Swingarm removal?

hondpwr

Donating Member
Registered
I'm getting ready to remove my swingarm. Is tricks I need to know? How to support the bike? Special tools needed?

Depends on if you are replacing it. Link breaker for starters as the chain goes through the swing arm. Motorcylce Jack to unload rear suspension. Large socket to unbolt the pivot shaft(sorry forgot the size) Seal puller, bushing/bearing driver to take both big & small bearings & seal out/in. Also to re-install chain you will need a link/ chain press. You really don't want to use a master link. If I forgot anything I'm sure the bro's will clue you in.

it takes a special tool to take the nut off the main pin(pivot shaft) it is over 100 dollars thru the dealership

(spkerhed @ Nov. 20 2006,15:45) it takes a special tool to take the nut off the main pin(pivot shaft) it is over 100 dollars thru the dealership
Thats what I was afraid of. I'm pulling the swing arm to get it powdercoated. I hate to spend $100 for just 1 time.
mad.gif

Bill, Derek has the tools. I had to borrow his when i did mine.

Oh, and there's no problem with using a masterlink. Don't listen to the BS.

(hondpwr @ Nov. 20 2006,16:07)
(spkerhed @ Nov. 20 2006,15:45) it takes a special tool to take the nut off the main pin(pivot shaft) it is over 100 dollars thru the dealership
Thats what I was afraid of. I'm pulling the swing arm to get it powdercoated. I hate to spend  $100 for just 1 time.
mad.gif
I just made my own tool like you said 1 time wasnt worth it

Masterlinks have been (rarely, but it still happens) known to break or come loose, allowing the chain to come apart in a sometimes catastrophic manner.

I don't like master links either. If you dragrace, I would NOT suggest using one, but that is just my opinion. Street riding and goofing off a master link would be fine.

I was once one of those same folks who said "Rivet Shmeevit"; Master link worked fine for the better part of one year! Then without warning I had one come apart......... Spend a few $ more and install a Rivet style link! The life you save could be yours.

I had a master link chain destroy my tl1000, it came apart and somehow cracked something in the engine, I sold the bike that day, leaking all kinds of oil....
mad.gif
not to mention when it happened I alomst took out 3 other bikes when I went down...
I WILL NEVER USE ONE AGAIN

(ks-waterbug @ Nov. 21 2006,02:44) I was once one of those same folks who said "Rivet Shmeevit"; Master link worked fine for the better part of one year! Then without warning I had one come apart......... Spend a few $ more and install a Rivet style link! The life you save could be yours.
+1

I always say theres nothing wrong with going against a recommend part if you're stepping up to a better replacement part.

theres nothing wrong with "master links", if you use a good strong chain and put the clip on in the right direction and put silicon over the clip. i worked in prostock bike for 3 years and never had one problem with master link clips.

also maybe see if your local shop will break the nut loose for you if you bring your bike by. I would help if you are anywhere near indy.

Back