Swingarm identification - gen 1 vs. gen 2

SuedePflow

Registered
So I have this swingarm. How do I determine if it's for Gen 1 or a Gen 2 Busa? Is there something I can measure or some other identifying feature?

20190425_221138.jpg

As Toad said, it's really just the rear brake mount that is the difference between Gen 1 and Gen 2.
Gen 1 has a brake 'torque arm' mounted on a small bracket welded to the right underside of the arm, where as Gen 2 has a slot in the right inside of the arm to secure the caliper mounting bracket/spacer.

Gen 1 torque arm . .
1556253272536.png

Gen 2 rear brake mount
1556253179868.png

I assume this is for a 2nd gen brake bracket, right?

View attachment 1598186
No , I don't think so , what you have pictured is the axle slot only , but because of the recess it could possibly use a flat plate type mount I guess ? The Gen 2 brake mount slot will usually be forward of that , just about where your picture cuts off . You can see the welded brake mount slot forward of the axle location on the Gen 2 swingarm pic . Now , you have to check whether the maker even uses this stock arrangement still or has some other under slung brake mount option in mind for Gen 2 , as a lot off extended swingarm makers do for Hayabusa regardless of Gen .

1556324687812.png

No , I don't think so , what you have pictured is the axle slot only , but because of the recess it could possibly use a flat plate type mount I guess ? The Gen 2 brake mount slot will usually be forward of that , just about where your picture cuts off . You can see the welded brake mount slot forward of the axle location on the Gen 2 swingarm pic . Now , you have to check whether the maker even uses this stock arrangement still or has some other under slung brake mount option in mind for Gen 2 , as a lot off extended swingarm makers do for Hayabusa regardless of Gen .

View attachment 1598190
Very well put Toad, even I could visualize what you were saying lol.

The brake caliper bracket isn’t the only difference with the arms. The bushing in the arm where the lowering link bolts to is different

The arm is made by Velocity. Best I can tell, they aren't around anymore. So there isn't a website or a number to call.

I'm wondering if this uses the large square channel in replacement of the smaller forward channel on the OE arm for the brake...?

I should have specified, that image is of the inside end of the swingarm, on the brake side. It appears that they use a non-OE method of mounting the brake.
That is why I mentioned the recess axle slot in your picture as a possible location for a flat plate type mount + spacer setup , the stock swingarm axle slot is flat or even slightly proud there , as seen in stock picture .

Well, I got it installed. The square portion of the caliper bracket locks in nicely to the swingarm and prevents rotation. This was my first experience with a non-OE swingarm, so I didn't realize that some makers changed up the way the brakes mount. Makes sense though, being adjustable length.

wxBTDUDfncu3LnFQoVPTBZVOod7g362iG94yE=w768-h576-no.jpg

Back