swingarm vs extenders

Mike,

Whats a ballpark figure for your swingarms? if you would rather PM me, that works for me. Looking to make a few changes over the winter. =)

Ok,  I've heard it several times and I'd like to open this up...

Most OEM places in Florida sell Yani (other places too, I'm sure).  That's what NYC parts are! so, If the aluminum is inferior, why would so many large shops take the liability of selling and installing an unsafe product? Not sure if these extenders are asian or american made, but I'm sure that there are a huge amount of them strapped on swingarms across the world and on many different bikes.  

Has anyone seen, heard, have documentation on failures of these extensions?  

Having said this (and even owning a yani set...), I believe that the OEM engineering IS the safest and best overall handling configuration possible.  I also think that a solid arm IS better than a bolt on... and finally, I'm not that "hard" of a rider so I find myself somewhat content with what I have because I just don't know how long I'm going to leave them on.

mike

I feel one of the biggest bennifits to getting an arm is that you can still retain OE wheel base and go 6 over without having to unbolt anything. That's the only negative for extensions. Even at their shortest setting your a few over. There are really good quality extensions and very good arms as well.

Commuta,

To go from 0 to 6 over, you'd at least have to change your chain. I'd say that constitutes "unbolting something"

Commuta,

To go from 0 to 6 over, you'd at least have to change your chain.  I'd say that constitutes "unbolting something"
true... but the same holds true for swapping extensions on n off so I figured the chain was a mut point.
shake.gif
The extensions don't allow you to run a stock wheel base so my thought was to go back to a stock setting you would have to unbolt the extensions and the added brake torque arm extension.

btw... I use extensions for my bike.

I have been making Bolt one extensions since 1995. STAY AWAY FROM NYC PARTS!!! Not all Bolt on extensions are made the same. The market has been flooded with cheap parts that arent made from 6061 billet. If you buy them off of Ebay you have no idea what you are getting.
The bolt-ons from Gixx are QUALITY .

Most OEM places in Florida sell Yani (other places too, I'm sure).  That's what NYC parts are! so, If the aluminum is inferior, why would so many large shops take the liability of selling and installing an unsafe product? Not sure if these extenders are asian or american made, but I'm sure that there are a huge amount of them strapped on swingarms across the world and on many different bikes.  

Having said this (and even owning a yani set...), I believe that the OEM engineering IS the safest and best overall handling configuration possible.  I also think that a solid arm IS better than a bolt on... and finally, I'm not that "hard" of a rider so I find myself somewhat content with what I have because I just don't know how long I'm going to leave them on.

mike
Yes I have seen failures with the Yani ( NYC parts) Their triple clamps have also had failures. The local shop know little of nothing about extensions. Their bottom line is to make money.

mike
Yes I have seen failures with the Yani ( NYC parts) Their triple clamps have also had failures. The local shop know little of nothing about extensions. Their bottom line is to make money.
of course no one likes to be first, but the first catastrophic occurrance (injury) and following litigation from such a failure will probably halt all sales regardless of markup potential and package disclaimer.  

I'm sure there are isolated incidents of even frames stressing under certain conditions where they fail but I'd guarantee that a few would stop production and sales of any bike.  No, I don't think I'd want to personally run 500 hp rw being held by an aluminum bolt on. I also would instatntly distance my dealership from being associated with inferior parts when serious liability is on the line when the result is negative "bottom line".  

I have an issue with Yani because of personal fittment issues that I spent time correcting, I would hope there would be well published documentation and "web info" that identify and illustrate potentialy fatal modifications.  So, what I'm saying is, instead of saying the parts are crap and not suited for their intended use, get the information out that exposes real problems.

2 cents.

mike

Don't forget the offerings of Exoticycle machined by CDiPrecision. He is a metal artist. I also believe he is supplying some of the other companies customized versions.

and ours fit correctly..:) I'm currently making the triple clamp for the 08 Busa but may make some Gen 1 also if theres a need for them(Alot of folks make em already).

these are the ones i am going for, hopefully they are good

A2666%2520and%2520Y1A-2.jpg

item number 110161466928
the seller IS a Yana Shiki dealer. The "Busa" and emblem can no longer be on the parts because Suzuki (as I understand) has stopped the unauthorized use of the trademarks. These are the same style as mine only in a different finish. You can also see the Yani labels on the pics of several other products sold in the ebay store.

I'm fine with them. Mine were brown anodized that I powdercoated. Don't forget abobut the extended brake line and chain. I would also use threadlocker on the mounting screws.

I had to grind down the length of the brake bracket screws (or use a small washer) so the screws don't have a chance to touch your rear disc.

mike

I have had 2 customer that brought be there damaged Bolt on extensions from Yani Shiki. On one of them the aluminum started to crack inside the pocket. There are many factors to consider when making extensions. Harmonic vibrations being on of them,the shape and material that is used are others. Here are some examples of my extensions and what to look for.

See the curvature underneath the axle adjuster bolt. This dampens vibrations
Extensions10.jpg

With my extensions you screw into stainless steel,not into the extensions.
Extensions9.jpg

Tapped hole for spools
Extensions3.jpg

Radiused here to dampen vibration
Extensions2-1.jpg

Radiused here also
Extensions1.jpg

Swingarm33.jpg

Wellnuts2.jpg

Back