay basically what you would do is add the relay in line with your brake light wire. Cut the brake light wire and put the brake lights themselves to post 87 of the relay. You would put the originating wire that signals the brake light to 30 of the relay. Basically that sets it up so when the relay is at rest the brake lights operate normal.
You then ground the relay on 86 and put the park light wire to 85.

When you use the switch to cut power the park lights then the relay will open and kill the continuity for the brake lights.

Problem with the starter button method is that will kill the headlight too......
Not that I've ever needed to evade anyone, but I may or may not have wired a lighted rocker switch inline with all rear lighting on my a bike (or sxs) that lit when the lights were extinguished. Be sure to interrupt signal to the bulbs themselves, rather than just the lighting circuit or braking will still light them up. I find the lighted rocker useful for ensuring you don't leave them off inadvertently.

You Need to kill the headlight too, as it can be seen just as well, if not more than the tail and brake lights.
I have held wot then turned the key off a time or 2...and with fantastic results.
Allowing me to park inconspicuously in plain sight, and watch the people that were behind me go on by.
I have considered an on/off switch for All lights on every bike I've owned.
Several ways to do it, but I never settled on which way would be best or safest(in terms of not causing future gremlins).

You Need to kill the headlight too, as it can be seen just as well, if not more than the tail and brake lights.
I have held wot then turned the key off a time or 2...and with fantastic results.
Allowing me to park inconspicuously in plain sight, and watch the people that were behind me go on by.
I have considered an on/off switch for All lights on every bike I've owned.
Several ways to do it, but I never settled on which way would be best or safest(in terms of not causing future gremlins).
Almost impossible to see a headlight from behind the bike at high speed, even out in the sticks where I live.
You can unplug your taillight harness and try it...

Almost impossible to see a headlight from behind the bike at high speed, even out in the sticks where I live.
Try it.....

Oh I have.
Everything we've done has been fully researched, lol.
The more in the sticks and further out of town, the darker it is, and the easier it is to see a headlight from a long ways off.

As well as a thermal emergency blanket/radiant barrier material makes a heat source(like a body and an engine) invisible to a FLIR camera...it's a good thing I'm not a real criminal.

Oh I have.
Everything we've done has been fully researched, lol.
The more in the sticks and further out of town, the darker it is, and the easier it is to see a headlight from a long ways off.

As well as a thermal emergency blanket/radiant barrier material makes a heat source(like a body and an engine) invisible to a FLIR camera...it's a good thing I'm not a real criminal.
Agreed that the lower level of ambient light the more a headlight is trackable, but at speed I like to be able to see where I'm going. So, given that neither of us are real criminals, would you agree that at high speeds a headlight is harder to see from behind than a tail light, and given the absence of low light optics (I don't typically ride or drive at night with infra-red capability) killing the rears but leaving the headlight is an acceptable level of risk?
Not that I've ever evaded or eluded, but I would imagine that it would work quite well:poke:

Agreed that the lower level of ambient light the more a headlight is trackable, but at speed I like to be able to see where I'm going. So, given that neither of us are real criminals, would you agree that at high speeds a headlight is harder to see from behind than a tail light, and given the absence of low light optics (I don't typically ride or drive at night with infra-red capability) killing the rears but leaving the headlight is an acceptable level of risk?
Not that I've ever evaded or eluded, but I would imagine that it would work quite well:poke:

Agreed:beerchug:

I just pull over.... no tickets in 12 years.... u guys gotta befriend/ ride with some cops... it helps.

If you need to shut off your tail lights. Might want to think about getting a faster bike...... just saying. Lol. Jk.

Whatever you do don't get hurt. I have ran from the pigs and had some very close calls. But now I would probably pull over. But depends on what I was doing. Coming from 20 plus tickets include 120 plus in a 55 mph zone and a handful of careless driving tickets.

Back