swingarm length??

IRDEATH1340

Registered
Whats a good length for drag strip use? I have +12 extensions currently and I don't have problems with a dunlop gp a hooking up. the drag strip was just something fun to do on the weekends but now with the addition of a turbo i really want to optimize the power and hookup. I will be buying a new swingarm and cant decide on length, is +18 way to crazy and cause alot of spinning? plan on running a shinko hookup from now on also.

Last edited:
Thats a loaded question as well as very broad,but:
-How much HP?
-Stock shock?
Stock clutch,multi-stage lockup clutch?
-Streetbike?
-Dragbike?
-Gearing?
What are your ET goals;9's,8's,7s?

So is this mostly a streetbike with some dragstrip thrown in for fun or is this going to be a dragbike only? If you are going to ride on the street,+18" over stock is useless. You are going to spin everywhere as there will be no weight on the rear wheel..not to mention a LONG ass chain which *isnt really* what Id want on my turbo bike if it can be avoided,especially with a lot of hp.

Streetbike,stick to 6-9" over stock. 50/50 mix of street/drag racing/ Id still stick with a 6-9" over stock. You will need a hell of a rear shock and a lot of chassis dial in time to get it to hook with anything longer if 1/4mi runs are your main goal. If you have a boost controller and can ramp up the boost by gear,then you could go longer than 9" but again,lot of set-up and dialing in settings. Ends up in frustration.... And if you do top end runs an arm longer than 6-9" is gonna start to lose traction on the big end.

Unless you want looks over actual function,than get that +18" arm and a 300mm tire:laugh:

looking at min of 300hp, will have a nlr boost compensating clutch, and its my daily driver, just dragstrip on the weekends, et goals high 5's low 6's..already seen low 6's stock.. honestly only ran about 20 times at the local 1/8 track.. just deployed at the moment and already have the turbo and rods and pistons at the house to make 400 hp.. just wanna have it all built when i get home.. all that's left is swingarm length.. i fell comfortable with the 12 over, have about 10k miles with that setup.. just with a gen two and how the rear curves anything 8+ rubs if you lower it any.. looking at a heavy duty rear spring as well.. just don't want anything completely useless as far as swingarm goes

Not for nuthin,but running 1/8mi on a 300rwhp+ turbo bike is,umm...not really optimal. May be a bit disappointed with results without boost controller...

So then run the 12+ over arm,I think you will find it's shortcomings and then make a decision at that point.

just trying to get some input from some experienced strip riders, Ive put over 60k between two gen 2 hayabusa's, just got hooked on the strip and that's what i want to build my busa around now.. I absolutely appreciate the input.. probably end up with a ams 500, still undecided.

I wouldn't run extensions on anything I would buy a brand name extended swingarm. Seen and heard too many horror stories about cheap Chinese extensions and shoddy weld jobs. The fact your talking turbo which is gonna cost thousands why would you wanna trust a pair of extensions to handle that kind of power??

extensions are death traps imo. esp if ur going that long. 12 inches on extensions will result in u crashing at 160+ mph! you don't need to be any longer then 6 inches. I have no clue why u think 18 inches is gonna be better then 12 inches which is already WAY to long for 300 hp.

this guy is 6 inches and is going almost a 190 mph on a Turbo bike and makn way more then 300 hp....

and anything over 6 inches on the street is pretty much worthless unless you have ur rear suspension dialed in with a quality adjustable shock like one from JRI and without a quality BC ur wasting ur time.

and even with all that unless ur 280 lbs ur not gonna hook up cause ur weight is gonna be too far from the rear tire. at the track it will mean less cause its prepped but on the street ull do nothing but spin. spinning aint winning.....:whistle: I can only assume 10k miles includes street riding as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah extensions are a terrible idea on a stock bike, let alone a bike making power. The longer the extensions, the more dangerous they are.

That being said, I agree with everyone else. At 18 over its just a burnout machine. The general rule of thumb is no more then 6 over on a street bike making decent power. On our old shop bike we were at 8 over and 330hp on the daily set up. Just had a stock revalved shock set up for my weight and wheel base and it would dead hook on the street. That was with 14psi, all wastegate spring, no controller. So 8 over can be made to work if you want to put some time in to set up. Als was able to cut some 1.3x 60fts on that set up too.

As far as hitting the tail it's well work the money and piece of mind to get an extended tail. You can have your stretch, still tuck the tire, and still ride your girlfriend on back without worries. If you have a gen2 I happen to have a brand new catalyst 8 over tail sitting in a box on the shelf I can make you a deal on.

I apologize for the confusion, Ill be getting a real swingarm.. Adams, evil, or macintosh, absolutely know better than to run extensions with any good amount of power.

I wouldn't consider an evil or Adams arm a real arm. I can't tell you how many of those arms I've seen the dogbone pivots have gotten ripped off of. I actually have a turbo 1000 coming to the shop this week for just that reason.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I wouldn't consider an evil or Adams arm a real arm. I can't tell you how many of those arms I've seen the dogbone pivots have gotten ripped off of. I actually have a turbo 1000 coming to the shop this week for just that reason.

That doesn't look like any Adams arm I have ever seen.
I've been running adams for the last 13 years and I've never had a problem.
I've had turbos at 400hp and nos bikes at 360hp. 67 to 69" wheel base.

Now evil I refuse to use.

wow... so mcintosh would be the way to go?
Alumipro. go up on psychobike and put a WTB add. doesn't matter wat it looks like. I bought mine used for $600. had it powder coated and put a brand new Macintosh sticker on it and it looks brand new!

otherwise, ur lookn at $1500 with chain guard and hugger and a very long wait this time of year. I think the DME one is probably just as good like Rob said but id say over 80% of the PST bikes run a Macintosh for a reason.

Mcintosh is by far the best. Dme and velocity are awesome too. Those little skinny evil and adams are dangerous. I haven't seen many arms fail over the years, but the ones I have seen fail are those 2. Take it for what it's worth, I'd rather have the piece of mind and maybe a little extra weight. Better then laying your bike down, and or personal injury.

So post pics of those broken adams arms.
Some of the fastest grudge bikes in the country run adams arms with no failures.

So post pics of those broken adams arms.
Some of the fastest grudge bikes in the country run adams arms with no failures.

Search the Internet, they are out there. Most of those pics were on PB, and guess who the main sponsors are? Evil and Adams. There was a broken evil arm on the PB FACEBOOK page a few weeks ago and that got taken down quickly. I also got banned just for saying, "oh look, there's another broken one."

Search the Internet, they are out there. Most of those pics were on PB, and guess who the main sponsors are? Evil and Adams. There was a broken evil arm on the PB FACEBOOK page a few weeks ago and that got taken down quickly. I also got banned just for saying, "oh look, there's another broken one."
I have an Adams-modded arm on my Gen1,worked great for the last 10yrs while the bike was N/A. Slapped the big turbo on it,now the arm is twisted and needs to be replaced. I'll be doing what I did with my K5 1K,ordering a McIntosh alumipro

Evil I believe. Adams eh. I have yet to see one.
I did search. Found evil but no adams.

Back