Swapping the 220 for the 185 speedo

Charlesbusa

Used to be a SoCal Busa
Donating Member
Registered
I have the entire instrument cluster for a 2000 busa. And separated it into the three peices; the cover, the guages/electronic board, and the back cover. To swap the 220 face plate with my 185 face plate(2002 busa) I have to remove the needle then unscrew to two screws. How hard is it to pop off the needle without breaking it?? Lots of guys have done the illumiglo mod, how hard was it?? Is there something I should know about the needle before trying it myself?? Does it just pop back on or do you have to mark which way it was facing to put it back into the same spot it was pointing to??

Any help would be appreicated. I could just swap out the cluster, but then the mileage will be off by 8,000 miles.

i know for auto's that the background kits come with a piece of paper to mark where all the guages are at, before removal. and the needle just pops off their is a tool looks like a bent fork but try just pulling it off and see if that works.
smile.gif

THERE IS A THREAD ON HERE THAT TALKS ABOUT THIS IN MORE DETAIL I JUST DID MINE, WAS KINDA TRICKY BUT DOSNT TAKE A ROCKET SCIENTIST TO FIGURE OUT I HAD A PROBLEM OF THE NEEDLES WHEN I WAS ALL DONE I STARTED IT UP AND RESET THE GAUGES AND IT WAS READING 15 MPH WHEN I WASNT MOVING, SO I HAD TO END UP TAKING THE GAUGES COMPLETLY APART AND LIFT THE NEEDLE STRAIGHT UP FROM 15 MPH AND ONCE OFF PUSH IT BACK ON POINTING AT 0 SOME HOW I GUESS THE NEEDLE GOT MOVED WHEN I FIRST TOOK THEM OFF NONE OF THE OTHERS FUEL, RPM, OR TEMP. WAS OFF BUT I GUESS THIS ONE HAPPENED TO MOVE. BUT ITS FIXED NOW.... TO GET THE NEEDLES OFF I READ ON SOMEONE ELSES THREAD JUST TAKE 2 SPOONS ( EATING UTENSILES) AND PUT ONE ON EACH SIDE OF TEH NEEDLE AND PRY UP NOT TOO HARD BUT THEY WILL SLIDE PRETTY FREELY, AND THEN JUST SWAP OUT AND PUSH THEM BACK ON BE CAREFUL WHEN TAKING OFF NOT TO TWIST THE NEEDLE FROM ZERO OR YOU WILL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM I DID WHEN PUTTING ALL BACK TOGETHER.... IF YOU HAVE ANYMORE PROBLEMS I WILL EMAIL YOU THE THREAD I HAVE IT SAVED NOT SURE THE LINK... BUT DROP ME A MAIL IF YOU HAVE ANYMORE QUESTIONS..... IF YOU KNOW ANYONE LOOKING TO HAVE THEIR INNERS PAINTED OR SOME CUSTOM CHROME SLEEK MIRRORS EMAIL ME FOR MORE INFORMATION BAGGEDN20SCHEVY@AOL.COM

wheelie.gif

Why Not Just a 220 Gauge face, and a Speedo Healer? Wouldn't that work? I mean if you didn't allready have the 220 Instruments?

THERE IS A THREAD ON HERE THAT TALKS ABOUT THIS IN MORE DETAIL I JUST DID MINE, WAS KINDA TRICKY BUT DOSNT TAKE A ROCKET SCIENTIST TO FIGURE OUT I HAD A PROBLEM OF THE NEEDLES WHEN I WAS ALL DONE I STARTED IT UP AND RESET THE GAUGES AND IT WAS READING 15 MPH WHEN I WASNT MOVING, SO I HAD TO END UP TAKING THE GAUGES COMPLETLY APART AND LIFT THE NEEDLE STRAIGHT UP FROM 15 MPH AND ONCE OFF PUSH IT BACK ON POINTING AT 0 SOME HOW I GUESS THE NEEDLE GOT MOVED WHEN I FIRST TOOK THEM OFF NONE OF THE OTHERS FUEL, RPM, OR TEMP. WAS OFF BUT I GUESS THIS ONE HAPPENED TO MOVE. BUT ITS FIXED NOW.... TO GET THE NEEDLES OFF I READ ON SOMEONE ELSES THREAD JUST TAKE 2 SPOONS ( EATING UTENSILES) AND PUT ONE ON EACH SIDE OF TEH NEEDLE AND PRY UP NOT TOO HARD BUT THEY WILL SLIDE PRETTY FREELY, AND THEN JUST SWAP OUT AND PUSH THEM BACK ON BE CAREFUL WHEN TAKING OFF NOT TO TWIST THE NEEDLE FROM ZERO OR YOU WILL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM I DID WHEN PUTTING ALL BACK TOGETHER.... IF YOU HAVE ANYMORE PROBLEMS I WILL EMAIL YOU THE THREAD I HAVE IT SAVED NOT SURE THE LINK... BUT DROP ME A MAIL IF YOU HAVE ANYMORE QUESTIONS..... IF YOU KNOW ANYONE LOOKING TO HAVE THEIR INNERS PAINTED OR SOME CUSTOM CHROME SLEEK MIRRORS EMAIL ME FOR MORE INFORMATION BAGGEDN20SCHEVY@AOL.COM
Thanxs for the info. did the two spoons and it worked like a charm. I'll do a speed test with busahaya to see how far off it reads now. The 220 markings are slightly off from the 185 markings, and the computer doesn't know I swapped the guage face plate.

Why Not Just a 220 Gauge face, and a Speedo Healer?    Wouldn't that work?  I mean if you didn't allready have the 220 Instruments?
But I wanted to keep my mileage, the other instrument cluster had 8,000 more miles on it than my mine. More so to keep track of services, I'll never sell my busa!!

Right, I meant the Gauge face...  Just the Plastic bits with the numbers on it?  There are custom one's out there, and there isn't any need to replace anything else...  

<a href="http://www.exoticsportbike.com/colored_gauge_faces.htm" target="_blank">
Gauge Faces</a>

You allready have the whole cluster, but I am after weather or not just buying the 220 gauge face and a Speedo healer would work, as apposed to replacing the entire assembly...

Dunno if I'm wrong here, Rev, but I think the Speedo Healer only works to correct speed reading that's thrown off by sprocket changes. (?)

Please enlighten me if I'm asborbing wrong info...
smile.gif

You allready have the whole cluster, but I am after weather or not just buying the 220 gauge face and a Speedo healer would work, as apposed to replacing the entire assembly...
Ahhh I understand, I got the 2000 instrument cluster for free.  I could've ordered the illumiglo or others, but that would cost money.  This was a free mod!!

I took the 220 face plate off the 2000 cluster and removed my 185 face plate off my 2002 cluster, then put the 220 face plate on my 2002 instrument cluster. This way I keep my mileage.

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1101783046 -->

thumbs-up.gif
Cool that's what I was wondering... Thanks Charles.

PAC, Bro, I am pretty certain that the Healer doesn't give a shid why your speedo is off, it can correct it... I THINK....

aah...I see.

But what I meant to say was that it doesn't only heal the MPH reading? I didn't know that it could also correct mileage.

If that's the case, I'm gonna git me one and have the Odometer set to "0" everytime I ride.

Just sounds a little illegal to mess with the odo on vehicles. Or am I wrong on this too? Damn...I need to start absorbing the right information!
smile.gif

rock.gif
Um, No PAC... I don't think the speedo Healer effects the Odo, by any means other than just preventing your regeared bike from railing up a bunch of false milage... Hell it might not even help there... I dunno off hand how the Busa tracks it's milage...
rock.gif

Have to go do some reading.

rock.gif

clear as mud
wink.gif

actually I think I read somewhere that you can correct for the gauge faces using the speedo healer and/or yellow box...not sure if both do it or just one but pretty sure you can do it.

Hope so anyways, I ordered a set of 220 gauge faces. My plan currently subject to motion research getting their product out, is to use the headsup display to tell me how fast I'm moving, check it against a GPS just to make sure and then maybe some day worry with adjusting the factory spedo to the 220 plates. of course I could be investing in a speedo healer very soon
rock.gif

The speedo healer is only to correct the speed reading of the bike, which also corrects the rate that the odometer accumilates miles. Yes it IS ILLEGAL to mess with the odometer. It is considered fraud to knowing sell a vehicle (of any street legal kind) that show fewer miles that have actually been put on that vehicle. Who cares if your going to keep the bike forever, but if you crash and total it insurance can be a royal PITB.

Back