Swing arm extensions

Johnnie Phatt

Registered
I'm assuming there must be a law of diminishing returns on extending a swing arm
I am wondering at what point does moving the rear wheel back to prevent wheelies begin to remove traction.
I am looking at the pictures of 4" extensions and it seems to be a reasonable compromise between precise handling and improving the ability to go fast in lower gears in a straight line
I seek the knowledge and opinions of the Org.

I'm assuming there must be a law of diminishing returns on extending a swing arm
I am wondering at what point does moving the rear wheel back to prevent wheelies begin to remove traction.
I am looking at the pictures of 4" extensions and it seems to be a reasonable compromise between precise handling and improving the ability to go fast in lower gears in a straight line
I seek the knowledge and opinions of the Org.
I'm a 'handling and corners' kind of guy and have never liked the idea of long swing arms or long wheelbase, for me it defeats the purpose of sport motorcycles!

I don’t know how long I am now but I didn’t see much of a change in the corners and helps a lot with the power wheelies. I would guess I’m about 5 over. I would not risk life with extensions. They are held on by a few screws and have heard some horror stories.
I bought mine from @POWERHOUSE used for about $650. It was a great deal and adds real value to your bike.

56901EBD-54A8-4BB6-A4FB-891BA352AD35.jpeg

Just replace the arm . No bolt on can compete with the saftey of a arm . I'm a little guy John , and can handle the bird wot . You should just lean over the tank more or use a lead filled front axle .
Inwas watching a Brock’s video the other day and he was saying they use to make a lead block that fit in the front fairing of the busa.

I don’t know how long I am now but I didn’t see much of a change in the corners and helps a lot with the power wheelies. I would guess I’m about 5 over. I would not risk life with extensions. They are held on by a few screws and have heard some horror stories.
I bought mine from @POWERHOUSE used for about $650. It was a great deal and adds real value to your bike.

View attachment 1595203
Damn that is a nice arm I like how clean it looks in the back with the concealed axle.

Mathew when I was still racing a lot there was a nice guy who ran a slick ZX14 with twin lead ballasts hidden in the fairing sides . They were molded , shaped , and bolted onto the bike . he had amazing 60' times on a SWB ZX with bolt ons . Running high 8's with ease , and consistent . they were 30 lb each if memory serves me .

I'm 8 over. I run on the street. But mine makes it to the drag strip often. Just my opinion... But if you're going to stretch it buy a swing arm. Not sure how safe the bolt on extensions are. But I am sure they look Cheesy! Your Busa deserves better. Again, just my opinion...

I would definitely buy an arm. My question was more towards how long can you go before the lack of weight on the tire causes more wheelspin and a loss of traction rather than assists in preventing power wheelies

I would definitely buy an arm. My question was more towards how long can you go before the lack of weight on the tire causes more wheelspin and a loss of traction rather than assists in preventing power wheelies
That depends on some other factors as well, weight transfer (shock), traction (tire compound) and power level to name a few. Look at some of the grudge bikes out there with a flat slick, they're looooong. The more pertinent question for you I think is how long of an arm do I need to get the power I have (or want) to the ground as quickly as I can? What kind of riding do you do? An arm isn't necessarily to prevent power wheelies, rather it's designed to allow maximum power to be brought in as quickly as possible. The trade-off is decreased non-linear handling. The longer a bike's wheelbase is, the more effort required to turn it. If you aren't getting your bike to wot in first gear then you don't need an arm. If you just want one for looks and are willing to trade flickability for straight line acceleration, then go for it. If you mostly like riding the twisties then an arm makes less sense.

Back