Swingarm Powder? ?

Ham

Registered
This may be a stupid question but I am getting my swingarm powder coated and want to know is it really necessary to remove the bearings since they are metal.

Yes .. The last thing you want is powder getting into your bearings. Think of it as replacing the bearings so you don't have to do it in the future.

Yes .. The last thing you want is powder getting into your bearings. Think of it as replacing the bearings so you don't have to do it in the future.
I can do get the one in the shock pivot out and a damaged one. Did i fudge up. This is a extra arm that i have buy the way

I can do get the one in the shock pivot out and a damaged one. Did i fudge up. This is a extra arm that i have buy the way
I can not get the ones in the shock pivot out, and damaged one, did a funge up.

They'll come out
Just beat them out.
It's rare to remove and replace/re-use any bearing.
99% of the time you ruin a bearing removing it anyway.
They should be pressed or pulled back into place.
I don't know what those bearings look like right off. They are small needle bearings, right? Or a sealed pivot bearing?
Either way, smash em out, and pull em back in (threaded rod, washers).
Worst case, you may have to press or pull them out.
Someone (maybe you?)ask about freezing bearings before install recently.
That works great! It helps alot.
And as Rivercop said, you must take them out before powder.
Depending on application, the heat of the oven likely won't harm anything at
all, but even a little powder will ruin them quickly.

They'll come out
Just beat them out.
It's rare to remove and replace/re-use any bearing.
99% of the time you ruin a bearing removing it anyway.
They should be pressed or pulled back into place.
I don't know what those bearings look like right off. They are small needle bearings, right? Or a sealed pivot bearing?
Either way, smash em out, and pull em back in (threaded rod, washers).
Worst case, you may have to press or pull them out.
Someone (maybe you?)ask about freezing bearings before install recently.
That works great! It helps alot.
And as Rivercop said, you must take them out before powder.
Depending on application, the heat of the oven likely won't harm anything at
all, but even a little powder will ruin them quickly.
Yes they are the needle bearings, the shock mount pivot. i may have to beat the out but they will not go in further due to a lip on the inside.

Yes they are the needle bearings, the shock mount pivot. i may have to beat the out but they will not go in further due to a lip on the inside.
is the bearing necessary in the shock mount.

is the bearing necessary in the shock mount.
Yes, it helps keep the shock and swingarm moving smoothly, and not binding. Or worse, wallowing out the hole in either part, especially the aluminium swingarm.

I find a metal socket that fits over the bearing and a 3lb lump hammer works fine ... Just don't twat the swingarm !
you can't hammer the bearing through because there is a lip on the inside of the hole it would just bottom out. I am clueless as how to get this out. Think i just wasted $50 on a swing arm. I understand what you guys are saying but if you were to look at it you would understand.

you can't hammer the bearing through because there is a lip on the inside of the hole it would just bottom out. I am clueless as how to get this out. Think i just wasted $50 on a swing arm. I understand what you guys are saying but if you were to look at it you would understand.
Bring it to a shop and have them take it out.

You need to use washers(and nuts to hold them in place)and a threaded rod.
You tighten the rod and let the washers pull the bearing out.
Washers are of course smaller in diameter than the lip inside, and still big enough to grab the bearing. Threaded rod goes through the bearing.

You need to use washers(and nuts to hold them in place)and a threaded rod.
You tighten the rod and let the washers pull the bearing out.
Washers are of course smaller in diameter than the lip inside, and still big enough to grab the bearing. Threaded rod goes through the bearing.
I'll get a pic tomorrow. I don't see how this would pull them out. But i do see how it would push them in.

Back