Swapping tree clamp.

NightCrawler

Love all. Trust a few. Do wrong to none.
Donating Member
Registered
Yeah ... okay .. bad joke.

Anyways, I plan on getting a lowering clamp (hopefully chrome) by the end of the month and have begun my research on how to properly remove the stock one and replace it with the new one. I did a search here ( ) on the triple tree but didn't run across anything mentioning how to swap them. I also noticed many here chose to take the "riser" route. Though it seems much easier to do it that way, I'm opting to take the clamp route.

Can anyone here explain to me how to go about doing this or maybe point me toward some sort of tutorial? Also, it appears as if I'm going to have to remove the handlebars. Is there a surefire way to place them on the new clamp so that they are positioned the way they were on the old one, or is it guess work?

its not hard at all. but it is tricky when you lower the clamp and allow the forks slide through. the triple tree it self is easy remover the handle bars loosen the 4 bolts and done but now the tricky part. you will have to remove the nose to get to the lower fork clamps. this will be a 2 man show to be safe and make it easy. you will have to loosen the bottom clamp in the front of the forks not all the way but just enough so thats the forks slide through. now under your triple tree their the lower clamp you will see a bolt that compresses the clamp to the forks not be careful cause if you loosen to much the clamp the triple tree will slam down too low so the catch is loosen lil by little till you can lower it with a rubber mallet and while lowering measure the fork and the triple tree on top, i went about an inch. i hope this helped maybe someone else has a better way. if you run in to issues or if you want help let me know. im always willing to help out.

now under your triple tree their the lower clamp you will see a bolt that compresses the clamp to the forks

Do you mean these?

1b.JPG

remover the handle bars loosen the 4 bolts and done

Just to be certain, are you speaking of the 4 bolts I dotted green? I thought those just keep the reservoirs attached to the handle bars ... not the handle bars attached to the clamp.

I'm just trying to get everything down now so when I get the clamp I can just flow through the installation.

1c.JPG

(NightCrawler @ Nov. 10 2006,03:13) now under your triple tree their the lower clamp you will see a bolt that compresses the clamp to the forks

Do you mean these?
yes those are the ones and yes you will have to remove the nose cause their is another set of fork clamps you must loosen

also the other pic will remove the levers and res. you can remove them to make things simple and then you will see a screw on the triple tree that you will ave to take off so you can slide out the handle bars also you see the four chrome dots on the triple tree its self those are caps remove them and be careful they are stubborn and crack easy, under there you will see hex screw and under the the trees you will see the nuts they are screwed into.

I didn't remove the nose when I did mine.

Remove screws that hold the handle bars completely, otherwise the bars won't come out.

You need to securely hold the front end of the bike off the ground such that the bike is not sitting on the front wheels or forks.  The front suspension needs to be completely unloaded.

Loosen pinch bolts on top tree.

Remove big nut on top tree.

Remove top tree.  Install new tree in reverse order.

To lower the bike.

Loosen pinch bolts on upper and lower trees.  Lower tree bolts are hard to get to.

Once loosened, slide each fork tube up an equal amount on both sides, then tighten.  Getting them to slide will be a little tricky.  I recommend 1.25".

Tighten everything up.

Notes:
Installation of a top tree that replaces both top trees is similar.  You just need to remove the ignition switch and remount it.  A security Torx wrench is needed for that.

Getting the bars lined up is a little tricky to depending on the brand of clamp you use. You'll have to do trial and error to get it just right.

YOU CAN REPLACE THE TOP TREE WITHOUT LIFTING THE FRONT OF THE BIKE OFF OF THE GROUND AS LONG AS YOU DON'T LOOSEN THE LOWER PINCH BOLTS ON THE LOWER TREE. THIS WILL ALLOW YOU TO GET THE NEW CLAMP INSTALLED AND BARS ADJUSTED BEFORE YOU LOWER THE BIKE. WHEN IT'S TIME TO LOWER THE BIKE YOU MUST REMOVE PRESSURE FROM THE FRONT END OTHER WISE WHEN YOU LOOSEN ALL OF THE PINCH BOLTS THE WEIGHT OF THE BIKE WILL PUSH EVERYTHING UP THROUGH AND YOU WILL BE SITTING THERE TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO GET THE FORKS BACK DOWN THROUGH THE TUBES.

I hope that's clear.

Good luck.

I think he means the (4) bolts on the top tree cover where it says Hayabusa logo.
Those are bolts there...you need to pry off the little covers on top first,then u will see that they are bolts.
After you do this,the whole handlebar/set up will come off,and you will now see the 'real' top triple tree.....

Remove big nut on top tree.

Unless you are talking about what I have circled, I have no clue which nut you mean.

Edit:
Gotcha brendanp.

1d.JPG

(brendanp @ Nov. 10 2006,12:39) That is it,but ya gotta remove the top cover first......
Do I have to remove that nut if I'm only swapping out the top (grey) clamp?

If you're only swapping out the top cover part of the clamp, you don't need to remove the 'big nut'.  To do that you need to pry off the (4) little caps, then remove the bolts and cover.  You still need to remove the handlbars from the top cover and put on the new piece.

You can do all of this before you lower the bike, so it can be just sitting there on the side stand.

Once you go go lower it, I recommend you support the front such that the suspension is unloaded before you start.

Got it! I think I'm good to go.

Thanks to all.

PS
jjBusa ... check your PM.

To access the lower clamps pinch bolts, I pull the lower nose cover off, pop the 4 push-pins and slide it out, then I put the front on a stem stand, reach up in there with a 1/4" ratchet and socket, loosen pinch bolts. Once done adjusting the height, snug the pinch bolts, take it off the stem stand and let it rest on the ground with rider weight on it, verify it wont be too low. Once verified, tighten the pinch bolts, replace under-nose cover w/ 4 push-pins and tighten all other pinch bolts, etc..

Back