Swingarm extension

letsride

Registered
Just got some 4-9in extensions and new chain is on the way. Would it be too much at 8-9in for my rear suspension? Any safety concerns? Should I get a heavier spring? 06 Busa and about 170lbs rider weight. Don't have a passenger very often, wife prefers to ride her own bike.???

Probably going to need a different spring, I stretched my 07 six inches and the tire ended up rubbing a hole in my undertail.

It was lowered, But after you put those extensions on your probably going to want to lower yours as well or that rear end will be up in the air.

Pretty sure others will chime in with the same answer

I have the bolt on extensions on my 08 and I am back 8" over. I do ride on the street and drag race it . I check them often and over the last 2 years have had no problems. Use the RED locktite on the bolts and they have not loosened up.

I'm 8" over and have the 3 hole adjustable dog bones currently in the middle hole. I've had no problems with my spring and mine doubles as a street bike and weekend blaster. Stretch it and enjoy it!:thumbsup:

I'm lowered about an inch all around, and did not want to go lower. I have the five hole dog bones in the second hole I believe. This may change once the extensions are installed. Thanks for the info on the bolt-ons. I've been getting mixed opinions on bolt on extensions. Looking forward to the new look (and ride).

At just 1 in. on both ends you should be fairly safe but 8 over will put the tallest point of the tire right below the lowest area of your undertail (right below the very rear of tail light) which will bottom out on the bigger bumps. Do you plan to drag race or just like the look? Im 185 w/ full gear,but only 5.25 over & lowered 2 in on both ends and still manage fun in the twistys get great launches at the strip with a Metzler Dragtec (low 1.50's) perhaps try around 6 over, that will give ya better clearance
Posted via Mobile Device

Tighten the spring down ..And Your going to have to stiffen the adjustment and rebound screws also..

Did you swap rear the spring? Where from?

I swapped springs, Had Daniel at www.cloudninemotorsports do it, Used to be a sponsor here.

You may get away without needing one but I know many that havent, Just gives you a reason to get an aftermarket undertail as well, Might look into a set of soupys lowering links as well, that way you can adjust them to the exact height you want.

At just 1 in. on both ends you should be fairly safe but 8 over will put the tallest point of the tire right below the lowest area of your undertail (right below the very rear of tail light) which will bottom out on the bigger bumps. Do you plan to drag race or just like the look? Im 185 w/ full gear,but only 5.25 over & lowered 2 in on both ends and still manage fun in the twistys get great launches at the strip with a Metzler Dragtec (low 1.50's) perhaps try around 6 over, that will give ya better clearance
Posted via Mobile Device

No racing on my part, just like the look. I have an undertail installed with aftermarket lights, which takes up less room than the stock setup, but i will try different lengths before i cut my chain and make it permanent. Thnx for the info on the tire to rear end positioning.

:bowdown:Lot's of good info here from guys who ride. I hope to extend my ride in the next week or so and will check the boards for any new posts. Not to keen with changing the suspension setup but I don't want to mess up my undertail kit either. 6 or 7 inches may be ideal but I would really like to get an 8 inch stretch out of it. Wish me luck and thnx.:cheerleader:

I have Roaring Toyz extensions set at 7" over, and yes I had to get a heavy duty spring to keep from bottoming out. I also have Soupy's adjustable lowering links to bring the rear back down to ~ stock height. The front of the bike wasn't lowered.

BMW5

DSC00066.jpg

Nice looking ride, I like that seat. Where did you get your rear spring? Why did you swap it, was it bottoming out?

Nice looking ride, I like that seat. Where did you get your rear spring? Why did you swap it, was it bottoming out?

The spring came from All Things Chrome, and the seat from Ball Z Motorsport. Yes, without the heavy duty spring, the bike would bottom out.

BMW5

The spring came from All Things Chrome, and the seat from Ball Z Motorsport. Yes, without the heavy duty spring, the bike would bottom out.

BMW5

Just bought a chain from ATC( among other things), and Ball Z has some nice stuff. I will start working on getting that spring. Thanks

If you've never replaced that spring, get ready! That's a fun little piece to play with!

Really not looking forward to messing with that spring, but it's doable if I have to. I'm sure plenty of you guys have done it and will give me some good advice.:please:

Back