Swing arm thoughts...

Doc_Busa

Donating Member
Registered
I am thinking that I should get an extended swingarm for the turbo. I like the look of them around 3" extended, especially underbraced with no box. The Trac dynamics arms looked so nice to me! Frank also has some great looking swing arms.

Will the 3" help at all? Will it feel difficult to turn/control? I rode this bike with a 6-12" installed and set around 9". I HATED the way it felt...

Also, Frank, could you post some pics of your work and prices?

Thanks

I like the feel with out the extension because of riding on twisties and straights. 3" should not be bad, however if and when I extend I will not go over 2" but that is me.

Doc...You know I have the 6" fixed bolt ons...I love them I have not felt a difference in the handling...I don't ride curves so that has not been and issue...If your serious about extending I would recommend that you get a 0 to 6" adjustable or bolt ons...That way you can play with the length with the same arm...However the chains cost too...
wow.gif

You can run your bike with two master links, which is something to think about if you ever want an adjustable arm.

Just My opinion but there is noway I would run bolt on extensions with any type of a turbo bike. The torque and hp of a turbo should be taken seriously. The least little movement from a bolt on will grow to big trouble in no time.

4 inches is a good length for a turbo bike on the street. Anything over that and you'll pretty much just end up with tire spin when the boost spools up.

You can run your bike with two master links, which is something to think about if you ever want an adjustable arm.

Just My opinion but there is noway I would run bolt on extensions with any type of a turbo bike. The torque and hp of a turbo should be taken seriously. The least little movement from a bolt on will grow to big trouble in no time.

4 inches is a good length for a turbo bike on the street. Anything over that and you'll pretty much just end up with tire spin when the boost spools up.
Frank...Great point on the two master links...I'ld never have thought of that...Difference length peices of chain to negate having to buy several different chains...

I ended up getting a 3" extended arm that was a modified GSXR600 arm. I love the "no box" no brace look...

BUT, do you think this arm is strong enough to handle 300 HP? I am wondering if I need to get it underbraced???

Any help appreciated!

Doc

Most of the site's recommend underbracing at anything over 8" so you should be ok...Which one did you end up with???I'm thinking Of getting a Thompson...
evil.gif

I got one from a guy on SH.org. Not sure who made it, but it looks nice. I like the no-box look. I do wish it was underbraced though. So far, I have gotten NO feedback on this issue. Bums me out... I want to get it powder coated, but not until I am sure I can run it without the bracing...

Come on folks, help a brother out....

not tryin to diss.... but that's (in my oppenion) not a good idea. a friend of mine on a gsxr 750 did that because he got a bigger sprocket and didnt want to buy a bigger chain, so he just used 3 links off another chain and used 2 master links... and down in Daytona Florida during the summer he was stunting, and the chain broke durring a wheelie and so much stuff was broke on the motor(water pump, sprocket cover) and some other stuff. just my .02 cents

and just think.. a slow 30 mph stunt... you doing 150+ on your turbo Busa... i wouldnt do it...

Back