Swingarm removal

Vetteman761

Registered
Hi guys , I have been trying like hell to get my swingarm pivot bolt but believe it is seized up, any tricks you all know of to get it off? Any suggestions would be appreciated

I’m also at that stage but I don’t have the socket yet.
I also already screwed myself since my rim is off. In retrospect I think it would have been wiser to crack that bolt loose with the bike in a wheel chock and pressure still on the swing arm. I assume your wheel is prob off too. My only suggestion is as I said maybe crack it loose while you have some weight on it. Then proceed with the removal

Are you talking about the main or the lower links? The lowering links were tight on mine I used a wrench on one side twisting to the garage floor and a breaker bar on the other side.

Yea already got both nuts lose, talking about the main bolt going through, sprayed wd on both sides, got a 3 pound dead blow hammer whacked at it a bit, now thinking of getting a full size sledgehammer and going at it with that lol

Yea already got both nuts lose, talking about the main bolt going through, sprayed wd on both sides, got a 3 pound dead blow hammer whacked at it a bit, now thinking of getting a full size sledgehammer and going at it with that lol
What the hell???
Have you got the castle lock nut right off? And also the big hex nut right off? Are you saying the swingarm pivot bolt(big long one) will not slide out?
Have you tried to rotate it using the hex head on the left side?
If you do need to punch it through, use a solid steel drift almost the same diameter as the shaft you are hitting. The heavier the hammer the better.
A sledge hammer using one decent blow is so much less damaging to the end of the pivot bolt than multiple blows with a smaller hammer.
You need to be careful not to mushroom the end of the pivot bolt and damage the start of the thread.
Just let the WD40 do its work first, to un-seize the bolt, before attacking it with blunt brute force.

Ahh crap guys so i need to screw it out with that big hex first, good lord i feel ridiculous, do they make a hex that freaking big lol , i have never seen on like that, do tou know what size it is

:confused:;)
You talking about the swingarm pivot axle , that screws out , not slide out until you have un screwed that full threaded section on pivot shaft .
Thank goodness you chimed in with the correct info here Toad, it was late and I was tired and was thinking of a job I did at work the other day on a swing arm, so the info I gave was incorrect for the Busa, and I apologise for any confusion I may have caused:confused:

Thank you guys so much, for advice and also the links to past posts found out i need a 24mm hex wrench which iam having to wait a few days to get in mail , then can finally get that dang thing off.

:confused:;)
Thank goodness you chimed in with the correct info here Toad, it was late and I was tired and was thinking of a job I did at work the other day on a swing arm, so the info I gave was incorrect for the Busa, and I apologise for any confusion I may have caused:confused:
We all make mistakes sometimes at the end of the day vetteman got the help he needed regardless! Thanks for looking out for us always Kiwi, we still love you even in the rare instances where you are wrong.

Pheww! I thought I'd really blown my credibility and immaculately presented image and reputation right there man! :rolleyes:
Thanks for being supportive Jeff, I'll have to quit gettin' on the forum after midnight lols. :p

Back